Three Ghost in a Lighthouse

Three Ghost in a Lighthouse

“Hurry Alli,” he said to his as the flames grew closer to their house, “take what you need while there’s time!” He turned to look in her eyes as she closed the bag.

“Okay, I’m ready,” she said with a forced smile as the tears filled her eyes, his eyes softened as he looked at her.

“Come, come, the city will be earth in a short while,” and with that they both left running.

“Where are we going?” she asked barely keeping up with him as they ran for their lives.

“You and I will escape to the seaside,” he answered her looking back, than reaching for the bag with one hand, than reaching for her hand with the other. They ran until the city was far behind them, than they reached the shore, and on the beach there was a little rowboat.

“Get in Alli,” he called as he pushed it into the water.

“But John, a storm is coming,” she said as a gust of wind hit her, making her long dress ruffle.

“Alli, we can make it, there is a lighthouse five hundred yards down, you and I will be safe there.” He said taking her hands in his giving them a reassuring squeeze, then smiling, making all her worries fade into nothing. He helped her into boat before shoving off into the water and hopping in himself.

She sat facing the city, watching it burn as the screams of horror and pain rang through the air. Tears slowly started down her face. Then a crack of thunder woke her from her misery, rain soon began to poor done on them. The sea grew rougher by the second. She turned to look at her husband, his hair was plastered to his head, a wave grew behind them, her eyes grew wide and fearful, a scream rose from her throat, causing her husband to turn around and stare in shock as the wave bore down on them capsizing the small rowboat.

Their bodies went in separate directions. She slowly started sinking toward the bottom of the sea, her dress getting tangled in her legs with each kick, trying to her to the surface. Then she heard a soft voice.

“He never came,” it said over and over again. Alli started to lose consciousness as her lungs filled with the icy cold water, but the voice didn’t leave.

“He told me to wait at the lighthouse. I did, I waited for days and days, never leaving that spot. I didn’t eat, I didn’t sleep, I died of starvation, and I still wait for him to come back to me,” the voice rang like bells in her ears.

“The same will happen to you,” it warned and then it was gone. She felt herself being pulled upwards, then there was sand and rain.

“Please breathe!” John pleaded with her as he tried to get the water out of her lungs. Soon a river of water poured from her mouth, her eyes opened slowly to see the mournful look on her husbands face light up with happiness.

“John,” she whispered in a hoarse voice as he hugger her to his chest.

“Yes honey?” he asked stilling holding her tightly.

“There is a girl who haunts the lighthouse,” she started, “she saved me I was swimming, I almost drowned. She told me a story of losing her lover, he was a sailor,” she was about to continue.

“Love, you’re foolish, and tired, you sleepiness makes you a liar. The city is burning, the ocean is turning, our only chance is the lighthouse.” He said picking her up and caring her.

The voice came again, soft singing of how she waited there. Alli’s heart broke with each word.

The door was unlocked, John set Alli down and opened it, he stepped inside, beckoning for her to fallow. She did, turning on the gas lights; they climb up and looked out. Then the door slammed and locked from the outside.

“Three ghost in a lighthouse,” a voice said and it went dark.