Melt Your Headaches, Call It Work

Chapter One

Starbucks was a living hell, what with the demanding costumers, surprisingly exhausting hours, and the scent of warm coffee and milk that clung to my body, clothes, and hair like a thick cloud of smoke. When I first started to work at the busy café near my apartment, I loved the scent, until about three months ago. Then it started to get on my nerves. Even Spencer, my roommate and best friend hated the scent after a while.

When the clock chimed eight o’clock, I stood up from my position crouched behind the counter and removed the emerald green apron from my neck. Not even bothering to hang it on the designated hook, I balled it up and tossed it against the wall. I gathered my bag and coat into my arms, waved goodbye to my co-worker, Jon, and left the store. Wrapping the coat tightly against my tiny frame, I braced myself against the cold, headed towards the apartment shared with Spencer.

After a ten minute walk, I entered the building and made my way to the fourth floor where my apartment resided. I finally made it to my door, and, after a minute’s pause, burst through the door and chucked my bag aside.

“Spencer, I’m home!” I sang, toeing off my black and red vans as I walked to the kitchen. “Where are you?”

“Kitchen,” Spencer called back, his voice so pinched, I could practically hear his bitch face. I raised an eyebrow, slowing my walk.

“Is everything okay?” I questioned, pulling my caramel hair back into a ponytail.

“Haley’s over,” Spencer replied. I rolled my eyes. Haley was Spencer’s girlfriend of one year who happened to hate how close me and Spencer were.

“Hiyah Haley,” I called, walking into the kitchen and heading for the fridge.

“Hello Lizzie—I mean, Libby.” I grabbed a soda and turned around, facing the couple seated at the counter. Spencer was staring at his clasped hands while Haley was glaring at me. Typical.

“How’s everything in paradise?” I smirked, popping the top to my soda. Haley blushed while Spencer rolled his eyes. After a moment of awkward silence, Haley nudged Spencer with her elbow, motioning for him to speak. Spencer narrowed his eyes even more and sighed.

“Libs, you remember what today is…right?” Spencer asked, annoyed.

“Uh…Monday? If it’s something important, I’m sure my best friend in the world will remind me,” I cooed, batting my eyelashes at him. Spencer cracked a smile while Haley scowled and elbowed him hard.

“OUCH! Haley, I’m getting to it!” Spencer snapped, rubbing his ribs. Sipping my soda, I made a motion of a whip cracking. Spencer’s scowl came back on full force while Haley frowned. “Libs, you’re moving out.”

I sprayed my soda out, dousing Haley with a shower of Coca-Cola. Shrieking, she brushed the spit and liquid off of her while Spencer fought a smile and reached for the towel.

“Wow, Spencer, thanks for the warning,” I replied, setting my soda down and wiping my mouth. “I just feel so much better knowing my best friend since kindergarten informed me of my moving out of the apartment.” Sarcasm dripped from my mouth as I imitated Spencer’s infamous face.

“We told you a month ago!” Haley snapped. “Remember?”

“Wait, you guys were serious?” I squeaked, pointing from Haley to Spencer, then back again. “I thought that was a joke, you know, to get back for telling Spencer you were pregnant!” Haley scowled as Spencer cleared his throat, embarrassed.

“Haley and I just really want to move in together,” he explained.

“Fine, but only as long as we still get to have Friday Movie Night,” I sighed. Haley elbowed Spencer again, and he cleared his throat again.

“About that, Libs…”

“You bastard,” I gasped, slapping my hand over my heart. “Friday Movie Night? I understand kicking me out of your apartment, but FRIDAY MOVIE NIGHT? The same movie night we’ve had since we were seven?” Haley rolled her eyes while Spencer had the decency to look ashamed.

“Look, Libs, can you please just move in with your mom until you find an apartment?” Spencer begged. “And I’m really sorry!”

“My mother? No, no way in hell,” I snapped, holding my hands up in a crossed position. “I am not staying with my mother!”
♠ ♠ ♠
New story! Okay, so updates might go a little slowly because I have three active stories going, but you never know.
I'm going to need characters, so message me if you'd like to be a part of it and I'll add you.
Message/Comment/Love!