Fear in the Shadows

Two

She awoke to a chorus of birds, chiming notes high and low, flapping their wings through the green foliage ahead. In her eyes was a point of light; the only difference between the night before and the morning was instead of calm moonlight, piercing sunshine was pouring through gaps in the trees above. A shuffling sounded beside her
elbow - the small creatures were already awake and working.

Shaking her head, and blinking a few times, she pulled herself onto fragile feet, and stretched lazily. The shadows still dominated the forest, giving it a mysterious edge, and her eyes still took a few seconds to adjust to it. She looked around, expecting her two companions to become clear beside her as her pupils dilated to their needs. However, her hopes were in vain. Neither Micki nor Tsuki were around. Out collecting some food of sorts, she concluded.

Luna pointed her dainty toes as she walked; her family had always told her that she would be a blossoming ballerina. She took no notice and carried on with her true dream - being a ninja. One who could protect their loves without worries of pain or failure. One who’s emotional strength would grow with her physical. One who would be counted on by those less fortunate. For, truthfully, Luna was a kind hearted being, and would always put other’s needs before her own.

This was why she was pained to know that her new found friends were gone. What if they had bumped into trouble and were now staring deep in the eyes of death? Knowing how she could never live with herself if anything actually happened to them, she set off in search.

Winding her way through the trees was something her body had adapted to well; she could run at her full potential without even scraping her porcelain skin against the rough, damp bark. She had always been a good athlete, and had trained strenuously for, what seemed to her like no valuable reason at all. But her thoughts had been false - her quick reactions and footwork was keeping her well.

Although several times she did nearly lose her footing and slip, due to her overwhelming clumsiness, which had seemingly evaporated the previous day on the arrival of her new friends, but had returned with a passion now that they were gone.

Winding her way through the trees, keeping on no particular route, she stumbled across voices, and stumbled herself at the sound of them. They were hurried and nervous. From the very first high note she heard, she knew that this was Tsuki. Peeking out from behind a tree, she confirmed that the other was Micki. However, from their apprehensive tones, she knew that stepping out to her friends would not be a suitable thing to do. They were being secretive, even maybe from each other.

“He should be proud of us. We have done Him well.”
“But what if He doesn’t like his gift. What if He doesn’t find her satisfactory?”
“He will, Micki. He will.”

Luna had noted the use of ‘her’ when talking about a gift. Her? If her instincts were correct, which they usually were, they were talking about Luna herself. She couldn’t fully comprehend their conversation, so she zoned out slightly as they continued talking.

All of a sudden, the wind surged through the leaves at her feet and towards her two companions, who were standing in complete darkness. Due to this fact, Luna didn’t see their noses twitch upwards, or them stalking towards her hiding place, like wild hunters.

But she did hear the near silent crackle of twigs and leaves beneath their feet. Surely this level of silence was not possible for civilised humans in such a forest. She ignored this strange fact, and attempted to back away in the same silent manner, failing miserably.

As quick as a rogue bullet, the two friends appeared on either side of her, eyes wide in shock. How much had the girl heard? But they couldn’t ask her straight out in case she had heard nothing at all. Luna beamed at them and giggled,
“I found you at last! I was worried for a second!”

Tsuki gave Micki a brief nod and they both released the pressure that was building up inside of them. It was inhuman to have such a neutral reaction after hearing the full extent of their conversation, therefore they had nothing to be worried about.

Tsuki exhaled and held her hand out towards Luna, opening her fingers to reveal the sweet treasure that had been kept behind the barrier of her flesh. Berries. Lots of different types. And from Luna’s childhood teachings of wild berries, none of which that were unfit for human consumption. It figured. These two people must have spent many of their days as children playing in the forests of England, learning about the wildlife and plants.

She smiled, and took a few. The three companions feasted in the shadows, feeling joyful in the company of one another once again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that its taken so long. and that the chapter isnt too long, but ive been busy. And i know not many of you are actually reading this, but i just thought that i'd let you know anyway!

enjoy!

And comment? =]