Status: complete

As Bizarre as It Gets

The Final Chapter

''Put the ice back on,'' my aunt was nagging.

''I can't. I feel like my eye will fall out,'' I whined.

''The boys will be here in a few hours, you said you wanted the swelling subside by the time they got here,'' she reminded me and nervously rearranged the throw pillows on the sofa.

I put the ice pack back onto my cheek and went back to the guest bedroom. I needed to think.

One side of the curtains were drawn to block some of the light. I pulled the hood over my head and took a look into the mirror. I looked like I was plagued with some horrible disease. I bit back the sob that sat on my chest and walked over to the stereo to push play. I had to smile. The CD I'd left there last summer was still inside. My own compilation of romantic songs. Seether's song Broken came on first. And it fit the situation Physically – I was broken. But in my mind there were so many pleasant emotions mixing. I would see him again.

My eyes widened when I heard the familiar buzzing sound.

''Aunt Mary!'' I shouted.

''They're here already! They're coming up! Better apply some makeup quickly!''

Oh, dear. Oh, my. They were... Over two hours early! I started pacing around the room feeling my heartbeat in my throat. Eventually I just sat down on the bed again and waited for someone to knock on the door. When the knock came, I tried pulling the hood over my eyes in panic, knowing it wouldn't go any lower.

''C-come in,'' I managed to squeeze out.

The door slowly opened and Yu stepped in. Strify and Kiro were right behind him. I turned my face toward them and heard them gasp.

''Could you guys wait outside, please?'' Yu whispered to the boys who went back to the living room without a word.

''What happened, Carly?'' he asked, sitting down next to me.

He tried to put his arm around me but I hissed with pain. He pulled it back at the speed of light.

''Yu... Yesterday there were some girls in the street who somehow recognized me and beat me up. They also...'' I said and pulled the hood off my head.

He looked wide-eyed and breathless for a moment or two.

''Oh, my God... Carly,'' he breathed out and carefully took me into his arms. I snuggled into him.

''This is all my fault. Please,forgive me,'' he said.

''How can it be your fault?'' I was confused.

''That magazine came out. I told the journalist I was in love with the writer Carly Graves and they did research... The magazine published your picture and wrote that you were a promoter of Satanism who was responsible for numerous teenage suicides.

''I can't... I can't go through all that all over again,'' I whispered because I knew my voice would break if I spoke up.

''Come here, come closer to the window,'' he said getting up and taking my hand. We walked over to the window and he thoroughly examined my face.

''I should have known that bastard reporter would do something like this. I should have known. I'm so sorry, Carly. My intentions were good and honest but instead of declaring my love for you, I almost got you killed... Don't leave me.''

''Is... Is that what you're worried about? And I thought you would turn and leave for good if you saw me like this,'' I said with relief.

''What?! No, no, no... You'll have to do a lot better than having your hair cut off if you want me out of your life.''

''We both laughed, suppressing the tears of fear and pain. We were both telling ourselves tis wasn't a big deal.

''We should let the boys in now,'' I suggested an pulled the hood over my head once again.

He drew the curtains to fill the room with daylight and went to the living room. About a minute later Yu, Shin, Strify, Luminor and Kiro slowly walked in and gathered around me. I forced myself to look at their worried faces. For some reason, Strify was chewing a mouthful of something and sucking his fingertps.

''You' au' maef ah veph 'aef eve','' he commented.

''Your aunt makes the best cakes ever,'' Kiro translated for me. We all laughed nervously, that was simply out way of dealing with this.

Luminor slowly reached for my hood and asked: ''Can I?''

I nodded and stared at my lap so I wouldn't see the boys' faces after they'd seen my ruined hair. Lumi fiddled with some strands for a short time and then knelt in front of me. His long black skirt pooled on the floor. He took my hands in both of his and waited until I looked into his bright blue eyes.

I met his gaze. The very sight of him always had a certain impact on me. His eyes and ghostly pale face, the fragile figure and the long black hair that framed it... He looked like an apparition. Like something from another time.

He said: ''Carly... We can fix this.''

He exchanged some knowing looks with the rest of the boys and left the room. The others sat on the bed or on the floor in front of it.

''Have you been to a doctor? I could drive you to a hospital if you want me to,'' Kiro suggested.

''That's OK, thanx. There is no point, I'll be fine,'' I reassured him. Or at least I hoped so.

Yu went to the living room and came back with a determined look on his face.

''Come on, let's go,'' he said.

Everybody started getting up except me.

''Where are we going?'' I asked.

''To our place. There is nothing to worry about,'' Yu said and helped me up.

(…)

''You guys should seriously start explaining things,'' I stated as I watched Shin, Strify and Kiro put newspaper all over their bathroom floor.

''And where is Lumi?'' I added when nobody spoke up. Nobody was even making eye contact with me. But Strify was smirking.

''Coming through!'' Yu said as he entered the bathroom carrying a chair.

He put it in the centre of the room and motioned for me to sit down in the exact moment we heard the buzz signaling we had a visitor.

''They're here!'' Strify squealed and ran out followed by everybody else. Wtf?

After some commotion and whispering, they came into the bathroom. Luminor entered first, accompanied by some tattered up young man. The rest of the guys huddled around the doorway visibly exited.

''Carly'' Luminor started explaining, ''this is my dear friend, his name is Stevie.''

Stevie-boy and I shook hands.

Lumi continued: ''He is a makeup artist and has agreed to help you out. Free of charge, of course.''

Stevie took one step closer to me and ran his fingers through my hair.

He said: '' We're gonna fix all this. Shin had an idea and I must say I agree with him... Now that I see you.''

''Wh-What kind of idea?'' I stuttered and made everybody laugh.

Shin joined us by carrying two large black cases and placing them on top of each other on the washing machine.

Stevie opened the top case and fiddled with something inside it while saying: ''Firs we're gonna dye your hair black and then we're gonna do extensions. Mid-back length. If that's alright with you, of course.''

''Sure. Good idea, Shinnie,'' I said making Shin blush a little.

(…)

''Here,'' Stevie said, handing me a paper tissue.
I pressed it on my lips to remove some extra lipstick. It was a deep red colour. My eyes were encircled with black eyeliner and the blush that his skillful hands applied high on my cheek bones possibly made me look a little older than my age.

''Are you ready?''

I nodded and got up after those long hours.

He placed his hands on my shoulders when we both looked into the mirror.

''Behold my masterpiece,'' he announced.

I couldn't believe my eyes. All those dark colours that he'd played with could have made me look like a nightmare but this was something else. No bruises. No cuts. There was a hint of a swelling on my cheek but that was the only (and almost unnoticeable) flaw. The entire traumatic experience was glamoured away. I tossed my brand new hair over my shoulder and watched it reflect a deep blue glow as it moved.

''Stevie.. This is unbelievable,'' I said suppressing the tears prickling at the corners of my eyes. He smiled knowingly and went out of the bathroom.

In the mirror I could see Yu standing in the doorway looking at me.

''You look amazing,'' he said and walked over to me.

I'd watched our reflection in the mirror before I said: ''I resemble her so much right now.''

''Who?''

''Amber. My sister.''

''Oh. I remember you told me about her. She lives in Norway now, right?''

''Yeah.''

''There is one more thing we need to do before we get out of here,'' he said and pulled me by the hand,'' out of the bathroom and into his bedroom.

(…)

''Hold her tightly,'' Strify groaned through gritted teeth.

''I am. Take it easy, you'll break her ribs. They're probably cracked from the beating she got,'' Yu replied.

''Oh, yeah. I'm sorry, Carly.''

''That's OK, Strify. But please, loosen it a little,'' I gasped.

''OK... All done!'' Strify said proudly, ''We knew you'd look good in this.''

''Thank you, guys. I don't know what to say,'' I said and strutted in my brand new dress. It was black and white with many frills.

''Now you're all set to go to Shibuya and party,'' Kiro said.

I turned to Shin, Kiro and Luminor who were lazily lying on Yu's bed and asked them: ''Go where?''

''Nevermind. We'll explain it later.,'' Strify said an looked at the boys significantly. They got up and left the room without a word. All except Yu.

He smiled at me like he was in love, proud of me and planning a mischief at the same time. He gave me a hug. I loved the feeling of his strong hands around me. It made me think nothing in the world could hurt me. We came a long way since we'd first met but that very moment seemed like a brand new beginning. A second act in our play.

Many good things as well as bad ones happened after that moment. Our relationship didn't last forever. Neither did Cinema Bizarre. And my twin sister came back into my life. But that is a whole new story. Maybe someday one of us will tell it.