Status: Finished

Harder Than You Know

Cross your heart and hope to die.

Alex sat outside on the front porch, looking at one of my People magazines. I rolled my eyes as I sat on the sidewalk, watching Audrey draw in chalk on the driveway. It was really sunny - and hot - today. I was dressed for the weather, but still burning up. I drank my sweating glass of lemonade slowly, laying back and soaking up the sun.

"Mommy, don't move. I'm going to trace your body." Audrey commanded. I heard chalk being drug across the rocky sidewalk as I laid perfectly still. "All done!" She cheered, making me stand up. I looked down at the outline of me. I needed to gain a bit of weight. I looked at Alex, who was dozing off. Audrey followed my gaze, the giggled. She drew back her arm, then chucked the large piece of chalk at her father. It hit him square in the head, causing him to roll off the bench. She's got an arm; softball would be great for her. Audrey and I started laughing; the look on his face was priceless.

I shook my head, and walked to get the mail from the mailbox. Michaela and Jack swooped in soon when I was reaching for the mail inside. I rolled my eyes at Jacks horrible driving skills and walked back to the house. I flipped through everything in my hands. Junk. Cell phone bill. Junk again. Ju- Wait, what the fuck. A white, regular sized enveloped was in my hands with 'Alex Gaskarth' written in neat, cursive handwriting. I looked at the confused, then handed it to him once I had reached the porch. Everyone was going inside, so we followed.

"Whoa, who's writing to Alex?" Jack joked, causing everyone to chuckle slightly.

"Thanks asshole, I'm sure you get letters in the mail daily." Alex spat, cursing when he gave himself a paper cut trying to open the letter.

"I do get letters in the mail!" Jack retaliated.

"Mom doesn't count, bro." I giggled, grabbing his shoulder and giving it a tight squeeze.

"Addison, you're a bitch. Shut up." He complained, throwing a pillow at me from the couch. Audrey randomly went up to Jack and kicked his shin, then scurried off giggling like a mad me. I busted out into hysterics, along with Michaela. Jack rubbed his leg, then muttered that Audrey should play soccer. I glanced at Alex; his face was full of confusion and utter repulsion.

"What's wrong, babe?" I asked, confused.

"Huh? Oh, nothing. Nothing. I'll tell you later." He stuff the paper into his jean pocket, and blankly looked at the TV.

I cringed as Bobby and Pyro started fighting. I always loved X-Men, but this one made me cry frequently. Especially when my favorite character dies. (I'm not saying, just in case people haven't seen the third one.) Alex was laying in the bed, the comforter pulled over him. I was perched in the floor like a little kid, working on a college I had been making. I was putting old, classic stuff on the walls, much to Alex's dismay.

After the movie was over, I climbed into the bed slowly. A commercial flashed onto the screen as I flipped the channels, broadcasting the new Miley Cyrus book 'Miles To Go.' I rolled my eyes and reached over to switch off the lamp, but Alex stopped me.

"Look at this, someone sent it to me." He handed me the folded paper to me. I read it over slowly, then understood why his reaction earlier had been the way it was.

'Funny how high school memories slip away, isn't it? Never pictured yourself marrying your best friend's sister, did you? I remember when we were together, and you said you'd never leave me 'till you died. Well, I'm here to remind you that I'm still breathing. You left me broken and battered, and I plan to do the same to you.

Oh, and Alex. I've got friends too. Even your darling wife knows some of them.'


I let the note fall from my hands, and I hastily turned my head back towards my husband. "What's it mean?" I asked him clueless.

He sighed, rubbing the beck of his neck. "I had this girlfriend my senior year - "

"Oh- Jessica Woods. Everyone knows that." I laughed. He scorned at me, most likely for interrupting him, and then continued.

"Well, things got pretty serious between us. We had met each others parents, and even talking about marriage once. I'm not sure why, God forbid that actually would happened, but we did. She was wrapped around my finger pretty tightly, but I started to not like her anymore. I wouldn't return her phone calls, practice with the band longer and almost every day. Soon, I broke it off, and things got hectic.

"She cried all the time at school, and moped around. None of her friends could cheer her up, and everytime they passed me in the hallway they would glare. Soon, we went on tour, so I was free from there. Then the second tour, where I started talking to you, she tried contacting me. I denied any though."

"Great. So your crazed, obsessed ex-girlfriend is coming back for revenge? Fantastic. Not only do I have to worry about Audrey now, I have to worry about some maniac trying to take you away from me." I fell backwards onto the bed, almost hitting my head against the headboard.

"She's not taking us away from each other, love." I promised.

"Cross your heart and hope to die?" I laughed, shaking my head at my childishness.

"Forever."
♠ ♠ ♠
ugh, i hate mibba.

thoughts?