Fear and Love

London Calling pt. 1

Despite the asshole next to me, the episode on the plane, and the fact that I would probably never see the handsome backpacker... I was in total heaven right now. Though it had been years, the drive from Heathrow to Kensington was still familiar to me. I sighed as we passed London’s downtown “skyscrapers” with the large billboards surrounding them, all facing the cars that were whizzing past on the road. The air thick with moisture, and with my window down I could smell the mixture of the sweet air, mixed with the slightest smoggy smell. It wasn’t bad, like LA on a hot busy workday, but more like the water rides at Disneyland… where you could smell a little bit of diesel from the rides and you could see the soft rainbow streaks in the water, but it was okay, because you were at Disneyland! The sky was miraculously blue, where we were driving now, but I could see a soft gray sky enveloping the area towards which we were headed. For the rest of the drive I just looked out the window and reminisced as we passed things that lingered in my mind from my last visit.

About twenty minutes later, we pulled up to a white, two-story house that looked very similar to the others lining the street; the only variations being the door and windows, and what was contained behind them. If I remembered correctly, my hotel was only a few streets away. And about four blocks down from there ( and about two from where we were now, as far as I could tell), was a bank, Whole Foods, American Apparel and a bunch of other fabulous clothing stores, and an absolutely stunning old church and graveyard, fronted by a large flower stand with all kinds of bright pretty flowers. Ooh! And there is a Starbucks, a block up from the church. I sighed at the though –as soon as I got done with whatever bull Mr. Rick Dick had up his sleeve, I was definitely going for a walk to reacquaint myself with the area. (Even if it was just straight to Starbucks and back.)

“Are you coming?” Rick Dick whined at me from the door of the building.

“Yeah, yeah.” I lugged my suitcase from the curb where he had put it up the stairs and into the pretty white building.

Much like the hotel I had stayed at, the ceilings had intricate carved designs, especially around the perimeter, and there were at least 5 gorgeous chandeliers of all sorts lighting the foyer, and the sitting rooms located off of it. Straight back was a hall that had a stairway to the right, and an elevator to the left. Rick Dick led me this way, though I wanted nothing more than to sit in the bright-red, Victorian plush chair that was near one of the windows looking out on the street so I could watch the passers-by; (with my hot Starbucks in hand, of course). I followed him obediently and went past the elevator/stairway hall, down a few steps to a short, narrow hallway that stretched down a few doors each way. He turned and stopped at the second door.

A small golden plaque at eye level next to the door read:

Analisa S. Cox
Dormitory Headmistress

I chose to ignore the blatant phallic joke that stared me in the face, since I had not met the woman yet, but I was definitely going to tell Aimee about it when I finally got the chance to email her. Rick Dick rapped quickly on the door three times and was answered by a sing-song voice.

“Come in!”

He opened the door, beckoning me to follow, which I did with some difficulty, considering the size of the hallway, and even the narrowness of the door. (I’d forgotten how much smaller everything here was compared to good ol’ America. I made my way in and leaned my suitcase against the back of my chair.

“Well hello, and welcome! You must be Molly. I’m Ms. Cox, the dormitory headmistress.” She stood as she politely held out her hand for me to shake.

“Yes, pleasure to meet you.” I murmured, meeting her eyes and quickly looking down as I took a seat.

Everything about her was so prim and proper; it made me nervous. The walls were crème colored, with framed degrees and certificates elegantly (dare I say, snobbishly) looking down at me. She had two book cases against the walls on each side of her desk, one full of wide binders, containing who knows what kind of information, the other riddled with novels and aged leather-bound books. The top most shelf of each bookcase had framed pictures of who I assumed were friends and family as well as several greeting cards. Her desk was tidy; the only thing occupying it were her computer (an iMac, of course), a blotter, her name plate, and an in-box (which had nothing in it, naturally).

Analisa S. Cox herself was just as formal and neat as her office. She wore a tidy navy and white jacket/skirt combination, with a crisp white button up shirt underneath. I couldn’t see them, but I imagined her shoes would be red patent leather pumps, which would perfectly match the red purse hanging on the coat rack in the front corner of the office.

“You must be exhausted, so I’ll make this quick. I’m just going to go over the basics since you missed the initial orientation. I heard your plane was delayed upon landing?” She glanced quickly at Rick, who gave a curt nod, and her gaze shifted back to me. “So sorry to hear that. Anyway, I just need to go over a few rules and procedures with- ”

“Excuse me Anali-, ahem, Ms. Cox,” he corrected himself when she raised her eyebrows at him. “If you don’t mind, may I leave? I don’t see the necessity in me staying for this conversation.”

“Oh, of course. So sorry, Rick. I’ll let you know if I need anything else.”
At that, he slipped out the door, barely avoiding slamming it.

“Thank God!”

Ms. Cox exclaimed, allowing her posture to slip as she crumpled down to her desk. Her outburst took me by surprise, and I jumped a bit, then glanced sideways at her, so she didn’t think I was totally staring as she collected herself again. She looked up at me, shaking her head.

“I thought he would never leave, He is the most insufferable, irritating, unhappy little git I’ve ever met!”

I blinked a few times, this time full out staring. I was not sure what to make of it, nor what to say (other than ”I concur!”). I guess she was not as prim and proper as I had suspected.

“I’m so sorry dear. I just- ugh, he is so frustrating. I wish I could get rid of him, but the headmaster would never have it. Anyway, where were we?”

“I, erm… rules? Procedures?” I started, not really able to speak yet. This trip was starting out like it was something from the Twilight Zone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a short little something to hold you all over until I can really get a good chunk of this story done.

I added "London Calling" by The Clash to the playlist., because it is what I listened to when I was landing in England, when I went... also I like it for this story.. it is kind of perfect, and will have references later on :)

Playlist here: http://www.playlist.com/playlist/14619358987

Thanks for reading.