Love Is a Battlefield

Part 8

Kate walked with Jimmy through the school hand-in-hand with the guys on both sides of the couple. Whispers spread through the halls like wildfire. The boys took no notice of it, but Kate heard it all.

"What a slut!"

"There is only one reason that a girl would hang out with five guys alone, all the time."

"Did you hear about them in the park?"

"God, that is disgusting! Look at them."

Kate did all she could to try and ignore them, but they were constantly whispering. Saying things so loudly to her, even though no one else could hear them. Tears threatened to come, but they never did. Kate kept walking at least for another day through her own personal hell.

The next few weeks went like this. People talking about her and the guys, saying awful, disgusting things about her. Every word spoken was like another stab to her already fragile heart. The only thing keeping her alive was Jimmy. The love he held in his eyes for her was life a defibrillator for her heart. His love, the way he'd kiss her, hold her, touch her, was not only what kept her going, it was also going to be her downfall. The sad truth is, that the one thing that kept her moving was the same thing that everyone talked about, bashing it whenever they could.

Kate had plans on going to the spring dance with Jimmy and the guys, who had found dates but never introduced them to her. Her and Zacky were going to go shopping for the dance. That was the funny thing. Zacky was like a girl friend to Kate, especially after the whole near death experience. She told him everything, well almost everything. The one thing she didn't tell him, the one thing that bothered her the most, would eventually one day bring her down.

Zacky and Kate walked around the dress shop, earning stares and glares from women trying on dresses and the ladies helping them that worked at the store. Zacky was they only man in the entire building, and he was far from being accepted.

"I don't think men are allowed in here." Zacky whispered to Kate with a small laugh.

"I get that feeling to. Pretend to be gay or something."

"What? No way! I am not gonna pretend to be gay! They just need to get over it! I'm already in the store!" He yelled, earning a glare from the lady at the counter while everyone else turned away.

"That's a little, oh! Zacky! Look at that one!" She yelled running over to a pretty green dress with a rhinestoned halter.

"Kate, I think that color will clash with your hair too much." He said with a chuckle. Kate looked from the dress to him and then to me in a mirror with the dress.

"Yeah, your right." She said putting it back. "How about this one?" Kate asked holding up another dress. It was a long, evening gown with a zebra print splattered in mulitiple bright colors.

"Well, it is very you. And sexy for Jimmy. How about you try it on? Then I'll tell you how I feel." Kate nodded and asked a lady for a room. She slipped the dress on and stepped out looking for a mirror, since there was none in the fitting room. Kate looked at Zacky who smiled, before looking at myself in the mirror. She gasped. The dress fit snuggly and really did look amazing. "That," Zacky said pointing, "is the dress you need to get."

"Yeah, how much is it though?"

Zacky picked up the tag and gulped. "Um, almost three hundred dollars."

"Oh, it's worth it. Plus this is the first dance that I am every going to have actually gone to." Kate said with a laugh. "And my mom always wanted me to go and offered to but dresses like this. So, I'll at least do her proud once, even if she can't tell me she's proud." She said before walking into the room and changing out of the dress. Kate went to the counter and purchased it along with a pair of black patent leather pumps. She left with Zacky, but that was when she heard them again. Those whispers, her own little demons
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter, but slightly pivitol for Kate and what will happen to her.

Comment? Please?