Clash Of The Rockbands

Wedding Time!

Melrose’s POV

“I think I’m going to faint.” Kim murmured weakly. She sank down into a chair, the skirt of her dress rustling as she moved. She propped her elbows on her knees, pressing her palms hard against her eyes. Rayne instantly crouched down next to her, rubbing her back soothingly.

“Kim, the awesome bassist of The Better Halves, fainting?” AM asked from where she sat arranging the bride’s flowers, a large bouquet of purple tulips and white roses.

Kim just gave a low groan in reply.

“Oh, c’mon, honey,” Rayne said. “You’ll be fine. And, if you faint, just know that Johnny will knock his own grandmother down to catch you before you hit the ground.” I saw Kim’s smile through her scrawny arms. “You’re getting married to the perfect guy for you today, dear. You can handle this.”

“I hope.” Kim replied quietly. “For Johnny’s grandmother’s sake.”

“I think they’re ready for us.” Matt announced as he poked his head into the room. He looked...strange in a tuxedo and dark purple tie. Yes, dark purple tie. Johnny’s and Kim’s wedding colors were black and dark purple. The bridesmaids’ dresses had halter tops and flowed down to our knees. They were mainly the color of a plum, except for the black polka dots dotted across the dresses.

Matt’s eyes lingered on Jen for a second longer before his head retracted out of the room and he closed the door. Rayne straightened up next to Kim, helping her to her feet by an elbow. Kim straightened up to her full height, taking a deep breath as she did so. She released the breath, letting her body relax.

“Right,” she said. AM handed her the bouquet of flowers. “Let’s do this shit.”

“That’s what I like to hear!” Rayne said eagerly. Kim took a deep breath before leading the way out of the room.

We walked down a short hallway, at the end of which stood Kim’s father, Greg. He smiled as she walked up.

“You look beautiful.” he told her, giving her a quick hug. Kim smiled back, but I saw her fingers clench tighter around the bouquet. Greg opened the door behind him, allowing bright rays of sunshine to shine on us. The six of us stepped out onto the sidewalk.

Kim and Johnny were having their wedding in a beautiful little garden towards the edge of town. A nearby restaurant owned the garden and the owner allowed them to have their wedding there, being a big Avenged fan and all. Flowers framed the walkway that led across the bright green grass to where the wedding attendees sat, a fidgeting Johnny stood, and a calm pastor looked down at his Bible. A large, white wooden arch rose up behind where the priest and Johnny stood, decked out in fake purple flowers.

Syn, Zacky, James, and Matt all walked up to us. James was already tugging uncomfortably at the collar of his tuxedo. The ten of us quickly arranged ourselves in a line, in the appropriate order, with Rayne and Syn being in the very front and Kim standing in the back, elbows locked with her father’s. Everyone linked elbows with the person next to them. I could hear Greg murmuring to Kim, but I couldn’t quite catch what he was saying. Probably telling her how proud he is of her and how happy and all that stuff.

“You clean up nice.” Rayne informed Syn, brushing away some lint on the chest of his tuxedo jacket. “Maybe you should wear a tux more often.”

“I will wear a tux more often when Hell freezes over.” Syn replied pleasantly, his tone exactly opposite of his words. “Maybe you should wear a dress like that more often.”

“Well, when Hell freezes over, we’ll just be a couple of formal people, now won’t we?” Rayne replied.

“Will you stop fidgeting with that?” I asked James, grabbing his wrist and pulling it down so he couldn’t tug at his collar anymore.

“It’s uncomfortable.” he replied, reaching up to tug at it again.

“No amount of tugging at it will change that.” I told him logically. He lowered his hand slowly, clearly using all self-restraint to not tug at it more.

“And I think this tie is a little tight.” he informed me. “If I pass out, don’t be shocked. It was because the tie was too tight. We had it coming.”

“You won’t pass out.” I told him.

“Says you,” he replied.

The sound of music beginning to play interrupted our conversation. I saw Rayne’s shoulders rise and fall as she took a deep breath before her and Syn started forward. They turned right and walked down the white cloth rolled out across the grass. Zacky and AM followed soon after. Then, it was James’s and mine’s turn.

“Ready?” he muttered out of the corner of his mouth.

“As I’ll ever be,” I replied. We started forward, turned right, and headed down the cloth walkway.

Johnny and Kim wanted their wedding to be relatively small. They appeared to have gotten that wish. There could’ve been only forty or fifty people there. Everyone sat twisted around in their white steel seats, watching as the wedding party came down the aisle. I recognized many of the faces watching us intently.

We stepped up onto the small podium that the wedding party and the pastor would stand on. James dropped a quick peck on my cheek before we pulled apart and separated to the opposite ends of the podium. Matt and Jen soon followed after us. They separated as well, and the music stopped once they reached their spots. Quiet anticipation filled the garden. I saw a pair of butterflies flittering around, chasing and bumping into one another. Poor Johnny looked like he was about to fidget out of his clothes.

Finally, the bridal music began to play. Simultaneously, everyone turned to watch the end of the walkway beneath the arch that was an exact replica of the one behind us. Finally, after a few moments, Kim and her father stepped into view. I glanced over at Johnny to see his face light up as his eyes fell upon Kim.

She looked gorgeous, as every bride should on her wedding day. Her fluorescent white dress complimented her dark skin tone perfectly. The dress flowed down to her feet. It was pretty simple: spaghetti strap with only one layer of satiny cloth; a thick purple ribbon tied around her bust with a large, off-center bow attached to it. A simple necklace of plum-colored beads hung around her neck. She wore her hair down, letting it explode prettily from her head with each sliver of hair in a zigzag pattern. Her hair just naturally looked like it was crimped. A simple lace veil trailed down her back, stopping just above her tailbone.

Kim and Greg reached the podium. Greg leaned over and kissed her quickly on the cheek before slipping his elbow from hers. He walked over and sat next to Clarissa, her mother, who instantly seized his hand. Kim stepped up onto the podium and stepped up beside Johnny. She handed Rayne her bouquet with a nervous smile before turning and facing Johnny.

Call me a bad friend, but I just sort of zoned out after that. Weddings are always the same thing anyway. They say the same things; they do the same rituals. It’s all the same. So, I just let my mind wander for a little while.

James really does clean up nice, I found myself thinking. My eyes scanned up and down his body, knowing that I would probably never see the man in a tuxedo again. I just soaked it in, engraving it in my memory for the rest of time. I wonder if he’s thinking the same thing about me. Our gazes locked onto each other. James reached up a hand to tug at his collar, and I narrowed my eyes dangerously at him. He quickly lowered his hand, shooting me a fleeting, sheepish grin.

My brain came back into focus when I saw Kim place her hand delicately in Johnny’s. With a nervous smirk, Johnny breathed on the ring before rubbing the diamonds against his tuxedo jacket. Kim laughed just as nervously. The pastor gave an approving nod, and Johnny began his vow.

“Kim, no amount of words and tricky phrases and heartfelt speeches could ever show how much I love you. But, being Johnny Christ, I’ll try my hardest to tell you how much I love you.” The wedding goers chuckled appreciatively. “You’re the ink to my pen. You’re the lightning to my thunder. You’re the wood to my fire. Without you, now that I know you and love you, I wouldn’t exist. I would evaporate into thin air if you weren’t here with me, right now. I loved you yesterday, I love you today, I will love you tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and for the rest of eternity: I’ll love you. And, if I’m lucky, you’ll love me back.”

Kim blinked back tears as the pastor began the official vow. You know, the one with “Till death do us part”. When Johnny finished that, he slipped the diamond ring onto Kim’s trembling finger with his own trembling hand. Their hands switched spots, and Kim hovered the silver wedding band near Johnny’s hand as she said her vow.

“Johnny Christ, I effing love you.” she began, her voice wavering slightly as she spoke. “Every time we kiss, I feel sparks and fireworks, and everything becomes rainbows and unicorns. When we hold hands, I can feel our electricity. Your hug warms me up better than any mug of hot chocolate. I’ll never stop loving you, never. You make me feel so alive and revitalized and happy. I’m selfish and won’t give that up easily. We’ll be the old couple walking in the park together every afternoon, hitting young punks with our canes and talking about the good old days. Through thick and thin, I’ll love you. I could tell you ‘I love you’ every second of the day for the rest of my life, and it would never amass to the feeling in my heart. You’re right. Words can’t describe how I feel about you. But I hope joining in this holy matrimony with you might help.”

Kim said her official vow before slipping the ring on Johnny’s finger. The pastor wrapped up the end of the ceremony, but I don’t think Kim or Johnny even heard him. They stood staring into each other’s eyes, their eyes twinkling like someone had stolen the stars and put them there.

“And you may now kiss the bride.” the pastor said. Johnny and Kim instantly pulled together. Their lips crashed together as everyone burst into applause. Both Rayne and Jen dabbed at the corner of their eyes at the tears beginning to leak out. “I now present to you Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Seward!”
♠ ♠ ♠
"You are the ink to my pen."

=} Aww! I love their vows. And I totally want to be that old lady in the park, hitting young people with my cane. I think it would be lots of fun. Those young whipper-snappers.

But, anywho.

Comments?