Forced to Love

Chapter 20

Nathaniel sat in complete silence.
Leaning towards a brick wall, with a book in his hand and the soft sunbeams from the morning sun tenderly kissing his face, he was in complete bliss.

The only sounds that could be heard were the birds twittering and the muffled voices from grooms working in the stables on the other side of the very wall he was leaning against. It was a perfect day.

As always, she was not far from his line of thought. Finding himself incapable to follow the content of the book, his mind soon started to swirl around Annabell. Annabell. The very thought of her name made his knees go weak and his heartbeat speed up.

He did not know when the realisation had struck him, but he now knew that living without her was as good as impossible. The mere thought of living without her was too much to bear. He would miss everything about her. Her smell, her divine hair, her laugh.

He loved the way she shyly looked down at the floor before looking him straight in the eye when he was close to her. He was spellbound by the way goose bumps appeared on her arms if he slid his hand from her elbow and slowly traced his fingers down to her wrist. He loved every breath she drew, and every tone in her voice. He loved her to the very rhythm of her heart.

Anger rose in his chest and like a wild beast, he could feel himself snarl, just by the thought of which condition she had been in when he had saved her that horrid day, now four months ago. By God, he would never let anyone harm her again; he would sooner rip out his own heart.

The knowledge of what might have happened with Annabell, if he had not been able to save her, still kept him awake at night. Even though months had passed, he could clearly remember how the dread and anxiety had been fighting inside him when he was galloping through that horrible storm.
The ground had been slippery and wet, causing the horse to constantly stumble, threatening to send them both into an early death. But for the life of him, he would not have been able to slow down. The only thing in his mind had been Annabell.

Mason, Nathaniel and a crew of the king’s personal guards had that very afternoon been supposed to meet the spy stationed at the place they assumed Annabell was kept prisoner. The information the spy delivered was disturbing. For Nathaniel, nothing was more important than to get Annabell back, safe and sound.

The spy had managed to infiltrate Ezra of Virona’s summer palace, and could bring the news that Lady Annabell Darshia definitely was kept imprisoned there, and what was even more important: Ezra was planning to move her to a safer location during the next few days.

“Originally Ezra’s plan was to abduct Annabell, kill her, and this way make himself Lord Darshia’s heir once again. No doubt, he was then planning on killing you, my Lord Darshia, and then declare himself the Duke of Tabitha,” the spy explained for Mason and Darshia.

The two of them nodded, knowing that this way Ezra would be in a position where he would have almost unlimited power. He would be the heir to the kingdom of Virona and have the largest duchy in Avalon. “But, my Lord Darshia,” the spy continued,
“Ezra hasn’t killed her, but he keeps her locked inside a bedroom, and according to my source working in the kitchen; he... rapes her… I’m sorry, sir...” The spy looked down to the floor, refusing to meet Nathaniel’s eyes.

For Nathaniel it felt like time stopped. A fire started to burn in his chest, and his throat felt dry. He was unable to move, his limbs refusing to listen to his brain. Not that his brain was too much help, the only thoughts that rung through his brain was the images of the petite frame of Annabell forced under the massive body of that scum Ezra.

“No...” Nathaniel whispered. “Oh my God, no! Please!” His body suddenly reconnected with his brain. “We need to get there now! Right now, we don’t have a minute to lose!”

And hurry they had, but when they arrived at Ezra’s summer palace they found it abandoned, and the horrific sight that met them was the remains of a young boy hanging from the castle wall. Nathaniel knew the sight would haunt him for a long time. Who was cruel enough to do a thing like this to a kid? These gruesome sights only increased his terror for what might happen to Annabell and he set of at a breakneck speed to overtake Ezra, his guards and hopefully, Annabell.

*

As if she could hear his thoughts calling for her, he saw Annabell enter the sunny garden. She slowly stepped from the morning room and through the open French doors. Her hair was sparking in the soft sunlight.

Instead of letting her know he was there, he kept on watching her in silence as she slowly walked through the garden. She took her time, stopping from time to time to watch a bird, or smell a flower. Slowly making her way to the part of the garden where Nathaniel sat. His gaze kept firmly on her; he raised and walked towards her.

“Oh, Nathaniel! You startled me, I did not see you.” Her surprised expression made a laugh rumble through his chest.

“I am sorry dearest. How are you this morning?” he asked softly while grasping her hand, pulling her gently toward him. She put both her hands on his chest, shyly looking down for a minute before meeting his gaze.

“I am feeling much better, thank you, sir,” Annabell answered cheekily with a wide grin. The answer made him laugh softly once again.

“How wonderful to hear, Mrs. Darshia, you look exceptionally wonderful… as always.”

A soft blush rose in her cheek. “I love you Nathaniel, you know that right?”

A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. “Yes dear, you might have mentioned that a couple of times.” He pulled her closer and kissed her softly. “I love you Annabell. You know that right?”

She put her arms around his neck. “Yes dear, you might have mentioned that a couple of times.” She kissed him back with all her heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
And... that's the end!

I really want to thank you all! This is the first story I've ever written, and I couldn't have done it without all the support. Thanks for all the comments!

Amy1995 gave me the inspiration to write this last chapter, despise of my gruesome writers block. -Tanks for the message!

and imperfectiionsx3, I couldn't do without you! Thanks for all the editing!

So! What do you think of the ending? Hate it, Love it?? Leave a comment!!! Please, I really beg you now! I've written the story, and now I really want to know what you think.

Dina