I Control Almost Everything

"Shouldn't the guy ask the girl out?"

It’s been a full month since school started; it’s getting easier to handle now. I’m actually enjoying it. I haven’t really made any friends outside my brother’s group, but that was okay with me. Magenta and I were getting closer than we were before, and Warren and I were becoming close friends. I’m not sure if the fact that I’m his best friend’s little sister has anything to do with it, but we’ve hung out when it was just the two of us and things went pretty well. Homecoming was in two weeks, and I was planning on asking Warren out today during Hero Arts, that seems to be a class that he actually enjoys.

I didn’t want to put too much thought into my outfit, but I wanted to look nice. I decided on a pair if black skinny jeans, a purple peasant top, black ballet flats, black hoop earrings, black scarf tied around my head as a headband, and a necklace made out of (never-melting) ice in the shape of a flame. Now that I was dressed, I could go downstairs and eat something for breakfast. I wasn’t as nervous as I thought I would be, but I really didn’t have a reason to be nervous.

When we got to school and I saw Warren, I was tempted to just go up to him then and ask him, but I already had things planned out and I didn’t want to rush it or appear to be too eager. Thankfully, Zack broke the silence.

“Hey Magenta, you wanna go to the dance with me?” he asked eagerly.

“Might as well,” she faked disinterest, and then kissed him on the cheek. Will and Layla would be going together, Ethan had to babysit his little brother that night, and I’m hoping that Warren will go with me.

“Cherry, is there anyone you want to go to homecoming with?” Layla asked me, knowing that my first high school dance was big deal for my parents.

“Yeah, I was thinking of asking them later today actually,” I said thoughtfully, trying not too stare at Warren.

“Shouldn’t the guy ask the girl out?” Warren pointed out gruffly, looking up from his book.

“Yeah, Cherry, you shouldn’t have to ask the guy out,” Will said, agreeing with Warren.

“Relax bro,” I said, addressing both Will and Warren,” I won’t know unless I ask the guy, it’s no big deal.” The guy I want to ask would never ask me because he doesn’t see me that way; I’ll still try though.

School started and I headed off to Mad Science. Medulla was lecturing us on tactics that we could use even if our opponents had a power that was stronger than ours, or happened to be our weakness; I listened and took notes earnestly. After an hour, the bell rang, and I walked across campus to my Hero Arts class.

Warren was already there and I sat down next to him in our usual spot near the back window. Our teacher, who I’m convinced is a hippie, decided that today we would be designing what we would want our costumes to look like; I was excited. Warren however, was not a fan of spandex and groaned. I assured him that he wouldn’t have to use spandex, he could go in all leather if he wanted to, which got me a sarcastic smile.

“You doing anything for homecoming?” I asked casually, trying not to hint to anything.

“Probably not, I don’t really have a reason to go this year. Last year I only went to help Layla tick off your brother,” he grinned. “Why?” he was getting suspicious.

“I was just wondering if you would want to go with me. I’d rather go with a friend, and everyone already has a date,” I admitted sheepishly.

“So I’m the last resort?” he asked.

“N-no. I was planning on asking you anyway,” I said nervously. “My first high school dance is a big deal for my parents, and I’d rather not go, but they’ll want me to,” I paused to breathe,” and I’d just rather go with someone I’m comfortable with,” I finished shyly. I looked up at him, trying to read his face for a reaction; his face was as usual- placid.

After a few long moments Warren sighed,” You’re lucky you’re Will’s sister.”

That wasn’t what I wanted to hear. Sure, I was glad that he agreed, but I didn’t want him to feel that he was obligated. I didn’t want him to go with me because I was Will’s little sister, I wanted him to go with me as a friend. I shook my head,” Never mind, forget I said anything.”

“Look,” he groaned,” do you want me to go with you or not?”

“I said forget it, I never asked you, okay,” I snapped, turning away from him.

“Whatever,” he growled in reply. We spent the remainder of the class in an uneasy silence which everyone in the room could probably feel. I had gotten a reputation for being somewhat of a cross between Warren and Magenta; you would never think that the daughter of Commander and Jetstream would turn out that way, but I did; and we all know Warren’s reputation, no one wanted to strain anything.

I was very pleased when the bell rang, allowing me to get away from Warren and head over to Hero History, where we were currently going over the Salem Witch Trials. Several supers were convicted due to their gifts. The topic fascinated yet angered me all at the same time. I hated the fact that people were so judgmental. I took notes on the different torture methods that were used, along with other pieces of information that would most likely be on a test. I was engrossed with the lecture, and found myself to be somewhat disappointed when the lunch bell rang. I packed up my things and soundlessly walked out of the door.

When I got to out usual table, Warren was the only one there, just my luck. I avoided eye contact and pulled out the bag I had brought from home that had a container of sushi and a bottle of grape juice in it.

“Look, about homecoming…” Warren started.

I cut him off, “No, forget I said anything. I don’t want you to feel like you have to just because I’m your best friend’s little sister.” I explained with a sigh.

“Oh-kay then,” he said almost inaudibly. Within the next few minutes, the rest of the group arrived at the table one by one.

As soon as everyone was seated, Layla pounced,” So Cherry, did you ask the guy out?”

I noticed as Warren raised his head, clearly interested. “Yeah,” I informed her,” but it didn’t go as well as I had hoped.”

Warren’s eyes widened considerably and he tried to subdue a cough, but failed.

Zack clapped Warren on the back, “Are you okay man?” he asked worriedly.

“I’m, I’m fine,” he choked out. Well, I guess Warren realized who I was going to ask to homecoming; this was humiliating. “So, who was this guy anyway?”

We all turned out heads to stare at him, amazed.

“What? I’m in the group too, I’m allowed to ask. You don’t want your sister going with a jerk, do you Stronghold?” Warren hastily defended himself.

We continued to stare at him some more. “It doesn’t matter anymore,” I huffed.

“Did this guy turn you down Cherry?” Will demanded.

“Yes, as a matter of fact, he did,” I caught the look in my brother’s eyes, “no; you’re not going to go all big brother on him. I’m a big girl now, I can handle myself.”

After that little spat, I think lunch went really smoothly; apart from the looks Warren was giving me that is. Layla was talking to an uninterested Magenta about what her dress looked like. After realizing that Magenta didn’t care, she tried to guess about my dress.

“I don’t know Layla; I don’t have one yet…” I grumbled.

“What!” she exclaimed. “This is your first high school dance and you don’t even have a dress yet? We’re going shopping after school,” Magenta snickered, “you too,” Layla added.

“Do I have to? I still have two weeks, and I might not even go.”

“Just because the jerk turned you down doesn’t mean that you don’t have to go. You can still go there and make him jealous.”

“I was only going to go because of how my parents feel about it. I’d really rather not go,” I told her. She gaped at me.

“But you have to!” she cried.

“Yeah, Cherry, you really should go,” Will added.

I groaned, this was going to be a hard battle to win. Me against my brother and his very peppy girlfriend; not that I don’t like Layla; Magenta’s just more my type. If I didn’t go, my parents would be so disappointed, if I did go, Layla would be spending the entire time trying to figure out ways to make “him” jealous, my only way out was to a) go with a date, b) kill somebody. A. sounds a lot safer. But who the heck was I going to go with?

Warren rolled his eyes, “I’ll go with her,” he said halfheartedly. I knew as soon as he said it that he was doing it so save me the trouble of having to deal with the wrath of my mom.

I gave him a sad smile,” Thanks.”

Layla grinned from ear to ear, “Now that guy will really be jealous, seeing that he turned you down, only for you to be asked by Warren Peace!”

“While you’re plotting what I’m going to do for the dance, I think I’ll just go outside so I don’t have to get in your way,” I smiled.

“I’ll join you,” Magenta and Warren said at the same time. I laughed as I went out of the cafeteria, Warren and Magenta close behind me.

When we got outside, Magenta asked the question that was burning on my mind, “Why’d you agree to take Cherry to the dance?” she asked Warren.

“Will would’ve asked me anyway, and he would’ve made it into a long drawn out speech,” he grumbled with a shrug.

“You’ve really changed,” Magenta pointed out happily.

“That’s not a good thing,” he answered.

“I hope you like cameras Warren,” I sang.

“What?”

“My parent’s “Little Girl” is going to her first high school dance, they’ll want pictures,” I grinned evilly, gaining the glare from Warren that I had been expecting. I shrugged at him, “You’re the one who offered.”

“Only because I felt bad about turning you down,” he said harshly. Oh that makes me feel great, wait, Magenta’s still here…crap.

“Whoa wait up, Warren is the guy you asked to the dance?” Magenta said in disbelief.

I nodded sheepishly, Warren quirked an eyebrow, “So how is that going to “Make the jerk jealous?”

“Uhh, talk to Layla?” she offered.

“Ain’t no way!” I reprimanded. “As soon as she finds out that I asked Warren, regardless of the circumstances, she’ll go on forever about how perfect we are for each other, even if we’re not.” Before anyone could say another word, the bell rang, setting me free.

Before I could go off to literature, Warren grabbed my upper arm,”My break at the Paper Lantern starts at six, be there,” he growled into my ear before he let me go.

I nodded and was on my way. I met up with Layla to tell her that I couldn’t go dress shopping, and she agreed to go tomorrow. The day went by as usual, but I was a little tense on the bus ride home. Whenever someone asked, I’d tell them to drop it, not that they ever listened though. In fact, it just made them ask more questions.

As usual, when I got home I did my homework so I wouldn’t have to worry about it; it also helped me take my mind off of meeting Warren tonight. By the time I was finished, it was almost five ‘o’ clock. I grabbed my sketch book and tried drawing Warren from my memory as best as I could. I continuously needed to erase something- not the right bone structure, nose is too high, the eyes aren’t right, wrong hair pattern, the eyes don’t convey any Warren-vibes, the list was endless. Time however, wasn’t, it was five-fifty when I looked at the clock.

I jumped off of my bed and slipped on ballet slipper as I bounded down the stairs. “Dad,” I panted, “I forgot to tell you that I’d promised Warren that I would meet him during his break, I won’t be home to late,” I called as I closed the door. I wasn’t late at the Paper Lantern, but I didn’t really have any time to spare either.

“And just before the stroke of midnight,” said a deep, wry voice with a hint of sarcasm.

“At least I’m here…” I grumbled miserably. I followed Warren to the table farthest away for all of the other tables; apparently he wanted this to be a private conversation. “Alright, spill,” I commanded after we sat down.

He glared at me, “We’re not allowed to just talk anymore?” he asked innocently.

“By the way you told me to come here, you didn’t want to “just talk” Warren, so out with it.”

“What was going on today?” he growled out.

“I asked you to a dance…” I said slowly, it was pretty obvious. “It’s not a bad thing.”

“What I don’t get is why,” he said softly.

“You give out relationship advice, but you’re clueless when it comes to your own love life,” I whispered to myself.

“There was Annabelle,” he stated in his defense. She had been Warren’s on and off girlfriend after the homecoming events, but she later found someone who was more compatible with her.

“That’s my point. She wasn’t really your type.”

“And you think you are my type?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. He gave me a look as if he was trying to peer into my soul; it sent chills up and down my spine.

“Well…I…uuhh,” by now I was certain that I was blushing just as red as my hair. I turned down to face the table, my hair hiding my face.

“Hey,” he whispered, parting my hair so he could see my face, “I wasn’t trying to make fun of you,” he lifted my chin so he could look me in the eye, “you know that I’m not like that Tristen.”

Yeah, he just called me Tristen; I finally broke down and decided that he was the only non-teacher (besides my parents and family) that could call me Tristen. “It’s just, you’re my brother’s best friend, and it seems so kiddie to have a crush on you,” I mumbled, averting my eyes from his face.

“I’m sorry, could you repeat that for me?” he stated bluntly but softly.

“It was nothing.”

“Tristen Charity Stronghold,” he said in a voice that a father would normally use when scolding a small child.

“What? It was nothing alright, forget it,” I huffed.

“Will you just tell me? I thought we were closer than this.”

“Alright fine, you win,” I cracked. “It just seems so cliché and kiddie to have a crush on my brother’s best friend.”

“You, you like me?”

“Uh huh,” I murmured as softly as I could manage. Now that I had said it out in the open, I felt a lack of confidence wash over me; scared and exposed. I trusted that Warren would never intentionally hurt me, but how would he react to this?

“Well, that was unexpected,” he smiled.

I raised an eyebrow at him, “I just told you that I have a crush on you, and that’s all you have to say?”

“To be honest with you Tristen, I don’t really know how I’m supposed to respond to that. It’s a new thing for me, and I’m not sure how I feel about you.”

“Then just forget that I said anything,” I sighed.

“I’m not like that and you know it. I can’t forget the fact that you had the courage admit something like that to my face,” he put a hand on my shoulder,” just give me a little bit of time to think about this alright?”

I nodded.

Warren glanced at his watch,” Well, my break’s almost over, see you at school Tristen.”

“Bye! Oh, can you do me a favor tomorrow?”

“Like what?”

“Can you wear your hair in pigtails for me,” I saw his glare. “Pretty please?” puppy dog face.

“Tristen.”

“Yeah?”

“Go home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here's chapter 2. I know that I just stared the story, and I will be improving, so keep with me. I go back to school on Monday and have first semester exams the following week, so I may not update for a lil bit. I'm a freshman, so I want to really study for exams, plus I'm an art major at a magnet school, so that keeps me pretty busy. but when i get a chance I'll write, and try to post at least every Friday if I can, sorry in advance if I miss a week.

And thank you very much to my one reviewer, (i_love_joe_jonas) this chapter was posted just for you! I hope that you enjoyed it.
Much love
~Zaki