Single Moments

Three of Six

"You can't go, Joe. Please, get a new job. I hate what this job does to you."

"It doesn't 'do anything' to me..." Joe sighed.

"Joe. I've seen you crying. I hate seeing you so upset." He sat up in bed. "Please, baby, get a new job. I hate seeing you so sick and constantly upset."

"I'm not upset."

"Joe," Matt rested his hand on Joe's. "I've heard you crying. I've seen what it does. Why don't you go back to singing?" he suggested meekly.

"No one likes my singing anymore, Matt. I promise you, I'll be fine." he sighed deeply. "If I play my cards right, I can make us a few thousand dollars tonight. This guy's really rich."

"I don't want you putting yourself through this."

"I told you. I have to." He leaned over and hugged Matt apologetically. "I'm doing it because I need to. For you. And I'm willing to, for you," he assured him - and he was. Matt was all he had. He'd do anything for him and the hospital bills had to be paid somehow.

"I love you so much," Matt whispered, his face inches away from Joe's. He hated the thought of Joe doing this to himself, but he could never convince him not to. Joe was too stubborn, and maybe he cared too much, but he was strong and willing.

"You're worth all of it," Joe assured him with a kiss. He was determined to help Matt however he could, no matter what it meant. "I'll be alright. God'll be with me, and he's with you, too."

Matt smiled. "Thanks, Joe..."

"It's no problem. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Bye," he whispered feebly.

"I love you. Goodnight," Joe kissed his head again and walked backwards to the door, waving with his fingers. He finally left the room, shutting the door and sighing, leaning against the wall. He just kept reminding himself it was only for Matt. He had no attachment to the people he worked with - it was strictly for money. On a good night, he could make several thousand dollars. He knew he was going to get a ton of money tonight, he just hoped it'd all go well.

----------------

It didn't exactly go too well. The moment they entered the man's bedroom, Joe was slammed against a wall and wet lips were forced onto his. He knew by now to kiss back without hesitation, and he did so, but he felt like they'd already gotten off on the wrong foot.

After that, he was shoved down onto his knees roughly, to give oral. Hands raked through his hair and pulled him closer, making him choke as the young man's cock was forced deeper into his mouth, but he still complied. For Matt, he thought. For Matt, he thought as the man finally shoved him backwards and released all over his face. Then he was shoved to the floor, ordered to strip, and then thrown onto the bed. He avoided looking at the face, mostly because tears were in his eyes. He was rarely handled this roughly - he guessed the amount he was getting paid made up for it.

By the end of the night, Joe had bruises from being punched and kicked around and bumps from his head banging into the bedpost. He finally left with a black eye, a bruise on his hip and arm, and a check for ten thousand dollars. The clients that paid more usually hurt more. He just didn't want Matt to see him hurt.

He was dropped off in front of his house - it was too late to go back to the hospital. He fell on all fours on the grass, and as the car drove away he vomited onto the lawn.

----------------

Matt was taking a nap when Joe got there the next day. He sighed, slowly opening the door and rubbing his bruised eye. He knew Matt would never let him go out again. And he'd just decided that for him, he wouldn't. They had enough money now, after last night. He'd stay with him for the time he had left - and there wasn't much time.

"Matt, wake up," he whispered, waking Matt with a light kiss. His eyes opened slowly and he looked up at Joe's smiling face. A look of worry immediately took over his features.

"What happened to you?"

Joe sighed. "Rough night. How are you feeling?"

"I'm ....alright, but Joe. You got hurt?" he asked worriedly, sitting up in the bed as he gawked at Joe.

"Yeah..." Joe took a seat on the stool by the bed. "But it's the last time. I'm not going to do it anymore."

"I'm really sorry, Joe," Matt said softly, sliding off the bed to hug him. "I love you so much. I can't say how grateful I am for you."

"You're welcome. But you don't need to worry about me any more." Joe held him close. "From now on, I'm gonna stay with you." he pulled back and smiled warmly at him.

"Thanks, Joe," Matt whispered, lost for words. "You're so amazing."

Joe was the only person Matt really had right now, and he was protective of him. Seeing Joe hurt just broke his heart, he wished so strongly that Joe never have to put himself through what he did just to help him. At least now he'd stop. His family didn't even know he was sick - he figured they wouldn't care. Soon after he turned eighteen, he took the first chance he got to leave home without a backward glance. He hadn't had contact with them since.

Joe didn't even know where his family was. His older brother had taken off and disappeared when he was a young teenager, and his younger brother had a solo music careeer. His parents were in Europe. All Joe had was Matt. He couldn't believe Matt was dying, but worried more about his well-being than himself.

"You're very welcome," Joe said, kissing his head. "Do you wanna go get some lunch?"

Matt grinned. "I'd love that."

----------------

The doctors finally confirmed what Joe had known and dreaded all along. Matt wasn't going to live. And he only had a few weeks left.