Exposed In Lights

I want to apologise to her

I woke up the next morning and smiled. I hadn’t woken up and smiled in a long time but as the nights events replayed in my head I couldn’t help it. It felt natural now. The sun beamed through the windows brightening the room. My eyes took a moment to adjust then I got out of bed quickly.

I straightened my hair and did my make up, just some foundation, mascara and my signature line of liquid eye liner on my upper lid would suffice. I tipped my clothes out of my bag and shoved the old ones in not bothering with folding them. I changed into a blue skirt with a cotton vest top that had orange, black and blue patterns on it. I picked up my shoes, travel bag and my orange purse and skipped down the stairs.

The first thing that hit me was the smell of celebration pancakes, I smiled and dumped my bags and orange heels at the door and skipped into the kitchen with a big smile on my face. Everyone was seated around the table except for Denise who was stood up making more pancakes to top up the almost empty plates in front of her boys. Kevin was reading the new paper at the head of the table.

There was a spare seat for me next to Nick. I sat down in it and grabbed Nick’s wrist as he was about to put a piece of pancake in his mouth and turned it in my direction sharply. I ate the syrup covered pancake off the fork and smiled.

He pouted at me, “Rude.” He mumbled and ate the last piece he had. I ruffled his hair.

“You’ll live I’m sure.”

“You better hope so.” He smirked and went back to eating.

Denise placed some pancakes down in front of me and I smiled up at her, “Thank you.”

“You’re very welcome.” She replied.

I lathered my pancakes in syrup and dug in, “That’s a nice outfit.” Kevin complimented, “Where’s that vest from?”

“My friend, Karen, made it for me. She works as a designer in the UK.” I replied.

Everyone chattered around me about the fact they were going golfing today because they finally had a day off and celebration was in order, obviously. I smiled when something funny was said but otherwise I was in my own little world. I just kept replaying the kiss in my head, my lips tingled for more.

“Julia.” Paul’s voice dragged me from my fantasy. “We’re going to dinner tonight, would you like to come?”

“I have tickets to go and see the All-American rejects.” I was actually saddened that I couldn’t go to dinner with them, it would have been fun.

“Well, what time does it start?” Joe asked.

“It starts at eight.”

Joe smiled, “Well we can go to dinner at half six and then drop you off there.”

“We should go with you. I like them.” Nick smiled.

I shrugged, “Sounds like a plan if it’s okay with Denise and Paul…”

The boys and I both looked to their parents who shared a moment then nodded, “You can all go.”

Everyone was excited now but to be honest I was still waiting to be invited to go golfing. I probably wouldn’t play but it would be nice to watch, I like golf. I stood up and began to help Denise clear everything away and into the dishwasher.

“Guys, can I say something?” Nick asked getting everyone’s attention, Denise and I leaned against the counter and watched him. “Last night Julia and I decided to get back together.”

“Finally.” Joe shouted straight after, I chuckled trying to hide the fact I was bright red.

“Took you two long enough.” Kevin smirked, I scowled at him.

Denise glared at them, “Boys stop it.” She turned to me and smiled, “I’m happy for you both.”

Nick stood up from his seat and carried two glasses over in each hand, “Thanks.” He said to his Mum then he planted a kiss on my forehead. “And in case you were wondering, the reason I haven’t invited you to golfing is because we’re golfing with Miley, her boyfriend and her Dad.”

I couldn’t go because I wasn’t friends with someone? How unfair. Maybe it was about time I said sorry to her and we kissed and made up. Well, not kissed. The more I thought about it the more I decided that I should say sorry and give Miley a chance.

“I want to apologise to her.”

Nick looked shocked. I waited as he took it in and smiled as his face softened. “Seriously?” He asked in a high pitched voice. I scowled at him, it seemed he was looking down on it. “I don’t mean to seem so shocked but I never imagined it.”

“Well, start doing it.” I smirked and pecked his lips. He smiled and his eyes made me swoon for a moment before I tore my self away from him. “Can you drive me home so I can change?” Nick nodded and grabbed his keys off a hook which held numerous sets of keys. “What time are we golfing anyway?”

“You’re going to play?” He asked, shocked again.

“No, like I would even attempt to play golf. I’ll just watch you guys.”

“With Miley…” Nick added, smirking.

“Yes, with Miley. Now can we go?” I asked impatiently. “Thanks for letting me stay over Paul and Denise.”

“You’re welcome.” Paul answered, “Nick, we’ll meet you at the course?”

He looked down at me, “Let’s go then, bye guys!”

I waved to everyone and enjoyed the feeling of Nick’s arm around my waist. He let go of me at the door and picked up my travel bag for me, I slipped on my shoes and tucked my bag over my arm and wrapped my arms around Nick’s neck, the heels made me tall enough to see him face to face. He pulled my lips up to his and smiled against the kiss so I smiled back.

“I love you.” I whispered and kissed his nose.

He scrunched up his face, “And I love you.” He laughed quietly and kissed my nose.

We walked out to his car and I basked in the sun. Nick gave the thumbs up to the paparazzi outside his house as he put my bag in the boot, he opened my door for me just as I got to it. “Thanks.” I chuckled and got into the car. I placed my bag by my feet and pulled out my Blackberry and began replying to emails about the Grammys.

The radio bellowed through the car as we chatted about what I was going to say to Miley, he seemed very amused about how I was nervous about apologising. I hated admitting I was wrong, I hated being wrong but having seven months to look back on what I said about her I did feel pretty bad. I’d grown up a lot since then and I hope that she’d take that into context.

When we got to my house my family was in, my Dad was playing in the games room with my brothers and my Mum was wandering the house. “Hello Nick, nice to see you again.” She smiled then looked to me with accusing eyes, I nodded and she grinned. I chuckled, “Yay!” She cheered, “What are you guys doing here anyway?”

“I live here.” I stated cockily, she gave me the eye and I winced, “Ouch, there was no need for such violence. I’m going to watch them golf with the Cyrus’s.”

I tried to escape to my room with Nick but she followed, “Miley Cyrus! Julia Rose Beckham if you say one horrible word to her—”

“I’m planning on apologising; don’t get your knickers in a twist.” I turned to Nick, “You can change in my bathroom.” He smiled and grabbed his bag, I watched him disappear before I turned back to my Mum. “Help me choose an outfit?”

She smiled and strutted into my closet. I stripped down to my underwear and browsed my closet with her. “Julia, I wish you’d wear more womanly underwear.” My Mum scolded.

“Girls boxers are comfortable.” I argued defensively, these ones were green with a white rim which said ‘I love boys pants’ on them. “No one is going to see them anyway.” I retorted. She spun around and tossed a denim ruffle dress with straps, two yellow buttons attached the straps to the front of the dress. The next thing she threw at me was a yellow hat with a black ribbon around it and a pair of black flats with a black flower on the top. I changed into them and then put on my pair of Marc Jacobs tortoise shell coloured wayfarers. “Thanks Mum.” I smiled and kissed her cheek.

She twisted my hat around and pulled my hair around so it hung nicely around my face, “You look beautiful.” She kissed my forehead.

I smiled at her and skipped out to see Nick sat on my bed in a pair of cream colours shorts and a white polo, the collar stuck up around his neck. “You look wonderful.” I said to Nick, he stood up and spun me around under his arm.

“You look better.” He argued and kissed my cheek, “I like this hat.” He said running his finger around the top of it.

I smiled, “Thanks, ready to go? By the way can I shove my phone and Blackberry, oh and my purse into your bag to save me taking one?”

He nodded and tossed the flap of his messenger back over, I handed him my stuff and he placed them in the zip part of it at the front. He closed it back up and tossed it over his shoulder then held out his hand for me. I slipped my hand into his and we rushed out the door.

“Bye!” I called to my family before shutting the door behind us.

Paparazzi crowded us as we tried to get to his car, this was the first time I’d seen them invade his space when I was with him. They usually didn’t push their luck, “Give them some room!” A regular pap shouted but it made no difference.

Nick kept one arm around my and one out in front of me to keep them from pushing me, “Can you let us get to the door please?” I asked politely and they tried to oblige. I managed to get into the car and Nick closed the door for me before pushing through the paparazzi and getting in the car. He started the engine straight away and took off.

“That’s insane.” He said after a long period of silence.

I shrugged, “I’m used to it.” I sighed and he placed his hand on my knee. I smiled at him but he focused on the road, I was happy about that. When I was in school I saw a presentation about car safety and I was now paranoid about whoever drove me anywhere after seeing all the crashes and things.

When we pulled up at the private golf club we walked into the posh building that had marble floors and sleek walls. Everything was posh and elegant, the halls were brightly lit and Nick seemed to know where he was going and he wanted to get there quickly after noticing that some paparazzi had somehow gotten into here. They were either paparazzi or were just rudely taking pictures.

We walked into the fresh air again in what seemed to be a private sector, everyone was gathered around golf carts and my eyes immediately landed on Miley. She was wearing a pair of ripped tights with denim shorts over them, a long grey vest top of numerous bangles on her wrist. She stood next to Justin who was talking to Kevin.

I headed straight over there and tapped on her shoulder, everyone looked tense for battle. I was a bit ashamed that they thought that I would actually do that. “Can I talk to your for a minute?”

She looked at everyone around her then nodded, I walked away with my arms folded over my chest until we were a good distance away. “Yes?” She asked in a calm tone, I was glad she wasn’t being rude.

“I just want to apologise for being so rude about you however long ago it was. It was wrong of me to judge you like that and I really hope we can be friends.”

She pondered it for a while then nodded, “I’d like that.” Miley opened her arms for a hug and I hugged her back, “I should apologise too, I can hold a long grudge.”

“It’s all my fault, I was the immature one.”

“I’m glad we’re okay now though, I’m not playing. Are you?” She asked.

I was really annoyed with my self for not giving her a chance, “Nope, just watching.”

“Good, we can entertain each other. And by the way, I’m totally cool with you and Nick so don’t feel like you have to hold back.” She smirked.

I chuckled, “You have an underwear model for a boyfriend, you should be cool.”

She smiled and sighed as she ogled at his ass, “Yeah…” She agreed and slipped away into Miley land. I snapped my fingers in front of her face. Her eyes darted around as she came back into reality, she laughed at herself then dragged me over to where the boys were stood watching us. “You guys look like you’re ready to pounce, geez, calm down.”

“I know.” I teased and Nick smirked at me then sent a wink my way, “Lets us…” I paused and corrected my self, “You golf!”

We all got onto a golf cart, Justin and Miley sat in the front of one and Nick and I sat on the back of it with his golf clubs.

I had underestimated how boring golf really is, Miley and I sat on the back of the golf cart watching them do the same thing over and over again. Hit ball after ball, nothing ever changed. “This is such an old persons game.” I groaned and threw my head back against the head rest.

“Want to go to the driving range?”

I nodded and we climbed over the back of the seat, Miley started the golf cart and we drove off much to the dismay of Justin and Nick. We waved to them and laughed happily all the way to the driving range.

When we got there we grabbed a golf club and a basket of balls each, I grabbed one of the balls and hit it around ten yards ahead of us. “What do we do just hit it?” Miley asked hitting one of her golf balls a smaller distance than mine.

“Yeah.” I replied and tried to imitate how I saw Nick do it, I managed to get it a lot farther than before, “Just imitate what the guys did.” I told her so she did and we were finally getting somewhere.

We did that until all of our balls had gone then we decided to ride around to try and find where they had ended up, we ended up getting lost. “Crap.” She sighed, “You drive.”

We swapped sides and then took off across the golf course to cut to another path that we were supposed to stick to, “Oops.” I chuckled as some golfers shouted abuse at us. I decided to stick to the roads from then on.

“You shouldn’t have done that.” Miley said through her laughter, “This is so fun.”

“I’m thirsty.” I told her and took a sharp right turn towards the café. I parked at the entrance and left the keys in the car, one of the staff drove it away for us and we shrugged. We walked through the café together getting stared at by numerous people, we were ushered onto a closed off balcony over looking the whole course.

“Do we have to go and get the drinks? Or do they come to us?” Miley asked and I shrugged, someone came through the balcony doors with two cokes in their hands, “How’d they know we wanted coke?” She whispered.

“Stalkers.” I replied and grabbed the drink from in front of me, the waiter had gone before I had a chance to thank him.

“A toast…” Miley said, I picked up my drink and held it in the air, “To letting things go.”

“And to having really fit boy friends.” I added quickly.

Our glasses clinked together and we took a long drink before laughing to each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the comments on the last chapter, keep them coming :)

-Rose