Sequel: Mr. Dreamer

Ms. Matchmaker

Now

What a hoebag!” Katrina yelled into the phone.

This was her response to what had happened in the past couple of days.

She’s getting in between you and Nick—Amory, you have to do something. It’s like Morgan Long’s personality is following you after high school!

Morgan Long was this girl in our high school that seemed to steal the attention of every guy in our school—decent or not. She’d pull them all in, and, in turn, she got pregnant at the age of seventeen. Talk about karma.

“Clearly!” I yelled back.

My lungs tensed up then relaxed. This particular situation seemed to be controlling me more than it should.

So, what are you going to say to Nick?

What was I going to say to Nick? I mean, really—how am I supposed to clearly explain what is going on in my head? How in the world is that even possible at the moment?

I let out a nervous breath, “Katrina, I don’t know what I’m doing here.” I scratched my head. “I—I just—I don’t know anymore. It’s like I can’t even remember my original reason for wanting to come in the first place.”

You are there because you want to be with the man that you love an no way in this world are you going to let this—this, I forgot her name already. As if I would remember it in the first place—But no way are you going to let her get to you. I need not say anything else.

She’s right. I am here and it wasn’t for nothing. There is a reason why Nick and I are still together—well, together at all and nothing will ever change that. Right?

Am? You there?

“Yea,” I said quietly.

Hey, I have to call you back later.

I could hear the smile in her voice.

John invited me to go on tour with them again. I am so stoked!

This wasn’t a shock. “That’s awesome!” I said none the less.

I know! And I have to pack!

“Go on; have fun. I’ll call you when and if I need you.” I smiled to myself.

Alright. Oh, and John promised a show in Massachusetts, so I will see you there, girl!

“Can’t wait!”

Me neither! I’m going to pack—au revoir, mon amie!

I smiled once more, “Au revoir.” The second I hung up my phone, y smile faded.

In a way, it felt as if I was being continuously tugged back to Arizona. Against my will, too. But I wanted to stay here. I wanted to stay with Nick. And yet it was like fate had a different plan for me—One that I didn’t favor at all.

In other words, this wasn’t going the way I’d originally planned.

“What happened to going to Marylou’s?”

I was so drowned out in my thoughts that I didn’t even realize Nick standing in front of me. I kept my stare to the floor with my hands clasped tightly together as the breeze picked up.

I never did go to Marylou’s for the record. In its place, I just sat on a frigid park bench with nothing but a thin sweater. It wasn’t nearly as comfortable as lying by Nick’s side, but it came in a close second on my comfort scale.

I shook my head to myself, “I just needed to be alone for a bit.”

Nick slipped off his jacket.

I could feel its warmth as he draped it around my shoulders.

He looked at me. His lips pressed to mine softly.

I tried my hardest not to show how it affected me.

He suddenly sighed, “I feel like I’ve let you down by bringing you here.”

I laughed once quietly, “You didn’t let me down.” I bit my lip. “I’m just homesick. That’s all it is.”

“Justin called earlier.” He sat next to me. “He wanted to talk to you. He said the line was busy when he tried your cell.”

I pouted, “I miss J-Bo.”

Nick chuckled, “Apparently he misses you, too. I could hear John in the room.”

“I miss both of them.” I said simply.

Nick tucked my hair back, kissed my cheek and sighed. “Come on.” He stood up. His hand was extended out to me. “Let’s go home.”

Home—That’s Arizona. My home is on the other side of the country. This isn’t home. I don’t think it ever was or ever will be.

I took his hand. My eyes stared at the ground wearily.

I’ll try to manage…for now.