Sequel: Mr. Dreamer

Ms. Matchmaker

Cool

Nick kissed my hand comfortingly, stroking it as he did. Our bodies seemed to be matching puzzle pieces, perfect in match. My heartbeat was in sync with his. I felt whole—perfect. It was almost as if nothing could go wrong.

But then I would close my eyes and I could see Rianna glaring at me. A kind of switch turned on whenever my eyes shut—the fear, the doubt, the dark just swarms over me.

Nick sighed, “I was actually kind of scared earlier.”

“Why?’ I repositioned myself against his bare chest.

He shrugged, “I guess I built up my parents’ critiquing in my mind—I over-estimated what was going to happen.”

I sighed. I entwined his body and mine together under the sheets.

“But I didn’t doubt for one second that they wouldn’t love you like I do.”

I smiled to myself. The little things he does—like that absent-mindedly made me want him—more than I do already.

Nick kissed my forehead, “I’ll take you out tomorrow—anything you want to do.”

“Does ‘anything’ include being here with you for just a little while longer?”

He smiled, “I’m yours already, so why not?” He chuckled.

I looked up at him and kissed his lips softly.

In that couple of seconds that our eyes connected, we were having a conversation all to ourselves. I loved it. I loved him.

If you would have told me that I would be in this position about a couple of months ago, I would have just said that you were insane. But now that this is actually happening—I can’t even believe that I lived this long without any love in my life.

Nick’s phone started to ring. We both sat up—much to my dismay.

He smiled, “Hey, Ri! What’s up?”

Oh, kill me now.

He paused, “Well, I’m kind of taking Amory out tomorrow.”

You have got to be killing me. I think fate hates me.

“Uh, I guess. Let me ask her. Hold on a second.” Nick put the phone to his shoulder and looked at me with an unsure face. “Rianna wanted to know if we wanted to hang out tomorrow. You know so you too can get close or something.”

I frowned on the inside. What happened to “I’ll take you out tomorrow—anything you want to do”? Apparently it’s not in affect anymore.

I smiled anyway—it’s his friend. I should be happy, right?

“Sure! Why not?” I said as cheery as I could.

He smiled and put the phone to his ear again, “Yea, she said that’s cool—See you tomorrow, Ri.”

I sighed to myself. The thought of any alone time with that woman frightened me. But I can’t let her get to me. This is for Nick. It wouldn’t be fair if I ruined this trip home for him.

Nick scratched his head, “Amory—“

I shook my head. “It’s cool.” I smiled. “I, uh, I’m going to go for a walk, maybe go to Marylou’s if it’s still open.” I stood up and grabbed my clothes.

He followed after me, the sheets wrapped around his waist. He coiled him arms around me. “You’re mad.”

I shook my head, my back facing him. “I’m fine.”

“Oh, come on.” He took my hand which lead to his other hand going to the crook of my back. He pulled me close. “It’s only a day. After that, we’ll be alone.” He said to me, his voice calm.

I avoided his eyes, “I know.”

He dropped his arms to his sides, “You are mad.”

I smiled in the slightest bit, “I can’t be mad at you.” I pecked him on the lips and pulled on my shirt.

“You don’t want me to drop you off?” He ran his fingers through my straight hair.

I shook my head, “It’s cool. I need some fresh air and exercise anyway.” I smiled. “I’ll see you in a bit.”

Ok, maybe I am mad.