Saving Anezmae

Chapter 4

Again there was silence, until she spoke, “Okay, lets setup camp here.” I looked around me, what was there to make a camp out of? I was about to ask her this, when I saw her take a handful of dirt into her small, creamy white hands, and scatter it in the wind with her breath. I tilted my head to the side, confused, what was she doing? In an instant the dirt that hung suspended in the crisp, night air, shone like a thousands of precious diamonds; and before I could fully comprehend what was happening, there, in front of me, hung two hammocks in between two very sturdy looking trees. I looked at her in awe, and disbelief. She didn’t stop there though, because she whispered something too low to be audible into the air, took her fingers from her left hand, rubbed them together to form a sort of blue, white friction, that erupted from her fingers like a strike of lightning, pointed her index finger at the ground, and created fire. I stood there dumbfounded, unsure of what to say or do. I was completely and utterly amazed. She looked over to me, arching her eyebrow, “Impressed?”
“Ha! How could someone NOT be?” she smiled, and let out a small laugh.
“Melody, you may not believe it, but in a few short months you’ll be able to do things with magic, I could never hope of accomplishing.” I laughed at her,
“There’s no way…you’re an elf, you naturally have more magical ability than a human.” she nodded once,
“True, but you’re not an everyday, run-of-the-mill human, Melody.” I know she had to have seen me frown at this, but she continued on anyway, “Tomorrow morning we will begin training.”
“Training?”
“Yes, Jared is to teach you how to fight, how to work with your dragon, among with other things. I however, have to teach you how to work with magic; a war is quickly approaching-”
“What?! I have to be in a war?”
“Yes, we’re planning to ambush them…and I’m sure the army the Council has is a lot stronger than it was three hundred years ago; because of this you’ll be learning what usually takes years to develop, in a matter of a couple months.” I crossed my arms over my chest,
“Do you think I’m some kind of ‘super girl’ or something?”
“No…”
“Then what makes you think I can make all types of frilly things from my pipsqueak hands, and kick some major ass in a war, in a couple months? I mean come on, have you seen these weak little legs of mine in action? It’s pathetic! And I’m super clumsy! I’ll probably be fighting some guy and end up tripping over my feet and killing myself!”
“You forgot to mention the part where you’ll be queen.”
“Ugh! You’re absolutely pointless to talk to! Wait, what? I have to be a queen now too?!”
“Of course, after you defeat the Council you’ll be crowned queen.”
“Why? What if I want something more of a democracy?”
“We all want that, but with all of the problems in the country, caused by the Council’s greedy ways, you’ll have to fix them first before setting up any other type of government.” I grumbled, settling myself into the sleeping bags,
“I still don’t want to be queen…”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's so short, but school keeps me busy, especially with yearbook [I'm a writer there] band, student counsil etc. ugh. If I'm lucky I'll be able to get one or two out a week. Weekends are my best bet to get a couple out...
-Sarah