Status: Short Hiatus....updates next week.

That Fragile Capricorn

Azriel

Brendon sat in the waiting room, wedged between Spencer and Jon, practically in fetal position. He held his knees to his chest as he sucked his right thumb, his eyes were wide and red, his cheek's tear stained. It'd been almost three hours since he had found out about Ryan's accident, two-and-a-half since Ryan went into surgery. Brendon felt like pacing, but his legs wouldn't hold him.

What could be taking so long? he had better be okay. God, what if he's not okay? No! No, don't think like that...be positive! He's fine...it's just...god, He had better be okay!
Brendon frantically thought. His thoughts kept whip-lashing him around and upsetting the acidic bile that took up it's residence in his stomach.

The words the doctor had spoken earlier weren't helping him much either, they were nagging him, harassing him. An almost Make-The-Voices-Stop! moment. Give the boy a screwdriver, he'd end up putting it in his ear.

"Well, the good news is the fact the he is still alive. But, Mr. Ross is going to have to go under the knife. What's clear is that he has two broken ribs, one of which has penetrated his right lung. The shattering of the windshield has also left him pretty cut up about his head, and there is also significant trauma in the area. There's a possibility that there's a piece of glass wedged into his lower abdomen, which is a threat for many obvious reasons. We're not too sure though, he far to bloody for us to asses anything past what we have....That's what happens when your hit by a Semi-truck."

The anticipation was driving Brendon to hysterics. Was Ryan okay? Was he in pain? How bad was he really hurt? Did he want Brendon with him, his hand to hold? did something go wrong? All the possibilities seemed to be on the wrong side.
Brendon turned his head to Spencer as a shaky and tearful sigh filled his right ear.
Spencer didn't look much better, his eyes were as red as Brendon's, if not worse, but at least he wasn't in fetal position. The moment their eyes met the room filled with an uneasy tension. Brendon knew Spencer was on the phone with Ryan at the time of the crash, but he didn't blame him, Ryan was hit, he didn't go out of control or anything. But Spencer saw it to be the exact opposite, taking on all the blame. Spencer tried to fake a smile, but the doctor appear before he could get his lips to move.

All three jumped out of their seats.

"Jon Walker, Brendon Urie, and Spencer Smith?" The doctor read their names off of his clip-board.

"Yes?" All three asked.

"Well, your friend there, is a very lucky man to be alive today. He made it, but just barely.
There was a whole lot of blood loss, and, in fact, as we speak, he's going under another transplant. He will be put into the ICU in a matter of minutes. However, as you boys probably know, only family can see him until he is more stable." The doctor smiled widely.

"Wait, no." Brendon's own smile was shattered at the doctor's last sentence. "You have to let me in to see him." His voice was shaky.

"I'm sorry Mr.Urie, but unless your family and present proof of that, we won't be able to allow you to see him once he is switched." The smile on the doctor's lips also vanished.

"No. No, no, no, no. you don't understand, I have to see him now!" Tears made their way down Brendon's cheeks as he grabbed the doctor by the shoulders and shook him with every word.

"Sir, don't make me call security."

There was a slight moment's pause before three new faces appeared behind the doctor and one behind the whole group. Each wearing black skinny jeans with matching button down dress shirts, hats, and sun glasses.

"Please?" Brendon begged, testing the doctor and the odd looking security guards.

"Brendon, come on." Jon sighed as he tried to pry Brendon from the doctor.

"No, get off of me!" Brendon sent an elbow back into Jon's chest as he spun around.

Jon stumbled back, out of breath. But, before the guards around them could act, he punched Brendon square in the nose, starting a small stream of blood to trickle down. Brendon, in turn, slammed his fist into Jon's jaw. It was then the guards and Spencer took action. Twp guards to each and Spencer to Jon.

The firsts didn't stop flying and all too soon the room was in an uproar. Other people in the waiting room ran to the door, one or two of them screaming, trying to get out of the way from the fight. At one point in time, Brendon's fist met a guards chest as he wedged himself between Jon and Brendon. Spencer tried to grab Jon's arm from behind as another punch was thrown, but ultimately failed when the fist hit Brendon upside his face and as Jon's arm drew back and hit Spencer in the jaw. It almost seemed hopeless to even try and pry them out of the fight, the air was too thick with fists and kicks. One of which hit Brendon in the stomach, sending him backwards.

One of the guards took chance upon the moment and tackled Brendon to the ground as he fell backwards from Jon's kick. They struggled for a minute until another one of the guard dropped down to help. The other two managed, also after a brief struggle and help form Spencer, to hand cuff the stunned and out of breath Jon.

"Thank you boys." The doctor said as they guards finally were able to hand cuff Brendon behind his back.

"Just doing our job, sir." The guard who held Brendon from behind said in a familiar voice as he kneed him in the lower back. "Let's get moving, boys!"

Brendon gave one last weak struggle as they exited the waiting room into the hospital. People stared at them as they made their way through the corridors and wings of the hospital. It wasn't until they entered an elevator that Brendon realized they weren't leaving. But, they weren't going up either, not yet. One of the guards hit the hold button as the doors closed before taking off his hat and dropping his sun-glasses.

"I knew it!" Spencer said as the guard revealed himself to be Andy. "The minute I saw the 'fro and sideburns, I knew it!"

"So, you think we did a good job?" Pete asked with a smirk on his face.

"I thought you guys were on your was to South Carolina." Jon's voice wasn't amused, it was annoyed.

"You really think we'd leave for Carolina when Ry was just in a car accident?" Patrick seemed shocked. "And, with Brendon's mental sate being what is was...and apparently still is....? Please, we have better morals then that."

"How did you know?" Brendon didn't look up from the ground. "He didn't even call security and you guys showed up."

"We'd been hanging around you for at least an hour. You didn't notice? We kept ourselves separate. Urie, with that state of mind, it was bound to happen. Be glad it was us and not the real guards." Pete put his glasses back on as he hit the up button to the sixth floor, the ICU. "Now, gentlemen, please resume your disguises. We will be arriving at the nurse's desk of the ICU momentarily. We will approach the desk and claim to be Mr.Ross's security. Urie, Smith, Walker, you guys'll hang out around the corner, out of sight. Once we get the room number and key, we'll come get you. Any questions?"

"Where did you learn to fight like that?" Spencer was serious.

"Good, let's roll." So was Wentz.

Jon, Spencer, and Brendon watched from behind a janitor's cart as the quad's went up to the service desk. Pete stood sideways to the nurse, his right hand holding his glasses, and smirked as he spoke. The nurse mumbled something and held out her hand. He chuckled and shook his head as he searched his pockets, the rest searched their's too. There was a chorus of shrugged shoulders and a stern look from the nurse. Jon was able to lip-read a feeble "Please?" from Pete's mouth, but the nurse didn't budge. It was then that Pete turned to look the nurse in her eyes and slightly dropped his glasses, showing who he was. The nurse gave a surprised "Oh!" and quickly handed him the plastic card key to Ryan's room.

"That was sickening." Jon muttered as Pete and the trio behind him walked back down the hall towards them.

"No." Patrick had apparently heard him. "That was genius."

"Can we just go?" There was anxiety in Brendon's voice.

It smells like....Azriel. Brendon thought as they started off down the blank white hallway. No one spoke on the suspenseful journey of the corridors. 651, 652, 653.....654. Pete stopped the group. All eyes were on him as he slowly gave a grim, "brace-your-self" smile and slid the card through it's slot. There was a slight beep, a small flashing green light, and they were in.

Brendon's heart stopped beating as he saw the pale Ryan on the gurney. His face was almost completely white, save for a pair of light pink lips and a few reddened spots where he had stitches. The heart monitor was beeping at the regular pace and by the looks of it, Ryan was breathing on his own despite a ruptured lung. There had to be a different angel's magic at work.

"Take off the cuffs." Brendon demanded in a stern and cracked voice.

No one said anything as Andy worked on Brendon's cuffs. Ryan, Ryan? Brendon called out as he made his was over to the boy. Are you okay? He ran his fingers through Ryan's hair, lightly twisting and untwisting it. Just promise me you'll wake up soon, okay?
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, sorry for the wait there....

In case your wondering... Azriel is the correct name for the Grim Reaper. And, this is partially based off of a real life event. I had an aunt on the ICU, we weren't close, so, losing her wasn't that hard.

But, the first thing I thought when I stepped onto the ICU's tile flooring was "It smells like Azriel here. Death, minus the rotting stench of maggots. Clean, sterile death."