Prosthetic Head

Prosthetic Head Ch. 13

Amy smiled weakly as Ollie thanked the group of teenagers for finding her son. She protested when Ollie said she would stay up with Billie. "Can't sleep, anyway."
"Thank you, dear." Ollie hugged Amy and trudged up the stairs to go sleep.
"You sure you'll be ok?" Mike was concerned for her.
Amy gave Mike and Tre a wry smile. "I've dealt with this kind of thing before. You guys go sleep. I'm a big girl, I can take it."
They smiled at her and went to Mike's room in the basement, arguing over who would have the bed. Amy just shook her head at them and shut the door so they wouldn't disturb Billie's fretful slumber.
Amy put the TV on low volume and sat on the floor, leaning her back against the sofa. She changed the channels, trying to find something remotely interesting to watch. She settled on a Gilligan's Island re-run. Nothing much was on at 2 AM, apparently. After about two hours of mind numbing television, she heard rustling from the couch. He's waking up...crap.
"Where the fuck am I?" His groggy voice croaked as he rubbed his head and looked around.
"Your living room. Drink this," she handed him a glass of water.
"Why are you being so nice to me?" He took it and drank some.
"Long story short, you remind me of my best friend Maria. She died two years ago from an overdose."
He was silent for a minute and refused to meet Amy's eyes with his own. He decided to scrutinize the pattern of the sofa instead. "I'm sorry...about your friend, and what happened in the park today. I just-"
Amy cut him off. "It's ok. Let's put it behind us."
He smiled. "Thank you."
She smiled back. "No problem."
They hugged each other. hey heard a wolf whistle coming frm the kitchen.
"Tre, you fucker!" Billie jumper up and nearly fell over from getting up too fast. After stumbling around like a drunk old man or a baby, he ran after Tre. Tre screamed like a little girl and tried to run away from Billie, but couldn't run fast enough. Billie jumped on Tre and pommeled him until he apologized. Billie sauntered back in the living room and sat down on the sofa.
"And that is how you subdue Tre Cool."
Amy rolled her eyes.
"What?"
"Subdue? That's a big word for a pot head."
Billie snorted and said,"Just cause I don't care abut school doesn't mean I'm not smart. School can't tell me anything about what I want to do in my life, you know?"
Amy nodded. "That's true." She yawned. "I'm fucking tired."
"Did you stay up for me?"
"Yeah."
"I feel like an ass. You can have my bed again."
"Thanks Billie." She gave him a one armed hug and made her way up the stairs and into Billie's room.