Status: halted.

Pursuit

New Tidings We Bring, “Sunday’s Showdown”

Charlene stepped out of the elevator and quickly shuffled and stopped at where Ian stood with his back facing her. Her left hand held onto the small athlete’s bag full of her drenched clothes from Saturday and her right hand tapped on Ian’s shoulder signaling that she was prompt and ready to leave.
Ian swerved around his body to her and his heart thumped quicker at the sight of her standing and healthy once again, out of the white clothing given by the medical team and into her ordinary wear that the Haners had handed to a nurse to give to Charlene: a grey v-neck shirt hugging her body revealing her petite curved waist, black denim skinny jeans starting at her hips and rolled up at the bottom for her size, and black-and-white slip-on Vans, as well as the new accessory: beige bandages hugging her forehead underneath her fringe and lunged to the bottom of the back of her head also underneath her hair. It was obvious—Ian was falling for her simple nature.
“So, we’re ready?” Charlene asked with a smile at the expression Ian had on his face.
He shook his head, “Uh, yeah.” He bent down and picked Charlene’s bag from her hands and turned around as the two started walking to the sliding exit doors of the building.
“Do you need to take any medication or have any checkups?” Ian peered down at his attracting friend while they crossed the driveway and into the parking lot.
Charlene shook her head, the pain had lessened dramatically after her night’s rest at the hospital, “Well, actually,” Ian brought out his remote and pressed the ‘unlock’ button upon walking to the Titan’s doors. “The doctor told me to see him next week to see if my head was going well and that if I wanted pain-killers, Tylenol would do the trick.” She opened the front passenger’s door and slid into the seat as Ian opened the driver’s door and placed Charlene’s bag behind her seat.
“That’s good, nothing serious.” Ian said closing his door and pushing in and turning the truck’s keys to start the engine.
Before she clicked in her seatbelt, Charlene leaned over to Ian and kissed his cheek.
Ian quickly turned his head to her with a puzzling look.
Charlene giggled, “Thanks for caring.”
He smiled and returned to shifting the gear to ‘Reverse’, “There’s no other way.”
Ian looked through his rear-view mirror and slowly backed his car from the parking space.
Charlene remembered about what Mr. Haner told her and shot up from her seat, “Oh, hey, Ian?”
“Yeah?” He had successfully brought out the truck and changed the gear to ‘Drive’.
“You think you could take me to, um,” Charlene pondered on her next word, would she call them her parents? “meet my folks?”
Ian stopped short from his drive out of the lot, he looked with shock at Charlene. “Your folks?”
“Yeah.” She smiled, hoping that the warmness she expressed would calm him from his frenzy.
“Already?”
She laughed. “Yeah, they wanted to meet you soon, so I thought, ‘Why not now?’ I mean, we’re free, aren’t we? Unless … you already had plans?”
“Well,” Ian returned to his driving, with less panic. “I guess that could be called hanging out.”
Charlene laughed again, “Seems that it could be, so what do you say?”
“Uh, sure.” Ian stopped again at the stop logo, this time. “Are we meeting at the apartment?”
“Oh, no! They’re a few blocks down from the school, on 140th and Rosecrans.”
Ian lifted his eyebrow, but still continued on to drive toward their school’s area. “Okay.”

On the ride back to the neighborhood of Rolling High, Charlene had quickly dozed off into a short nap once they had hit the freeway. Ian had glanced every now and then smiling at his sleeping beauty.
After halting the truck to a stop behind other vehicles at the red light of the exit of the freeway, Ian shook and whispered to Charlene to wake up.
Charlene slowly lifted her heavy lids and yawned stretching up to a proper sitting posture. “Hm?”
The light turned green and the truck drove onto Freeman Ave.
“Just wanted to wake you up before we get there.”
Charlene pouted sheepishly at him and went back to her sleeping pose.
Ian laughed, “Okay, now seriously, which house is it?”
Charlene leisurely rose back up against her seat. “It’s white.”
“Thanks.” He said flatly in a sarcastic tone, Charlene giggled in return.
Ian left the busy street of Freeman and into the quiet vicinity of the school’s area. He searched the street signs for ‘Rosecrans’, “I bet they already hate me.”
Charlene leaned on the palm of her right arm that was propped on the cushion of the door. “No they don’t. They just really want to meet you, the one who saved me from drowning!” She exaggerated as if she was a wailing princess held captive by sharks, raising her hand to her forehead and rolling her eyes to the top of the truck.
Ian laughed, “I would have saved you whether we were I was attracted to you or not.”
Charlene crossed her arms across her chest with an ‘umph’, “And I was trying to feel special.”
Ian stopped the truck at a stop sign and bent over to Charlene giving her a peck on her bandaged forehead, “But you will always be special to me,” and withdrew with a smile, still eyeing her.
She smiled back which quickly faltered, “Was that a pun?”
“You might wanna dumb down your nerdy vocabulary for an ordinary guy here.” Ian grinned while Charlene rose her right eyebrow. “Just kidding! Damn,” Ian laughed again and turned to face to street to find himself facing the block of 140th and Rosecrans. “Is it the dark white one or the light white one?” He pointed at the two houses next to each other across from where they stopped.
Charlene brought her act together and pointed at the lighter house, “The light one, the one without the Astrovan.”
“Okay,” Ian sluggishly drove the truck to the driveway of the Haner’s household.
“Don’t worry, they’ll like you!” Charlene comforted Ian, patting his shoulder of which she enjoyed the muscular figure in her mind.
“Sure hope so,” Ian said while he turned off the engine. He pulled out his keys and slumped back into his seat with a sigh staring at the white garage door in front of him.
Charlene unbuckled herself and leaned over at Ian resting her head on his shoulder. “You’ll be fine, just don’t be afraid. They really do want to meet you because they want to know who I’m with while I’m out.”
Ian rolled his head to Charlene’s head, “You mean a date?”
Charlene sat back up to her seat, her body still toward the slouched Ian. She brought up her index finger to the bottom of her lower lip, “Uh, I unno, were we on a date?”
Ian sat back up and leaned closer to Charlene who tilted her body back away from the oncoming Ian, their faces soon became inches apart as Charlene backed herself against the passenger’s door. In a monotone voice that was so richly velvety that made Charlene almost melt, Ian spoke lowly, “I’m pretty sure that we were on a date.”
Charlene’s ribcage was being pounded against by her heart beating so strongly at the proximity they were now at. She slowly closed her eyes to then follow Ian lean back to his seat with his right hand holding her athletic bag and opened his door with his left. Charlene decided to save herself from embarrassment so she finished closing her eyes with a fake yawn, only to be followed by a real one as she slipped out of the truck.
She rubbed her eyes upon walking around the front of the truck and into the arms of Ian where they stood at the beginning of the pathway to the front door.
When Charlene stopped, she looked at the door and noticed that they were not moving forward. She looked up to find a serious and observing Ian. Charlene looked back to the door and lifted her right foot, placing it firmly down about a foot before her.
Ian figured Charlene’s notion, so he followed too: he placed his right foot ahead. And slowly the couple progressed until arm’s reach to the doorbell.
Charlene’s left arm was around Ian’s waist, and spotting Ian in a frozen position again, she rubbed his back, causing him to gulp and put on a relaxed face with a warm vibe as he reached out and pushed the golden-colored doorbell to the left of the dark brown wood door.
DINGG-DONGG!
The only sound that could be heard was the passing of the cars two blocks away from the main street.
Not tearing his eyes away from the door, Ian spoke, “Are they home?”
“They should be,” Charlene looked up again and her ears perked up to the new sound that came from behind the entry to the house; the shuffling of feet and murmuring of voices.
Soon, the door swung ajar viewing a very bright woman holding the door knob from behind with her left hand and a grim man with his arms crossed behind her. Their eyes were glued onto Ian, until Charlene grunted a small cough for which they moved their never-ending glance to the bandaged petite girl next to the tall man-looking boy.
“Oh! Charlene!” The woman jumped up clapping her hands then rushed into a big bear hug with the girl.
Charlene smiled into her shoulder, and her words muffled with Ian not being able to understand clearly, “Hey Mrs. Haner.”
The two departed from their tight embrace; Mrs. Haner gently swept up Charlene’s bangs with her glowing warm smile and Charlene smiled back bringing her right arm around the woman’s waist so they could walk into the house.
“Yes! Let’s get into the house first!” Mrs. Haner exclaimed and clung onto Charlene beside her as she walked through the brown doorframe, Ian following behind and Mr. Haner closing the door after.
Mrs. Haner released her grip on Charlene, as Charlene dropped her hold too, and told the couple to sit, “Please do sit and make yourself comfortable!”
Charlene nodded and took Ian’s hand leading him to the brown-leathered couch that was seated against the cream-white wall. The two mannerly sat themselves down, with Ian placing down the bag of Charlene’s belongings on the light brown wooden floor before the front leg of the couch. They sat closely to the each other: Charlene’s knees touching the lower end of Ian’s thighs and Ian’s feet shading Charlene’s from the sun’s rays that lit through the white laced curtains of the Charlene-sized window to the right of them.
Charlene grinned as a greeting to the married couple while they sat down on the similar couch across her, a shin-high pearly-white table in between. There was one more brown-leathered couch whose back was facing the window.
Ian studied the room that he stepped in passed the door; the livingroom. The black widescreen digital television hung high on the cream wall to the left of him. To the left of the TV, was the entrance of the house’s kitchen that revealed the white and blue marble floor and brown oak dinner table under a small diamond chandelier. To the right of the TV, was an open hallway. Two doors were already visible to Ian’s view: he saw the hallway still continuing after the corner and a sideways door, across the corner, more forward than the door he had entered, he had guessed that it led to the garage. The entire room was white, only the doors and the couches were brown. He noticed out of the corner of his observing eyes, Charlene had rose up.
“Um, this is,” she pointed with her left hand to the now standing Ian. “Ian.”
Mr. and Mrs. Haner rose in unison, Mrs. Haner being the first to open her arms to Ian.
Mrs. Haner and Ian closed the gap with a quick hug, “Nice to meet you, Ian…”
“Lawson. Ian Lawson, ma’am.”
She giggled before stepping aside for her husband to greet Ian, “Please, call me ‘Mrs. Haner’.”
Confusion rippled lightly on Ian’s face, Haner?, he wondered, but smiled and agreed nonetheless. “Of course, Mrs. Haner.”
She stood back while Mr. Haner brought out his right hand to Ian. Ian leaned over to him and they shook hands. “It’s good to finally see you, Mr. Lawson.”
“It’s good to see you to, sir, or, Mr. Haner?”
Mr. Haner nodded, “Yes, I’m ‘Mr. Haner’.”
Ian nodded in return and they all sat down on their couch.
Charlene turned her body to face a little more to Ian, as did Ian to Charlene. Mr. Haner leaned back on the couch and rested his left arm on the top of the couch behind his wife who sat properly straight laying her hands on her knees.
“So, Lawson, huh?” Mr. Haner interrogated.
“Yes sir.” Ian replied.
“You wouldn’t be in the same Lawson family that has been known for their football brothers now?” Mrs. Haner and Charlene smiled at the two conversing.
“Uh, actually, yeah, that would be it. My brothers have set up the stakes.” Ian chuckled trying to lessen the tense in the room.
“The critics are watching you carefully, but don’t think too much or have the pressure get to you.” Mr. Haner comforted Ian.
Ian relaxed slightly, “I’ll be sure to do that.”
Mrs. Haner spoke up with a concerned look, “The incident hasn’t been posted to the public, has it?”
“Oh, no!” Ian shook his head and hands to calm her. “Don’t worry Mrs. Haner,” Ian placed his left arm around Charlene and squeezed her waist. “No one was at the scene and the lifeguards and paramedics won’tsay a word. The only thing the public knows is that a couple had gotten hurt in Long Beach.”
“Oh,” Mrs. Haner let out a sigh of relief, releasing the immense worry from her shoulders. “I’m glad to hear that.”
“And how are you doing with the crash?” Mr. Haner asked.
“I’m in perfect shape than to,” Ian looked down at Charlene. “This one over here.” He smiled while stroking her right arm with his left thumb.
“Well, thankfully everyone’s in a healthy condition.” Charlene chirped up.
The Haners nodded while Ian squirmed into his seat.
“Um, do you mind if I could go to the bathroom?” Ian cautiously asked.
“Yeah.” Mr. Haner stood up and pointed to the door directly behind him.
“Thank you.” And Ian quickly walked to the designated room.
Mr. Haner turned back around and sat down after Ian closed the door behind him. “Is there anything that Dr. Carmen prescribed to you, Charlene?” Mrs. Haner wondered.
“Nope.” Charlene shook her head.
“So there’s no pain?” Mr. Haner questioned, a hint of concern and worry could be detected in his voice.
“Well, there’s a little, but nothing huge or serious. Dr. Carmen said that if I wanted pain-killers, Tylenol would be best.”
“Alright, we wouldn’t want to let down your parents.” Mr. Haner said softly for only the three to hear, they could still understand his comment through the sound of the toilet flushing and the water being turned on to run.
Their quietness was disturbed the sound of keys jingling and the door becoming unlocked.
“Brian must be home.” Mrs. Haner cheerfully rose up and walked to the door to greet her son.
The door opened and indeed, it was Brian who came home. “Hello, honey.” Mrs. Haner and Brian engulfed into a hug.
“Hey Mom.” Mrs. Haner stepped back for her husband to say hello.
Mr. Haner nodded. “Hey pops,” Brian grinned.
Brian noticed to the far left of him a sitting Charlene, his grin grew wider and he just about jolted to Charlene who rose up as Mrs. Haner closed the door while another door opened.
Brian hugged Charlene tightly but gave some just a bit loose so he wound not injure her. Charlene brought her arms around his back and they stood there breathing each other’s welcoming scent. Brian then released his hold and laid his hands down on Charlene’s shoulders, where Charlene stood smiling up at him, her arms hung down at her sides, and surveyed the injured girl.
Mr. and Mrs. Haner turned around to see Ian had returned and now entered the small reunion.
“Are you okay?” Brian asked, both unaware that Ian was now in the room.
“Yup!” Charlene smiled.
Brian laughed in returned and patted her shoulder.
“Brian,” Mrs. Haner interrupted. “Ready to meet Charlene’s new boyfriend?”
Charlene blushed and giggled as Brian raised his eyebrow then lowered it back, “Yeah,” he turned around.
Ian’s eyes grew slightly wider in shock where Brian was completely calm, perfectly prepared to meet Ian.
Brian was the first to make the move, he walked around the table and past the couch his parents had sat in. Ian forwarded to Brian and brought out his right hand.
Charlene beamed watching Brian and Ian shake hands and got to know each other.
“Ian Lawson, right?”
“Yeah, and … Brian Haner?” Ian said in question.
“Junior.” Brian nodded his chin to his dad behind Ian.
Ian glanced at Mr. Haner before looking back at Brian and understood.
“Well, I bet you’re wondering and confused about the situation here, with our last names and all.” Ian quickly looked over at Mrs. Haner who was smiling assuring him that everything could be handled. “Take a seat, it’s going to be…” She then looked worriedly over at Charlene.
Charlene nodded and gazed into Ian’s eyes. “Deep.” Her face serious but still warm; she patted to the spot Ian had vacated.
“Okay,” Ian spoke softly and returned to his seat, as did the Haners and now Brian sat in the couch whose back was facing the window.
Charlene placed her hands over Ian’s who looked down worriedly at her. She smiled and squeezed his hands telling him it was okay. Ian smiled back, not fully, and looked at Mr. and Mrs. Haner, ready for the news that would make things clearer.
Brian leaned back against the comfortable couch with his left arm over the top of the couch, his eyes never leaving Ian’s face, his expression never altering from being stern and of a protected watch.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was a pretty short chapter /:

And I think I forgot to mention more of Charlene’s appearance, ahem, her bandaged head.