Love Is a Battlefield

Part 4

The six of them sat on the beach, away from everyone, drinking beers and hanging out. Kate was sprawled out on the blanket, trying to get some color to her pale white skin. Suddenly she was lifted up in the air and felt a breeze as the person ran away from the group and towards the water. She realized that the only one missing from the group was Zacky, meaning her was the culprit.

"Zacky! Put me down right now!"

"Now, Kate, you know that isn't the magic word." Zacky said, still running towards the water.

"Please?"

"Nope, sorry." He said as he lifted her off his shoulder and tossed her into the cold ocean water.

Kate tried to break back out of the water, but a large forceful wave thrashed against her, knocking her back to the bottom of the water, filling her lungs with the briny liquid.

"Kate!" Zacky yelled when he didn't see her come back. "Kate!" He yelled running into the water, searching for her. The guys, hearing Zacky's distress, ran to the water.

"Zacky! What the fuck is going on?" Matt asked, on edge.

"Kate! Oh my God! Where did you go!" Zacky screamed. The guys realized the problem, and began frantically searching for the lost girl.

Jimmy dove under the water, opening his eyes, dispite the burning sensation. He saw a streak of pink and blond, Kate's hair. He swam toward it and found a passed out Kate, drifting in the water. Jimmy burst through the surface of water, catching his breath as he made his way to the sand. The guys noticed him and followed him onto the beach. Jimmy placed her motionless body on the ground, and tried to remember what his teacher tried to tell him about CPR in health class, luckily that was one of the few lectures Jimmy stayed awake in. Zacky and Johnny ran to try and find help, a life guard or something. Matt ran up the beach to their towels and grabbed a cell phone, dialing 911 for and ambulance. Brian stood over Jimmy, racking his brain for the same info as Jimmy. Together, the two of them figured it out.

Jimmy tilted Kate's head back as Brian gave him the directions on what to do. Jimmy pushed on her chest five times and then pinched her nose, breathing air into her mouth. He continued this off and on frantically. Matt came back with news that an ambulance was on the way a few minutes before Zacky and JImmy returned with a life guard. Jimmy kept up with what he was doing. Suddenly, Kate began to cough, water squirting out of her mouth and nose. She took in a deep breath and them slowly began to breath normally. Her eyes opened slightly, staring at Jimmy. A small smile graced her lips before they close and she fell asleep.

The life guard picked Kate up and placed her body on the back of his quad. Jimmy sat next to her as they drove off, leaving the others alone without a word. He stared at her peaceful face and sighed, happy to know that she would probably be OK. The quad reached a parking lot where an ambulance sat, EMT's, paramedics, and a stretcher waiting. The loaded Kate on the stretcher and Jimmy jumped in the back with them as they made their journey to the hospital.

Entering the hospital was like an acid trip to Jimmy, people were running around in a flash everywhere. They talked fast and moved at the speed of light. Kate was wheeled off into a back room and Jimmy was told he had to wait there, and was asked some questions. They contacted Kate's dad and then all Jimmy could do was wait.

The doors to the hospital opened, and the guys came in. Zacky was the last to enter. As soon as Jimmy saw him, rage coursed through his veins. Jimmy stood up and tackled Zacky to the ground with an animistic growl, punching him until Matt and Brian pried him away. A nurse came and took Zacky to the back while the others tried to calm Jimmy down.

An hour passed, and Kate's dad had already joined the group, no news about Kate was heard. Abruptly a doctor came out and called for her family. The guys, minus Zacky, and her dad stood, following him to the back.