Clash Of The Rockbands

It's A REAL Word!

Melrose’s POV

“Awesomeness is a real word!” Daphne insisted indignantly.

“No, it’s not!” Syn insisted right back. “It’s completely made up!”

“No, it isn’t! It’s a real, real, REAL word!” Daphne snapped. “Look it up in the dictionary!”

“Rayne, go retrieve a dictionary,” Syn demanded, looking over at Rayne. She put down her fork and rose to her feet, heading upstairs to grab a dictionary.

All five of us girls, all of our boyfriends (and fiancé), and Daphne all sat at the dining room table, eating supper. It was Saturday night a few weeks after Daphne’s attempted suicide, and we had just randomly decided to have supper together. Daphne actually got along well with Matt, Syn, Zacky, Johnny, and James now, despite her previous opinions. She had obviously decided that they weren’t as creepy as she thought.

Emotionally, Daphne was doing so much better. She smiled quite a lot nowadays. She ate normally again. The scars on her wrists still shone out bright pink against her skin, but even they would wear away. She would continue to visit Dr. Mason until she went back to Indiana, and I told her that if ever she started feeling depressed again, she could call me or Dr. Mason, or even a local psychiatrist in Indiana.

Her suicide attempt seemed to have snapped everything back in perspective for her. She seemed grateful for life now that she had almost lost it, and I knew she was happy with her life as well. And now, here she was, arguing with Syn over whether “awesomeness” was a real word or not.

Rayne reappeared with a dictionary in her hand. Syn took it from her and flipped to the A section. He kept turning until he came to the word “awesome”.

“One: inspiring awe,” Syn began. “Two: showing awe; three: slang: very impressive; awesomely, adverb...” He fell silent, staring at the page.

“Is it on there?” Rayne asked.

“Awesomeness,” Syn continued slowly, “noun.”

“HA!” Daphne exclaimed triumphantly. “HA! Awesomeness IS a word, Syn! I was right; you were wrong!”

Syn closed the dictionary with a snap, pushing it away from him. Daphne clapped her hands gleefully. Syn just looked defeated. He clearly couldn’t believe that a seventeen-year-old had known more than him.

“Oh, it’s okay, Bri,” Rayne soothed, rubbing his back. “Now you know, right?”
“Yeah...” Syn said reluctantly. “I guess so.”


**********

“I don’t want you to go.” I told James as we kissed and hugged each other good bye. James sighed lightly, rubbing his hand up and down my back.

“You could come and stay at my house tonight.” he suggested.

“I don’t want to leave Daphne.” I replied instantly.

“You’ve never stayed at my house.”

“I know, but I will. When Daphne leaves.”

“And when will that be?”

“Late July.”

“That’s in three months! That’ll be forever!” James exclaimed.

“I know, but I can’t just leave her.”

“You don’t trust us?” Jen asked, walking over to James and I. She pouted slightly at me as I heard Matt drive away. “You don’t trust us with your sister? We wouldn’t let anything happen to her.”

“Really,” AM agreed as she walked up after Zacky climbed into his car. “And she’s doing so much better. There’s really nothing to worry about.”

“So go ahead and sleep over at your boyfriend’s.” Rayne finished, stepping up. I swear, sometimes we can read each other’s minds, because this seemed so planned out, but I knew it wasn’t because James had just suggested it. “We know you want to.”

“Yes, of course I want to.” I answered. “But I have a responsibility, and I can’t just push Daphne to the side.”

“We’ll ask her then.” Rayne announced. She strode over to the front door, pulled it open, and called up the staircase: “DAPHNE!”

“WHAT?” I heard Daphne yell back.

“WOULD YOU CARE IF MEL SPENT THE NIGHT AT JIMMY’S?”

“AS LONG AS I DON’T HEAR EXPLICIT DESCRIPTIONS OF THEIR ESCAPADES!” Daphne answered. James laughed lightly as Rayne closed the door again.

“See?” she told me smugly, flouncing back over. “Daphne doesn’t mind, as long as she doesn’t hear about what you two do.”

“What happens in the bedroom, stays in the bedroom.” James said solemnly.

“You make it sound like we’re going to do something.” I muttered. James gasped.

“We’re not?” he asked. I laughed and shook my head. “Why not?”

“Because unlike you, I still think straight when I’m sober.” I answered. James just looked confused. “You can’t talk me into having sex with you because I still have my brains when I’m sober.” I rephrased my answer so that he could understand.

“Damn,” he said, snapping his fingers.

“Yeah...Still want me to spend the night?” I replied. James nodded.

“Pchah, yeah, duh,” he answered. “So, go on.” He shooed me towards the front door. “Pack your stuff ASAP, then we’re going.”


**********

“The lock’s gone a little wonky.” James explained as Syn jimmied the key in the lock. “It doesn’t like unlocking, and it doesn’t like allowing us entrance into our own house.” Syn shoved his shoulder against the door, and it popped open.

“Why don’t you just replace it?” I asked as we stepped into the house. We appeared to be in a living room.

“Umm...” Syn answered, looking thoughtful. “You know, that’s a good question.”

I laughed, looking around the living room. Their house definitely wasn’t at the same level of grandeur as our house was. It looked pretty simple, roomy, comfortable, very homey. I liked it. The living room carpet was a deep sandy color; the walls were painted burgundy. The loveseat and armchair matched the color of the walls perfectly.

“So, what do you think?” James asked, noticing me scrutinizing the room.

“It’s simple, but I like it.” I answered. “Definitely on a lower grandeur level than my house is.”

“Yeah, a palace has less grandeur than your house does.” Syn commented.

“We’re chicks,” I replied by way of explanation. He just shrugged before cutting through the living room and stepping into a hardwood hall.

“I’ll show you around.” James told me. “Since Syn isn’t being VERY HOSPITABLE!” He yelled the last words just loud enough for Syn to hear. Syn’s arm reappeared, flipping James the bird, before disappearing again. I laughed as James led the way around the furniture of the living room.

“I take it there’s never a completely boring moment in this house?” I asked as we stepped onto the red-tinted hardwood floor of the hallway. The walls in the hallway matched the color of the carpet in the living room.

“Very rarely,” James answered. He walked down the hallway, pointing at the doorways as he went and telling me what room they were. “There’s the kitchen. That’s a bathroom. There’s a closet. There’s the dining room.” The end of the hallway opened up into a dining room with dark brown carpet and tan walls. James turned right, still in the hallway, and started climbing up the spiraling staircase.

“I love spiraling staircases.” I informed him as I started to climb up it as well. The staircase itself was made of metal painted black, and clattered slightly as our feet hit it. “They’re so awesome.”

“I like them too, but they aren’t so fun when you’re drunk.” James answered as he stepped up onto a landing. Three doors led off of it. It sort of reminded me of my parents’—now Daphne’s—house. “They seem endless dizziness-causers when you’re drunk.”

“Personal experience?” I asked as James walked over to a door.

“Yeah, about ten of them,” he answered. “Okay, there’s the bathroom. There’s Syn’s room, and here’s my room.” He pointed at one door, then at the other door, and then motioned at the door he stood next to. I walked over.

“Is it a horrible mess?” I asked. “Will I be appalled and surprised at the extent of non-cleanliness in your room?”

“Nah,” James answered, turning the doorknob and pushing the door open. “It’s actually pretty clean. I don’t spend much time in here.” He motioned into the room, and I stepped carefully through the doorway.

The deep black carpet cushioned my footfalls, and the incarnadine walls looked as though blood had been splattered across them instead of paint. A huge king-sized bed sat against the wall. Black end tables sat on either side of the bed, each bearing a lamp. And, surprisingly, the floor was empty of any clothes or trash.

“It’s definitely rockstar-ish,” I commented, looking around as I walked forward and put my duffel bag down.

“But you like it?”

“Yep, I do.” I answered. “So...” I don’t know why, but I suddenly felt so...awkward. I’d been awkward before we started dating, and then it went away as I got used to him, and then suddenly it just came back. I blame it on the fact that I was in his bedroom, completely out of my own house. I didn’t really know what to do exactly.

I turned around to find James standing inches from me. My nose was practically bumping against his chest. I tilted my head back to see him smirking at me.

“Hi.” I peeped, wiggling my fingers at him.

“Hello.” He still smirked. What is with guys and smirking? Girls rarely smirk. Well, only when they have some devious and evil plan up their sleeve. But men always smirk. Always. They rarely smile when in the presence of one female. It’s always smirking.

But, in case I’ve never told you this, James’s smirk was pretty sexy. I’m not even sure why I was complaining about it.

James dove down for a quick kiss. But then that ‘quick kiss’ morphed to a long kiss. I rose up on my tiptoes so James wouldn’t have to stoop down so much and wound my arms around his neck. His arms coiled around my waist, pulling me against him.

We pulled away after what seemed like an eternity. We smirked at each other as I dropped back onto my heels and we both unraveled our arms from around each other.

“Let’s go watch TV!” James exclaimed randomly. He seized my hand and pulled me out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys are lucky I'm bored. Or I wouldn't have posted it. -_-
Comments, please? I'm, like, begging right now.