The Angel Pelargonium

Background Story

I’m Jessamine No Last Name. Why you may wonder? I’m No Last Name because I’m an Orphan. I was raised in Marseille, France where the Orphanage was located. But this is not any Marseille, it was the Underworld’s Marseille, I have heard it looks pretty much like the Earth’s Marseille but gloomier.

I entered the orphanage when I was 5 years old. The officers found me in a weak state almost dismembered near a destroyed house. Nobody knew who my parents where nor if I had more family left, since no one came for me they delivered me to the orphanage.
At first the Meboirs treated me really nicely in the orphanage. The Meboirs are the keepers of the orphanage, sort of like nannies. But I was a loner, I didn’t talk to the other kids in the orphanage and deep down inside I knew they were scared of me. Why? Because I had weird eyes I heard one of them say. It was not common to have two shades of color in the same eye. My eyes were pink with a purple-red surrounding the pupil.

I had been alone until Kahir came into the orphanage. Kahir was a strange boy, he was antisocial but he was adventurous at the same time. The first time he spoke to me he said “I like your eyes, they look like the weird thing in the garden” and smiled. After that I wanted to see the weird thing in the garden. To my surprise it was a flower, they had teached us that in the Earth class. Indeed it was weird to see a that flower in a garden full of spines and roses. It was a lonely bush with only one flower that matched the color of my eyes. Later on we found out it was called an Angel Pelargonium,when we asked the teacher of Earth class.
After that encounter Kahir and I were inseparable. We did everything together, even our mischief. We even sleepttogether, although that was not right but we were kids and the Meboirs understood that. I mean what did it matter since it will all end when we reached our ten years which are 20 human years. What happens when you reach ten years? You may wonder. It simple really, we start to get picked in the orphan and we are moved to a real family. Why at that age? Well that is the age when our parents creature genes start to appear. It would have been much easier if the Meboirs knew who our parents were but since they didn’t we had to wait.

I remember the day Kahir was ten. He was 3 months older than me so his transformation was sooner, but I will never forget it…
It was September at night. The Meboirs had come into the room and turned of the lights. A little girl waited in the lower bunk bed, for the Meboirs to go. Then she opened her eyes “K are you awake?” her little voice sang through the room. “Yeah, you?” he asked and the little girl started laughing “Of course silly!” she shouted and lifted her little body from the bed in one jump her red ringlets bouncing over her fair face. “Hush Jessa or we will get caught again” he whispered. “OK sorry” she whispered back, then jumped again at the sudden idea she had “Let’s go to the garden K, to check our angel” she said and watch the bump on the upper bunk bed as she waited for a reply. The bump suddenly shifted position and turned his back to her. “Kahir No Last Name! Don’t let me get up there and force you to come down!” she shouted and put her hands over her hips as the Meboirs did when they were angry. She waited in the dark room for a reply and then she heard a sob and a cutting sound coming from Kahir. She went running to the bunk bed stair while saying “Kahir I’m sorry I was just kidding don’t cry please” when she reached the bed Kahir screamed “Don’t come any closer!” and coiled himself at the far end his back at Jessamine. “Kahir what’s wrong?” she asked while crawling slowly towards him. “Jessa stop please! Don’t look at me!” he screamed and started crying harder. She didn’t say anything and kept crawling towards him. When she reached him she found some red dots on the sheets. She didn’t understand what was going on so she hugged Kahir’s trembling back in one leap. “K come on, tell me what’s going on why is there red dots on the sheets?” she asked rapidly. He said between sobs “It’s over Jessa I’m changing! I’m changing! They’ll keep us apart!” when Jessamine hear this she hugged Kahir stronger and buried her head on his back. Now tears of her own were falling over her face “Don’t say that Kahir! That will never happen” her heart started accelerating, beating so strong it echoed over the room. Suddenly Kahir stopped trembling and turned to face Jessamine. Jessamine’s eyes narrowed as she saw the figure in front of her. She knew it was still Kahir but his shirt was covered with blood and his eyes were no longer the deep blue she remember. They were red, sparkling red that glowed in the darkness of the room surrounded by red tear drops. And his mouth…his mouth was oozing with blood. “Jessa I’m thirsty” as he said this he launched towards Jessa his mouthed opened showing his vampire fangs knocking her over the bed.

After that I never got to see him again. As soon as the Meboirs found him and noticed his sparking red eyes they took him away at once to the Council. Although I pleaded and cried to the Meboirs to let me see him. I didn’t even have a proper goodbye after all, and he was the only family I had. But that was all in the past.

When I turned 10 I cursed that day. But that day will haunt me for the rest of my life. You see Kahir was a Pure Vampire, that explained his sparkling eyes. But I was only a hybrid a mixture between a vampire and a shapeshifter. I never got to get picked because of that. Nobody wanted a hybrid, hybrid are seen as low class in the Underworld.

Now I’m 18 and I’m going to Romania. You see I got a scholarship for the best college in the Underworld. I guess I was lucky. Well the word lucky in this part is a doble edge sword since I am lucky to be in this college but it is full of Pure breeds. And where there’s a pure breed a half breed is seen as dust.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me if you like it so I can keep writing. Merci!!