Sequel: Can't Have You

From Gumboots To Jimmy Choo's

Venice Beach

"WAKE UP TOMMY!" I screamed, running into his bedroom. It was Friday morning and also Tommy's birthday.

"Arghh! No, go away Zoe!" Tommy groaned, ducking under his covers. I placed my hands on my hips.

"You've got three seconds mister." I growled.

"Don't you dare Zoe!" Came Tommy's muffled warning.

"One!" I began.

"ZOE!"

"Two!"

"I mean it!"

"THREE!"

I took a running start and jumped onto his bed, bouncing on it.

"Alright, alright I'm up!" He yelled, defeated, throwing off his bed covers. I averted my gaze as I saw he was only in his boxer shorts.

"Geez, put some clothes on man!" I said, shutting my eyes, "You're blinding me!"

"What? By my stunning good looks?" Tommy laughed. I heard a drawer opening and then he said I could open my eyes.

"You can look idiot." Tommy remarked.

"Good." I picked up his pillow and threw it at him, "Happy birthday idiot."

"Oh, thank you so very much for that." He laughed.

"I can't believe your seventeen.." I said.

"Why's that?" Tommy asked, sitting next to me and yawning.

"We're getting older." I said softly. I didn't like it. I'd never wanted to get older.

"Aw, come here." Tommy said and pulled me into a hug.

"It's all changing. I mean come on, you're almost eighteen. An adult." I said glumly.

"Hey, no being sad on my birthday okay? After school, you and I will hang out yeah?" He asked.

"Sure." I nodded against his chest, inhaling his chocolate cookie scent.

"Okay, now let me get ready kay. I'll be down in about half an hour." Tommy smiled, kissing the top of my head, "Now go make me my breakfast."

"Pfft. You want it, you make it." I stuck my tongue out at him, giggling before running out of the room as he threw a pillow at me.

I had finished cooking the stack of pancakes when Tommy came downstairs. I put them on the island counter with syrup, frozen berries and a plate for him.

"Happy birthday darling." Aunt Laura said, coming in and giving him a kiss on the head as he sat down.

"Thanks mom." He replied when she put his present on the counter. He grinned and opened it, finding five new PS3 games and a hundred dollar voucher for some music store.

"Sweet! Thanks!" He grinned, giving his mother a hug. Lisa trudged in, yawning and her sticking up in random directions, gave Tommy his present and a mumbled 'Happy Birthday' before walking back out.

I laughed as Tommy opened it, finding a photo of him and Lisa at the beach about a year ago with 'To The Coolest Brother' 'From Lisa' engraved in the metal frame.

"Aw, that's so cute." I smiled at it.

"So, where's your present cuz?" Tommy asked.

"Nah. You don't get it until after school." I grinned.

"That's not fair!" Tommy protested.

"Shut up and eat your breakfast, I have to go get ready. Theo and I will pick you up outside school okay? Have fun at school." I grinned, giving him a hug and going upstairs to shower and change.

I was dressed and ready by the time Theo arrived at eight.

"Did you tell Tommy we'd-"

"Yep." I cut him off. This morning I had another three hour lesson and then a photo shoot then an interview with BOP Magazine plus a photo shoot with them.

We drove to the institute where my tutor worked. Usually she'd come over to mine but today she had a class right after my lesson so she didn't have time.

"Hey Lucy." I smiled, walking into the room. It was a typical classroom with desks and chairs and a whiteboard apart from the exception that my tutor was a University teacher.

"Hello Zoe, sit down, I'm just getting the last of your reading papers." She said.

I sat down in a chair and soon she joined me. Lucy Cameron was a stocky, slightly overweight woman in about her forties with black hair pinned in a French bun and always in a suit.

"So, today we learn about the African-American Bus Boycott. You've heard of Rosa Parks, I assume?" She asked me.

"Yeah, we were taught about her in Social Studies." I answered, pulling my writing book and pens out.

"Good, now I want you to write everything down you know of the Bus Boycott. After that, we begin Algebra II."

I groaned and she laughed. "If you want to pass, you might want to get started."

Three hours later and I had a sore head fro being stuffed with too much information. I walked with Theo back to the car and then got into the front. It was eleven-thirty and time for my photo shoot. This time we were going to a different building for it. This building was large and had people coming in and out of it.

"Hi, Zoe Cooper yes?" The lady at the receptionist desk asked. I nodded.

"Right through here." She said and lead me down the hallway and up the stairs into a fairly large room.

"Hi Zoe, I'm Michael, this is my assistant Corinne. If you just go next door and get changed then we'll get started." The photographer said.

I was sent through another door to get changed. Today I was put into denim shorts, purple and pink converse, a yellow tank top and a cropped purple hoodie with stars all over it. My hair was straightened for the first time in years and then my make-up was done in pastel colours; pale yellow and purple for my eyes, pink blush and pink lip-gloss.

The background I was standing in front of had falling pink, purple and gold stars in the background, it was glittery and very girly. All in all though, it was quite cool.

"Okay, now give it all you got." Michael smiled as he began to take my photo.

I posed as best as I could for farmer girl and then I was given a few kittens to play with. They were so adorably cute, I couldn't stop from smiling and laughing.

By twelve-thirty I was finally done. I changed back into my own clothes and then we left, heading to meet the BOP interviewer. We arrived at about one o clock. Sarah Harris, my interviewer, was a nice woman.

[Interview]

S: Hi Zoe! How are you?

Z: Good thanks, you?

S: Great. So, hows your day been so far?

Z: Very busy. It's my cousins birthday so I was up
early making him his breakfast (laughs) then I had a
lesson and now I've just come from a photo shoot.


S: Sure does sound busy! So, how are you adjusting to
your new life?


Z: It's hard, I have to admit. I've never been one for being
girly and changing my outfits two to three times a day or even
putting on make-up. I can't even wear heels! (laughs) But yeah,
it's cool, it's definitely a change!


S: Cool. So how's your album going? Have you decided
on a name for it and when can we expect it to be released?


Z: Um, yeah, I decided to call it 'Made In New Zealand'.
I just figured it suited the album and I'm pretty sure it's
being released January first, so not long now!


S: Wow! That's pretty early! How hard
have you been working on it?


Z: Ever since I arrived in America I've been
absolutely dedicated to the album, each day I'm
singing the songs, I even wrote one!


S: Now, I heard your cousins, Tommy and Lisa
helped you sing one of them, how did it go?


Z: It went brilliant! My cousins are the best singers
ever. I'm actually going to see my little cousin Lisa
perform in a few weeks.


S: Sounds great! Okay, so will you put the rumours
to rest? Are you and Nick Jonas dating?


Z: Everyone seems to love that question!

S: Are you trying to avoid it Zoe?

Z: Who, me? (giggles). Me and Nick are
close but I'm not confirming anything. He just
helps me out a lot, you know?


S: Nice answer! Okay, now come on, spill.
What's your most embarrassing moment?


Z: Oh my gosh, there's so many. I'd have to say
the worst is when I first met the Jonases.


S: What happened?

Z: I went absolutely mental (laughs). I saw them and
then ran for it, screaming and crying until I fell over.


S: Seriously?

Z: Yes, I know, super embarrassing.

S: What about, the most embarrassing thing
in your bedroom right now?


Z: In my New Zealand bedroom, I'd have to say all
the Jonas Brothers posters currently shoved under my bed.


S: Why are they under your bed?

Z: (Laughs). There was NO way those boys were seeing
all of them, they'd think I was some creepy stalker.


S: Yes, I get your point (Laughs) Well, last question
before you have to leave. What's the one thing you
can't live without?


Z: Um.. I can't pick one. There's too many but if
I did, then he'd know what it was.


[End]

I had my photo shoot with BOP and then Theo and I left to go pick up Tommy. My phone buzzed just as we pulled into West Beverley Hills High School parking lot. I pulled my phone out and checked the message.


Tell Tommy I say Happy Birthday.

Miss you heaps beautiful.
x o


It was incredible the power this boy had over me. Just one word could make me smile for hours. I got out of the car and leant against it just as I heard the bell ring. Students began pouring out of the school.

"Oh my gosh, is that her?"

"Yes! It's Zoe Cooper!"

"She looks hotter in life!"

"Geez, who does she think she is? Taking my Nick from me."

I couldn't help but snicker at some of the comments people made. A lot of them came up and asked for my autograph, guys gave me their numbers and some girls wouldn't shut up.

"Okay people, let me through!" I heard Tommy's voice.

"Tommy!" I yelled and soon enough, people had cleared the way for him.

"Do I get my gift now?" He asked, giving me a hug. We got back into the car, people still asking me for my autograph.

"Yeah, yeah." I rolled my eyes, pulling the box out of my bag.

His eyes lit up as he unwrapped it. "An Armani watch?"

"Yep. Do you like it? I can exchange it if you want." I said nervously.

"Thanks heaps Zo, I've been dying for one of these!" He said happily, kissing my cheek before putting it on.

"So, where do you want to go?" I asked him as Theo pulled out of the parking lot.

"Um, well, it's pretty nice out today, how about Venice Beach?" Tommy asked.

"Sure. Let's go have fun." I grinned at my cousin.

Because it might not last for very long...