The Treasurer

The Plan

Jaylie
“Hey, thanks for the chili-cheese fries and ride.” I said as I shut the car door.
“You sure you don’t want to come to my place to watch a movie?” Stan said leaning out the car window.
“I’m sure; I just have to finish up some homework.” A small white lie.
“On the first day? Bummer, ok see you tomorrow.” He said accepting defeat then drove away.
I walked up the pathway to our ordinary house on our ordinary street. I’m serious that’s our street name, Ore Din Ary Ave. Our town Springfall is a small community where everyone knows everyone but we aren’t hicks or anything. Seriously I hate watching movies where they portray a small community as hillbillies. And no, just because we are a small town doesn’t mean people date their cousin, gross.
I checked my backpack for the house key but couldn’t seem to find it. I could’ve sworn I put it in the side pocket this morning but it is pretty typical of me to forget my key. Which is why I have a spare, hiding under a rock in our rose garden. I lifted the rock to retrieve the key. Once inside I unraveled myself from my scarf.
I shut the shut the front door not letting anymore cold wind in the house. Just because it was late summer in Dakota doesn’t mean it’s not chilly. I walked to the kitchen which had a faint aroma of cookies. With another sniff I could tell it was peanut butter cookies, my favorite.
“Mom? You here?” I called but not really expecting an answer.
Apparently, when my dad died mom threw herself into work to avoid the loneliness she felt. Sadly, she avoided me too. She was a head nurse but she really didn’t need to work with the amount of money dad left behind. I have no memories of dad since he died when I was 2 but do have nightmares and somehow he’s always in them.

Princess Mia Lee
He calls with a faint voice
He knows I have no choice
Why doesn’t he just return?
From the past does he not learn?
Come back to me love
Let us rise to the above
Do not leave the light
Please let us not fight
I guess it is far too late
It’s now in the hands of fate

Keith
I lay down on my bed not feeling an ounce of sleep. The Castle has never been the same since Trevor had died unexpectantly. Our Princess has never been the same either; her angelic voice hasn’t uttered a small laugh since then. Each day the Moon Shadows grow stronger. I can feel them creeping in the shadows lurking on despair, growing powerful sucking life away from our kingdom.
This Treasurer we desperately need isn’t even prepared for battle. She does not know the secrets of the Moon Shadows. How is our princess so sure that this young girl is our key to defeating the Moon Shadows? At least my men are prepared and ready. Yes we are ready to defeat this new king that they have. If only our princess had as much faith in us as she does in the Treasurer.
Princess Mia Lee, the Beauty. Yes, she once did have a sister whom was her twin, the twin was older and the rightful heir to the throne but so sadly the Moon Shadows had taken her over as a toddler and killed her. We aren’t sure of her name since our princess never spoke of her but we guess that her looks are the same as our princess. Red flaming hair that touches the ground and ripples with every step. Her skin so white, as if it was translucent but a soft glowing appearance. It has been decades since anyone has seen our princess’s ocean blue eyes dance with delight now it is only filled with clouds of sadness.
Keith…Come… Princess Mia Lee called to me in my thoughts. Instinct took over as I jumped out of my bed running out the door. As a knight of Princess Mia Lee it is my duty to protect her before anyone else. I climbed the stairs two at a time to reach her tower quickly. I reached for her bedroom handle but was burned doing so. Stupid magic I thought, as many times before this I had once again forgotten to speak the passage that lifts the spell from the lock. Now speaking the wrong passage isn’t exactly a thrown into dungeon deal no, the results are more fatal.
“The Treasurer of the light will defeat the darkening night. The treasurer is the token so let the spell be broken.” Correctly saying the passage the handle was no longer a hot burning iron but merely a handle.
“Keith, you’ve burned your hand,” Princess Mia Lee said with a soft smile, “Again might I add.”
“Yes, I do apologize.” I kneeled again in embarrassment.
“Stand Knight, I have specific orders for you.” Her angelic voice rose with authority.
“Anything princess, that you wish for.” I replied curious of what my task may be. Getting the troops ready for battle? Or maybe advice for new weapons?
“Our Treasurer will need training so I need you to ‘Take her’ and then train her in the hidden cottages of Lake Lei.” She made it sound so simple yet it wasn’t even close to simplicity.
“My Princess are you sure now is the time? Clearly the treasurer is unprepared for the news I’ll bring to her.” I cannot train a treasurer! Does Princess Mia Lee not realize the danger she’ll bring to herself.
“Knight you bring good points to me but the Moon Shadows know of our Treasurer and they will soon try to destroy her,” Princess Mia Lee wore a worried expression but only for a second, “You have one week to ‘Take her’.”
♠ ♠ ♠
~~~Slowly it's starting to make sense right?~~~~