The Unforgotten

Desire for Laska

Ines ceased his full sprint, panting heavily and wiping sweat from his brow. After catching his breath, he grinned at the young woman perched upon a nearby rock, and said “Well, I’m here!” Laska smiled in return; her happiness seemed to emanate from her figure and permeate Ines’ own. Her short, auburn hair swayed effortlessly in the salty seabreeze, a sort of mesmerizing dance which beckoned him to continue.

“Do you mind if I sit down?” Laska laughed.

“No, Ines, stand there and rot.” Again she laughed her enticing laugh, and she gestured to him, smiling. With a nod, he sat down beside his cherished childhood friend, on a log which had probably washed up on the beach earlier in the day. The pair always found a new place to sit, watch the waves, and dream of the future. But that didn’t even occur to Ines; all that mattered was that it was time spent with Laska. In his eyes, she was as perfect as could be. Her athleticism, her picturesque features, and above all her boundless compassion: all aspects which added to her appeal. All Ines had ever wanted since the day they had become friends was to spend time with her.

Suddenly overcome with doubt, he brushed his medium-length black hair away from his left eye, and quietly uttered a sigh. How could she ever like a guy like me? he thought. I have no direction, and there’s nothing special about me in the least…there’s no way she feels the same way. I need to let this crush go…it’s a lost cause. Almost as though she could read his mind, Laska turned to Ines.

“Hey…you lost your bracelet, didn’t you? When you were swimming?” she asked. Ines, broken from his trance and now utterly puzzled, nodded. Laska paused and turned away, and then turned to look him straight in the eyes. “Well, uh…here!” She produced a small string of beads, each containing what seemed to be an individual swirling sky. Without a second thought, he took the bracelet from her hand.

“Do you like it?”

“Yeah, it’s beautiful…” Ines responded. “Where’d you get these beads?”

“My mom helped me make them. Each one is infused with aero magic…she says they’re sort of a good luck charm. Go ahead, try it on.” With a quiet nod, he slipped his wrist through the bracelet: it fit as though it had been built around his wrist.

“It fits great!” he said, excitement nearly tangible. He looked at Laska and timidly said “Thank you.”

Out of nowhere, Laska lashed out and embraced Ines. As she squeezed him close, she muttered “No…thank you. For everything.” Completely taken aback, but not one to refuse a hug from Laska, he and simply returned the favor for his beloved friend.

As she let go of his torso, she quickly smiled and hopped gracefully to her feet.

“Let’s head in. I’ll race ya!” To this, Ines nodded and smiled. He, too, jumped from the log, and the duo darted towards town, backs alight from the sunset, and spirits alight from the infallible friendship they both cherished.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm revising this story completely. Hopefully I'll have the time to update more than once a year now -.-