The Ranger's Daughter

The Ranger's daughter

Before Logan had opened his eyes he knew that he was no longer in the forest. He kept his eyes closed and listened. Logan heard a fire crackling and he also felt he was lying on some type of animal fur. This was to cosy to be a prison. Logan continued to listen. At that moment he heard someone who was breathing along with his own breaths. Logan stiffened, he was not alone. The fire cracked again. He sniffed, but to Logan’s big surprise he smelled a sweet scent of roses.
“Since when does a guard smell like roses” he thought. Logan slowly opened his eyes. At a table, not far from were Logan was laying, sat a gorgeous girl. Her long hair was as red as a fire and her eyes green as fresh green grass. She was one of the most beautiful creatures Logan had seen for a long time. For a few minutes Logan was lying there quiet, looking at the woman. He couldn’t stop looking at her, she was so beautiful. After a while she looked up from what she was doing. She turned her head and saw that Logan was awake; she smiled, stood up and walked over to Logan.
“How do you feel?” she said to him with a very sweet voice.
“Good, now when you are here.” Logan said and smiled to her. She looked away for a second. Logan saw that he had made her blush.
“What’s your name?” Logan said to change subject.
“I’m Laura, the ranger’s daughter. “
“It’s very nice to meet you Laura. I’m Logan. Can I ask you Laura what I did to end up…” Logan looked around. He saw he was in a small tree cottage. “… in this cottage with you?” The tree cottage Logan was in wasn’t big. It was just two rooms and a kitchen. Logan was lying on some type of sofa, which was covered with animal furs. There was also some animal furs on the wall and also what looked like Indian stuff.
“Well, Littlebadger and Nakedwolf found you when they were out hunting. It looked like you had been attacked by a bear. They brought you here to get some medical care.”
“Being attacked by a bear wouldn’t be that bad compared to Sabretooth.” Logan thought.
“So you are like a nurse?” Logan looked at Laura.
“Not really. Sometimes I help the Indians in the National Park.”
“And where exactly is this National Park?”
“North of Alberta. Look, perhaps I should leave, you need to rest.” Laura smiled to Logan and started to turn around to live him.
“No. Wait! Please don’t go.” Logan grabbed Laura around her wrist. Laura stopped and looked at Logan. She smiled and blushed.
“Okay then if you insist.” She took a chair and placed it next to Logan on the sofa. Logan let go of her wrist and she sat down next to Logan.

After a few days Logan had fully recovered from his injures. Okay, to tell the truth his injures had been that since just an hour after he had waked up in Laura’s cottages. But since he really liked that Laura took care of him he played injured for a few more days. Ever since he first met Laura he had liked her and every day he liked her more and more. Logan wanted to tell Laura about his feelings for her but he didn’t know how to do it, and if he did, would Laura feel the same? Anyway, Laura had showed Logan around the Indian camp. All of the Indians were very friendly, they seemed to really respect Laura, and she in return respected them. Logan had met the two Indians who had found him in the forest. Littlebadger was a very fun Indian but Nakedwolf, he was, one of a kind. Logan had asked Nakedwolf how he got his name; Nakedwolf told him that when he was a kid he had tried to shave a wolf puppy.

The day had now started to end and the colour of sky had started to change to pink and orange. Laura had insisted that Logan would watch the sunset with her at some place that was called the Spiritcliff. On the walk to the cliff Laura told Logan that the Spiritcliff got is name from that the Indians believed they could get a better connection with the spirits from the past on that cliff. She said that on the winter’s darkest nights you could see beautiful northern lights in almost every colour you could think of.

Laura and Logan had now come up to the cliff. Logan had to admit it was a beautiful view. You could see a green forest that seemed endless and white mountains at the horizon. Usually Logan wouldn’t see this as something beautiful because this region of the world was hiding some of Logan’s darkest memories. But now, when he was with Laura he felt so relaxed and happy.
“When I was sad as a little girl I used to go up here and look at this beautiful view. Fantasize me away.” Laura said and smiled to Logan.
“I hope you aren’t sad now.” Logan said and smiled back.
“No I’m not. I’m very happy at the moment. Ehm... Logan you have never told me about where you come from or about your family.”
“Well, what is to say Laura? I have no home or no family. I just travel around.” Logan looked far away at the horizon.
“Aww, poor Logan. Why don’t you settle down?” Laura walked over to Logan.
“I don’t know. I haven’t found the right one to settle down with”
“But perhaps you have that now?” Laura took Logan’s hands in her own. Logan stopped looking at the horizon and looked up on Laura (the funny thing with this was that Laura was taller than Logan). Blue eyes met green. Everything around Logan disappeared. It was just him and Laura, nothing else in the whole world. Their faces got closer and closer. Logan lost himself in Laura’s green eyes. Then Logan and Laura’s lips connected. When they kissed the sun’s last beam shined before the sun disappeared underneath the horizon.