Forbidden

Romance is in the air...somewhere...

Kariya sighed for what seemed to be the millionth time for her today. She looked at the clock on the wall and sighed, again. She set down her pen in the tray on her desk and pushed out her chair. She stood up and walked across the room to the door and opened it. A cold wind blows in and Kariya shivers. She steps out and closes the door and hastily walks down the hall to her sleeping quarters. She passes by some people but doesn't pay them any mind. She continues on down the hall, holding her sleeves, with her arms tight around her. She turns a corner and bumps into someone. She falls to the floor and groans. She looks up.
'Just my luck! Out of all the people in the Soul Society I had to run into him!' She thinks as she stands up and dusts herself off and mutters a 'Sorry' as she hastily walks around the figure. The young captain stares curiously at the retreating figure of his old sixth seat. He never understood why she requested a transfer. He would have to ask her about it later but for now he needs to complete his paperwork.
Kariya is walking faster than before down the hall. Her hearts was beating faster than normal and she was turning slightly pink in the face. She reached her room and rapidly rushed inside.
'I'm such a coward!' She thinks as she laid down on her bed and silently cried herself to sleep.
Kariya awoke the next morning dreading the day ahead. She lazily got up and dressed herself. She walked down the halls of the Tenth Squad. Her room hasn't been switched to her new squad yet and so she's stuck with the one in the Tenth Squad. She swiftly turns around when she spots the one person she really doesn't want to see, ever! She groans and halts when she hears her name being called by said person. She turns around and says politely to the young captain.
"Yes Captain Hitsugaya?" He walks up to her with his arms tucked in his sleeves and sighs while closing his eyes.
"I've been meaning to ask you. Why did you request a transfer? I have no knowledge of any good reason for you to leave." He opens his eyes and looks up slightly to see into Kariya's eyes. When he looked up though, he realized that she was looking at her feet as though they were something she had never noticed until now. He sighs again and tries to lighten up the depressing atmosphere.
"It's fine if you don't want to tell me. There's just the fact that everything's been different since you've gone. What I'm trying to say is that we need you back. Matsumoto's been drinking more and yelling at me, saying it's all my fault you left." Kariya looks up and catches the young captain's steady gaze on her. She looks away and decides to tell the truth.
"She's right." She says and the captain tenses and his eyes sadden only slightly.
"I'm terribly sorry to hear that. My sincerest apologies, good bye." He turns to walk away but Kariya catches the back of his shirt. He stops and turns to look at her. She continues what she was saying earlier.
"It was you, but not in the way you think. You see I've requested a transfer to spare my feelings and yourself the embarrassment of everyone knowing your sixth seat fell in love with her captain." She lets go of his hand and turns around to walk away. As she takes her first few steps she speaks in a tone that says she's about to cry.
"I'm sorry for disrespecting you and embarrassing your status as a captain. This is exactly why I requested a transfer." She goes to walk away but a tug on her sleeve stops her. She turns around only to see that the young captain has a hold of it and is looking away. She has a questioning look when she notices his cheeks are slightly pink.
"What if I were to say I have the same feelings toward you? Would you want to be with me?" He asks still not looking at her.
"I would but it is forbidden for any member of the Gotei 13 to be in a relationship with another member." She says with her voice in a mixture of happiness and sadness. He finally looks at her and smirks.
"Nobody has to know about it. It's none of their business anyways." She smiles and hesitantly takes his hand. He kisses it but quickly lets it go when he sees someone coming down the hall. He turns and walks away. Kariya does the same but in the opposite direction. They continue down the hall slowly and when the person turns down the other hall they both turn and face each other. Toshiro smirks at Kariya and she blushes and smiles. They turn down separate halls to reach their original destinations. Later though, Kariya will have a little talk to her new captain about requesting a transfer back saying "They need her help more than ever now." They both found someone to have all to themselves. The fact that it's forbidden makes it even better.