Clash Of The Rockbands

First Day As 'The New Girl'

Daphne’s POV

“You’ll make loads of friends, don’t worry.” Rayne reassured me as she plopped a plate of pancakes down in front of me. “Maybe even a boyfriend,” she added with a wink. I grinned weakly at her before seizing the bottle of syrup and dousing my pancakes with it.

“But he better be sensible.” Melrose said from where she sat across from me at the kitchen table. “I don’t want you dating any bad-boy types.”

“You are in no position to be lecturing me about dating guys. Your boyfriend is totally creepy, and I’d have to work pretty hard to get someone worse than him.” I retorted.

“Well, you can’t think that Syn is creepy.” Rayne said from the stove, where she stood making more pancakes. “He’s just gorgeous.”

“Nah, they’re all creepy.” I replied simply. “They’re all, like, muscular and covered in creepy tattoos and the overall effect is sorta scary.” I gave a tiny shudder at the thought of them. I couldn’t believe that Melrose would date someone like James. He didn’t seem her type.

“Zacky’s just a-a-adorable.” AM announced around a yawn as she stepped into the kitchen, stretching her arms above her head. “He isn’t creepy at all.”

“Speak for yourself,” I muttered, putting a piece of pancake soggy with syrup in my mouth.


**********

“Have a good day at school.” Melrose said as she gave me a quick hug. “Be good; don’t get in trouble.” She handed me the keys of her white Monte Carlo. “Treat my baby with respect.” she told me seriously. I had, of course, left my car back in Indiana. I nodded, curling my fingers around the key on one lone keychain. Melrose patted my shoulder before stepping back to allow me to walk out into the garage.

I slid into the black leather interior of Melrose’s car. I turned the ignition on and pressed the button on the garage door’s remote that would make it slide open. Once it had, I backed out of the garage, closed the door once again, and pulled out onto the street. I accelerated towards the fresh hell called Huntington Beach High School.

A few minutes later, I pulled into the school’s parking lot. After parking the car in an empty spot, I turned it off and dropped the key into my purse. I grabbed my purse as well as my pale blue messenger bag and climbed out of the car.

I walked through the front doors of the school. I instantly headed towards my locker as large groups of friends passed by me, talking. I felt suddenly lonely, like an outcast with zero friends. I missed my old friends in Indiana already.

I twiddled the turning thingamabob on my locker to my combination. It mercifully opened quite easily, and I deposited my stuff quickly into my locker, keeping out a pencil, folder, and notebook. Then, I set out in search of my classroom.


**********

“So, new girl, huh?” a girl I recognized from my English class asked as she slid into the seat opposite me at lunch. I nodded, opening my milk carton and taking a sip. “My name’s Suzanne. Everyone calls me Suzy though. What’s your name?”

“Daphne,” I answered.

“Oh, you’re in my English class, aren’t you?” Suzy asked. I nodded. “Daphne Carlyle, right?” I nodded again. “Are you related to Melrose Carlyle, from The Better Halves?”

“Yeah, she’s my sister.” I answered. Suzy raised one eyebrow a fraction of an inch.

“So, why are you new?” she asked, taking a bite of her chicken patty sandwich. “Why did you move?”

“Parents died,” I answered simply.

“I’m sorry.” Suzy told me.

“Don’t be,” I replied. “It’s not like you killed them.”

“I’m just being courteous.”

“I know.”

“So, I suppose since Melrose is your sister, you know all the other members of that band as well?”

“Yeah,” I answered with a nod. “They’re all awesome.”

“I’m a big fan.” Suzy informed me, prodding at her green beans. “Do these look like rubber to you?” She jabbed at one of the green beans with her fork. I nodded. “I think so too.”

“School food is the leading cause of teenage deaths.” an unfamiliar girl said as she sat down with a tray beside Suzy. “Hi, I’m Tori.” she hurled at me.

“Daphne,” I replied, prodding at my pineapple tidbits.

“No, I’m pretty sure it’s Tori.” Tori replied seriously. When I just stared at her, she laughed. “I’m kidding. I get your point. You’re Daphne; I’m Tori. I got it. Oh, and Suzy, I need help on my math homework. Math is a bitch, you know.” Tori shot at me. I nodded in agreement, unsure of how to react to her. She seemed to just be spewing out random thoughts. But I suppose I should be used to that, what with living with The Better Halves.

“What’s happening, bitches?” a guy walked up and plopped down beside me. “Hey, babe.” He winked at me.

“Um...I’m not your ‘babe’.” I said, putting ‘babe’ in air-quotes.

“Yeah, well, you will be.” he told me. I thought him rather cocky, and didn’t really like him one bit. “I’m Eli, by the way.”

“I’m Daphne.” I said. I took an experimental bite of my chicken patty sandwich. It actually didn’t taste that bad.

“Oh, you know you want to fuck me.” Eli said when Suzy and Tori both scowled at him. Clearly, they didn’t like him much either.

“No, I don’t.” they both snapped simultaneously.

“Bastard,” Suzy muttered beneath her breath.

“I agree.” I announced. She grinned at me, and Tori did as well.

Sweet! I made two friends, already.


**********

Melrose’s POV


“So, how was your first day of school?” I asked Daphne the instant she stepped in the front door.

“Better than I thought it would be,” she answered, handing me the key to my Monte Carlo.

“Did you make any friends?” I asked.

“Yeah,” Daphne answered with a nod. “Suzy is really nice, and she’s a big fan of the band.”

“Who isn’t?” I joked. Daphne shrugged with a small grin. “But, please, continue.”

“And Tori is...Well, Tori’s extremely random.”

“Nothing new, right?”

“No.”

“Okay, who else?”

“A dude called me ‘babe’. I’m not his friend, though. He’s too cocky and self-assured. Tori and Suzy don’t like him much either.”

“Name? I’ll send James to kick his ass.”

“Eli,” Daphne answered.

“Damn,” I snapped. “I’m sure there’s more than one Eli in Huntington Beach. But oh well. If he gives you a hard time, you know, if he tries to feel you up or something, I give you permission to threaten him with a furious Kim or any member of Avenged Sevenfold.” Daphne chuckled.

“A furious Kim, that’s a scary one.” she commented. I nodded. “And I’m sure any of your guys’ boyfriends would do the trick too, but I think I’ll just stick to the furious Kim route.”

“Alright,” I replied. “So, did you get any homework?”

At that, Daphne scowled.

“Hell yes,” she grumbled. “In practically every subject. I can’t wait until June, when I’ll be out of high school.”

“Enjoy it while it lasts, Daphne.” I told her seriously. “When you get out of high school, you have to start working and making your own way in the world. You’ll miss high school, don’t worry.”

Daphne just shrugged before heading up the stairs into her bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyloo.
Comments?