Diehards and Journal Updates

Diehards and Journal Updates

November 12th, 2007

My tears already drenched the paper and I haven't even completed a full sentence yet. We got a call today. It was the hospital calling for a Mr. Evan Sumner. That’s me. My mother didn’t tell me who it was when she handed the phone to me, but she couldn’t meet my eyes either. Something was wrong. Apparently someone found Drew, my Drew, and I was to come to the hospital immediately. That’s all the information they could provide me over the phone. So naturally I was anxious, I took my parents car without even asking for permission, it's not like they could stop me anyway. 15 minutes later I was sprinting through the Emergency doors. The hospital is 36 minutes away from my house, I can't tell you how many road rules I broke. He overdosed. No not on drugs but candy. He's diabetic. Somebody found him in a gas station bathroom, half eaten bags full of candy and sugary goodness at his feet. He had a note; it was him saying his goodbyes. He was unconscious the whole time I was there. I sat by his bedside, my hand clasped in his, tears running down my face as I stared down at the pale face of my boyfriend. I remember when the doctor told me he might not make it. I pretended I didn’t hear him and kept my eyes trained on his chest. It barely moved as he breathed. The only reassurance I had was the constant beeping of the machine he was hooked up to. I stayed for all of 6 hours. Its 11 at night now. I'm so tired but I can't sleep. I'm scared he won't make it through the night.

-With sadness, Evan