Sequel: Mr. Dreamer

Ms. Matchmaker

Offend

I have come to understand the way it is. It's not a secret anymore 'cause we've been through that before. From tonight I know that you're the only one. I've been confused and in the dark. Now I understand—

I woke up with this song playing in the back of my mind. A serene condition of mind flooded me, consoling my senses. In a way, I felt vulnerable. My shield was down. For whatever reason, I chose not to seek out.

I swung my feet off the frame of my bed. The lace of the bed skirt swayed when I disrupted its motionlessness. My hair fell to the sides, shamble and black. I unconstrained the long held breath in my lungs. Everything tensed up then became tranquil. I stretched my long relaxed muscles.

The bed shifted. I turned my head only to see a very exhausted looking Nick lying down beside my side of the bed. I smiled to myself. I kissed him delicately then stood up.

I reached for my sweater and walked around the house. The sun flowed through the thin white curtains, radiating warmth through the breeze that scattered within the room. I looked out the windows, pulling my hoodie closer to me.

Two girls walked passed the yard, both with unnatural red hair. One looked at me with a confused expression that turned blank. The other glared. Her noise piercing was turned up as she continued to walk down the sidewalk with her friend.

Did I do something?

A pair of hands wrapped around my waist. I smiled. I could feel Nick’s lips on my skin.

“I’ll show you around today.” He whispered.

I chuckled, “Sounds good to me.”

Nick uncoiled his arms and yawned. “How did you sleep?”

“Clearly better than you did.” I laughed.

He scratched the back of his neck. “I was just unpacking.”

I sighed.

“What’s wrong?” Nick tucked my hair behind my ears, keeping his hands there after.

I shrugged, “I’m just home-sick.”

It was true. I might’ve only been away from Arizona a little over twenty-four hours but I already missed waking up to the smell of whatever Katrina was cooking or the sound of Katie practicing her violin early in the morning. The atmosphere was just different—not bad, but different. I guess I just need to adjust.

Nick stroked my cheek with his thumb, “We’ll fly back to Arizona after I settle some things. I’ll introduce you to some of my friends. You’ll get along. It’ll get your mind off home.” He kissed my forehead. “I’m going to change.” He headed towards his room.

I nodded to myself. “Any chance of me getting some good coffee around here?”

“Yea, Marylou’s down the street.”

I nodded again, and then went to take my shower. I took a deep breath and braced myself for was Massachusetts had to throw at me.

Nick dropped me off at Marylou’s. He left to meet up with his parents. I ordered my coffee, and then sat down at the table nearest to the window.

As the burning taste of the coffee went down my throat, my heartbeat seemed to slow down. I put in my MP3 player and closed my eyes.

Say you're sorry. That face of an angel comes out just when you need it to as I paced back and forth all this time 'cause I honestly believed in you. Holdin' on, the days drag on. Stupid girl, I should've known, I should've known.

I just don’t know. I don’t feel like I belong here. As much as I keep telling myself that no one can hurt me here, I just don’t—I can’t think. It feels like I’m breaking under some pressure.

I opened my eyes again. Another pair met mine. It was the girl who glared at me at the Santinos’. She abruptly stood up and walked out of the coffee shop.

What did I do to upset her? Do I offend in any way?