Clash Of The Rockbands

First Date

“Ay-May, are you sure about this?” I asked uncertainly as I spun in a slow circle in front of my floor-length mirror.

“Of course I’m sure about it,” AM snapped grumpily. “Now hold still and close your eyes so I can spray in some hairspray.”

I obeyed for fear of losing my eyesight. I heard a faint hissing noise and hairspray fumes filled my nostril.

“You are finished!” AM announced in a French accent. I slowly opened my eyes to see the finished product.

AM had somehow persuaded me to wear a strapless dark green dress made of some really soft material that was tight around my torso and then billowy from my hips down. It fell to about four inches above my knee. Dark brown leggings with a swirling design made of sequins running down the outside of both legs took over and went down to about two inches below my knee. I wore a pair of simple black heels on my feet.

“Simplistic but sexy?” I inquired as I smoothed out the front of the dress. AM nodded from where she stood beside me. I leaned forward to check out my makeup and hair.

They were simple. Just a dash of pale pink blush on my cheeks, some pale pink lip gloss, just a stroke of green eye-shadow to make my eyes pop and to match my dress, just a bit of mascara, and a thin layer of eyeliner. My brown hair that fell to a few inches below my shoulder was pulled halfway back with a little clip with a green bow on it. A thick green headband sat gently atop my head, settling behind my ears. The edges of it were already digging into the back of my ears.

“And here’s a clutch.” AM shoved a tiny brown clutch into my hand. “It has lip gloss, eyeliner, mascara, and your keys in it. You’re set to go.” She suddenly smiled, patting my bare shoulder. “If this doesn’t make his breath catch, he’s either gay or really picky.”

“He’s not gay.” I instantly defended, leading the way out of the closet.

“He might just have a good cover-up.” AM continued as she closed the closet door behind her. I shot a quick glare her way.

“Sorry, Jimmy, but her bowels aren’t working right tonight. She won’t be able to—” I heard Jen’s voice float up the staircase through my slightly-ajar door.

“JEN!” I shrieked.

“Damn.” I heard Jen mutter. “MEL!” She screamed unnecessarily. “JIMMY’S HERE!”

“LIKE I DIDN’T ALREADY KNOW!” I screamed back as I dashed out onto the landing. I tugged on the hem of my dress as I scurried over to the stairs. “Oh, hello James.” I said casually as I descended as gracefully down the stairs as I could.

“’Sup?” he responded.

“Nothin’ but the ceiling,” I answered instantly. I walked up to them. Jen was glancing from James to me and then back to James.

“Melrose, some rules first!” Rayne shouted as she skidded into the parlor from the living room. She walked up to me calmly, her eyes scanning over my outfit. “GOOD WORK, AY-MAY!” she unexpectedly shrieked up the staircase.

“THANKS!” AM shouted back.

“Okay, now back to the rules.” Rayne snapped. “I want you back home by one. That is a perfectly manageable time. So no complaining about it. Also, I do not allow any tongue action on the first date.” She glared over at James. “That goes for you too. Making out leads to temptation, and I don’t want my sweet little girl exposed to that.”

“Fine by me.” James answered seriously.

“Better be,” Rayne snapped. She looked back at me. “Third, no sex on the first date.”

“Rayne!” I cried.

“No, just listen!” she snapped. “You don’t need that! Save yourself for marriage! For that one special someone that you’ll spend your whole life with. Just don’t do it, okay?”

“I’m not fifteen anymore!” I replied.

“Just promise me!”

“I promise.” I said. Rayne held out her pinky.

“Pinky promise?”

“Pinky promise.” We hooked pinkies for a few seconds.

Then, I grabbed James’s arm and tugged him out of the parlor and back onto the front step.

“Bye, Jen.” I said. “Bye, Rayne.” They both said good-bye before I closed the door.

Still feeling slightly flustered, I led the way down the sidewalk. James followed me, slightly amused.

“Is that a ritual?” he asked, glancing over his shoulder at the closed front door.

“Ugh,” I groaned in reply.

“I’m guessing so.”

“Yeah. She’s practicing for parenthood.” I told him. “This your car, or did some asshole just decide to park his car in our driveway?” I patted the hood of a sporty-looking black Camaro with white racing stripes splashed across the hood. It looked like a darker version of Bumblebee from the new Transformers movie [That movie is total awesomeness, by the way. You should totally watch it].

“Gosh!” James exclaimed. He slammed his hand down on the hood of the car and glared over at the street brightly lit by streetlights. “Damn disrespectful swine! Parking in my girlfriend’s driveway! Damn you!”

I quickly slapped a hand over my mouth to stifle the giggles. Why had I fallen deeply in love with the most random dude in the flipping universe? Out of the four billion dudes on Earth, and possibly a few aliens beyond our safe little atmospheric bubble, I had to fall in love with the random, totally psychotic one.

But he made me laugh. So it wasn’t all bad.

Actually, it wasn’t bad AT ALL. All perfectly okay.

But now I’m trailing away from the story.

“Damn!” James swore again. “Good God!” He dug his keys out of his pocket. “Oh, wait, it is mine.” He turned toward the street again and raised his hands, palms out, in a gesture of peace.

Towards the street.

“Sorry! My bad! Totally spaced!”

“You’re a dork.” I commented, walking around the front of the Camaro. I noticed that the license plate said ‘PLAGUE’ on it. James sighed as he opened the driver side door.

“And I try to hide it so well.” he said as I opened the passenger side door. We both climbed into the car at the same time.

“Stupid skirt,” I complained, tugging on the hem as it threatened to slide up and reveal parts of me I’d rather not flaunt as I climbed into the car. James glanced over as he turned the Camaro on.

“I don’t mind it.” he mumbled seconds before music blared out of the stereos.

Oh, how sweet. It was The Better Halves music. I wonder if he planned it.

“God, this music sucks.” I half-yelled over the music. I reached over and turned the volume dial to the left, toning down the music. James shrugged.

“I only listen to it because the drummer’s hot.” James told me as he reversed out of the driveway.

“I think she would prefer ‘beautiful’.” I suggested.

“Sexy?” James inquired.

“Umm...” I said thoughtfully. “Yeah, sexy would work too.”

“Thanks for the advice.”

“No problem.” After a few moments of silence, I asked, “So, where are we going?”

“Thought I’d keep it simple,” James began. “Just a movie.”

“Any specific movie?”

“Nope. We didn’t think that far ahead.”

“’We’?” I repeated.

“The guys and I.”

“You asked them for dating advice?” I asked incredulously.

“Uh, totally,” James answered in a girlish ‘duh’ voice. “We ask each other for advice all the time. We talk about new hairstyles constantly, and also how thick the eyeliner should be because we don’t want to look completely Goth or anything and also nail polish too because sometimes we don’t want to go with the usual black, but sometimes silver and grayish.” He said all that very fast, still talking like a prissy bitch.

That time I couldn’t hold in my giggle.

“But anyway,” James continued on, his voice back to normal. “I asked them for advice because I really had no clue what to do. And Zacky and Syn are both such lady’s men that I figured they would know what to do. So we all decided that it would best to keep the first date simple, nothing too elaborate. I wanted to skydive, but they quickly quelled that idea. Not sure why.”

“Oh, I’ve always wanted to skydive!” I exclaimed. “But that is a little extreme for the first date.”

“Yeah, it would be my luck that your parachute wouldn’t work and all I’d see would be you crumpling as you hit the ground at some-hundred miles per hour. No, not a pleasant date at all.”

“Have you ever been skydiving?” I asked.

“Nope.”

“It’s on my list of things to do before I die.”

“You have one of those?” James asked as he pulled into a parking spot at the humongous movie theater.

“Oh, totally, it’s hanging on the back of my door.” I answered truthfully.

“What else is on there?” James asked curiously as he cut the ignition of his car and shoved open the driver’s side door. I quickly followed suit, and climbed out of the car.

“Oh, the usual,” I answered simply. “Go to the Eiffel Tower, get married, go on vacation in Scotland, see a Colts game, get famous...Oh, wait, I’ve already done that one.” I smirked as James and I met behind the Camaro. He linked his fingers with mine as we walked towards the enormous movie theater.

“Egocentric bitch,” James muttered beneath his breath. I gasped and punched his shoulder as hard as I could. “I was kidding! You are the least egocentric person I have ever met in my whole life! All you girls are.”

“We’re not too famous.” I told him. “We like to keep things real.” James raised his eyebrows at me.

“’Not too famous’?” he repeated. I nodded. “No, you are way famous. Trust me.”

We stepped into the front parlor area of the theater. Well-kept red carpet cushioned our footsteps, and posters from movies new and old adorned the golden walls. At the far end of the room sat a long counter behind which a few people stood. One had a long roll of tickets sitting in front of her. Another stood behind the popcorn machine, silently scooping popcorn into cardboard containers. A third person stood behind the register, accepting the money and getting drinks and stuff like that.

James and I stepped into line behind a group of gabbing girls.

“Oh my God, did you see Stephanie’s outfit today? Talk about horrendous to the tenth degree,” one of the girls squealed. ‘Horrendous to the tenth degree’? I had never heard that one before. I quickly sealed it away within my mind for later use.

One of the girls kind of glanced back over her shoulder. It was just a casual glance, something that you do when you’re bored or whatever. Everyone does it, and if you don’t then you either have amazing self control or you can’t turn your head.

But this girl did a double-take when she saw us. Her bright green eyes widened as she quickly turned back to the three other girls. She leaned towards the one beside her and whispered frantically in her ear. I caught ‘famous’ and ‘bands’.

We stepped forward in line a foot or so.

The girl that she whispered to must’ve been a brave little sucker because she just full-out turned around.

“Um...hi?” I said uncertainly.

“OH MY GOD!” the girl shrieked, barely trying to restrain herself. “This is, like, wow!”

Her shriek caused the three other girls to bravely turn around too. I half-expected them to suddenly start jumping up and down and squealing like little girls when they get a pony for their birthday.

“Uhh...” I glanced over at James. He just stood there with a calm look on his face.

“You’re from The Better Halves, right?” one of them asked, pointing at me. I nodded, still a little unsure of what to do. This didn’t happen very often.

“And he’s The Rev!” another one of them exclaimed excitedly, pointing at James.

Suddenly, pretty much out of nowhere, the girls produced pen and paper. What the hiz-zell? What kind of girl carries a pen and paper around with her wherever she goes? I hate carrying my purse around, let alone pen and paper.

Guess these girls were fan-girls to the extreme. Extreme to the tenth degree?

As long as they didn’t ask James to sign their chests, I was okey-dokey with it. But no, the girls just eagerly thrust four pieces of paper and two pens in our direction, positively beaming. I glanced sideways at James again; he still had that calm expression on his face. I looked back at the girls with a polite smile and accepted the papers and pens, handing one off to James.

“Okay, that was strange.” I muttered a few minutes later as we headed towards the part of the theater that was showing ‘Shutter’.

“You’ve never been asked for your autograph?” James asked. I shook my head no. “That’s strange. Not to sound conceited or anything, but people are always asking for our autographs. It gets really annoying.”

“I bet it does. I was annoyed just then.” I replied. We turned into the room just as the lights went off for the previews.


*****After the Movie*****

“You’re such a brave little girl.” James commented as we stood beside his car back at my house. He stood with his back to it, leaning against the car. We were holding hands. “You didn’t scream or cry or whine once during that movie.”

“Horror doesn’t scare me.” I told him. He raised an eyebrow at me. “No, really, it doesn’t. I don’t know why, it just doesn’t affect me.”

“Damn it,” James swore. “I guess that means no inconspicuous cuddling.”

“I guess so.” I agreed. “We’ll just have to make up for it--” I stepped closer to him, releasing his hands and wrapping my arms around his waist. “—with an uberly awesome kiss.” I looked up at him. The lights shining down from the streetlight ten feet behind James threw his face into immense shadows so that I couldn’t see his expression. I imagined there was a smirk on his lips, a bit of a little twinkle in his eyes. Possibly even a raised eyebrow or two.

James wrapped his arms around me, shifting his gaze thoughtfully towards the sky, which was still void of stars.

“I guess so.” he answered, looking back down at me.

Simultaneously, we pulled together and pressed our lips together. I pressed my body closer to his, feeling golden fire sear through my lips. We swayed on the spot a little bit. It totally felt like in the movies. You know, after a first date when the people share an amazing good-night kiss that they feel for the rest of the night. But relationships in those sort of movies don’t seem to last. So no, I’m not comparing it to Hollywood. Nope.

After a little while, we pulled apart. I still couldn’t see James’s face. I bet his smirk was wider though, his eyes a lot shinier. He could probably see my face though, and the thin splash of pink blazing across my cheeks. I smiled at him, and then reluctantly pulled away.

“Well, good night,” I said, taking a slow step back.

“Good night,” James replied. I shot him one last smile, and then turned and headed into the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyloo.
You should all be kissing Cyren's Vengeance's ass right now. Honestly. She's the only reason I updated for you all. KISS HER FEET, NOW, DAMMIT!
Thanksies, Cyren's Vengeance. You truly are amazing.
But c'mon. Comment me. Someone other than Cyren's Vengeance. Honestly.
Ooohhhh! I almost forgot. Sometimes, I might have James's eye color as brown, when they're really blue. Just ignore the brown and stick blue in instead. But if you see me describing his eyes as brown, let me know, and I'll fix it, I promise. It's a long story. I used to think James's eyes were brown. But they're blue. And I know that now. But yeah. Let me know.