Clash Of The Rockbands

A Twisted Love Song

I rubbed my stomach, which had conveniently clenched into a tight, uncomfortable knot. My face beneath the thick makeup most definitely looked pale, but no one could tell because I had about three layers of foundation spread across my face. I ran a nervous hand through my hair, feeling the hairspray stain my fingers. I quickly wiped my hand off; hairspray never felt lovely on your hand. It would make my drumsticks stick to my palms.

James rubbed my back as I pressing my fingertips delicately against my temples. I hadn’t performed in a concert for months. And it was the first concert of a pretty large and anticipated tour. Screw this one up, and you’re done for. That’s a lot of pressure, especially for a gal who’s out of practice with performing.

“Pre-concert jitters?” James inquired, noticing my clenched eyes and my fingertips massaging my temples. I nodded silently, falling into the darkness beneath my eyelids.

“It’s time,” Jason announced. I heard his footsteps walking away. I opened my eyes and sat up to see James retract his hand from my back and rise to his feet.

“Good luck,” I said. He smiled at me and shot me the thumbs-up sign before following the others out of the dressing room of sorts.

The next forty-five minutes or so seemed to go by too fast. One second all the guys were leaving, the next second Jason was poking his head back into the room.

“Matt’s about to introduce you gals,” he said. We all rose to our feet silently, following him out of the dressing room. We walked down the hall, at the end of which were the stairs that led up to the stage. I could see Matt standing in the center of the stage, speaking to the crowd. We stepped up to the stairs, our hearts thumping in our throats. Hopefully Rayne’s would shift so she could sing.

“It’s time now for those lovely vixens, those wailing goddesses to come on stage. I know, I know. You hate to see my handsome face leave—” I heard Jen quickly stifle a laugh from in front of me. “—but I promise this won’t be the last that you’ll see me. And these gals are amazing. So, please welcome—warmly, I hope—The Better Halves!”

The five of us took a deep breath before climbing up the stairs and stepping gracefully out onto the stage. Jen, AM, and Kim walked to the edge of the stage and retrieved their guitars before replacing Syn, Zacky, and Johnny. I walked all the way to the back of the stage, climbed the stairs there, and walked over to the drum set. James’s hand collided with my ass as he passed by. I gave a small yelp and jumped, glaring reproachfully at the back of his head. He didn’t even turn around, not once.

I plopped down on the stool behind the drum set. I continued to glare at James until he disappeared down the hall. He slapped hard, and now I was concentrating more on my ass hurting than what was going on in front of me. I quickly snapped out of it, though, and looked down towards Rayne and the rest of the girls.

“He is such a suck-up.” Rayne informed the crowd. “But anywho. Let’s move on swiftly, then! Who wants to hear a bit of Seduction Masters?” The crowd erupted in cheers. “Seduction Masters it is.” And we began to play.


**********

At the end of our part of the concert, Rayne stepped back into the center of the stage. She paused, taking a breath from singing. Her eyes scanned the crowd.

“So...Wasn’t that just fucking awesome?” she asked the crowd. They erupted into cheers. “But there’s one more thing we got to do tonight. Guys, come back out, please.”

Matt, Syn, Zacky, Johnny, and James all filed back up onto the stage. Matt held a microphone; Syn, Zacky, and Johnny retrieved their guitars from the edge of the stage; James just walked casually up onto the podium my drum set sat on as his drum set was wheeled up beside mine. He sat down in the stool, glancing over at me. I looked over at him, and our eyes met. I pointed at my ass, and then silently flipped him off. He smirked before looking down towards everyone else.

“Right, I suppose some of you are familiar with our collaborated version of ‘Beast and the Harlot’, correct?” Rayne asked. “Well, we now have a collaborated version of the most twisted, awesomest, most amazing love song you’ve ever heard.”

“And you call me the suck-up,” Matt muttered.

“You all know ‘A Little Piece Of Heaven’, right?” Rayne asked. “Well, that’ll be our encore! But it’s different, better, because The Better Halves have contributed and added their brilliance.” She smirked over at Matt, who simply rolled his eyes.

“Just start the fucking song.” he said. Rayne laughed and nodded.

The lights went out as the beginning of the song began. I concentrated on the notes, trying my hardest to remember where every drum was in the pitch darkness. Lights behind James and I lit up, illuminating us a bit, but turning our eyes into hollow black holes. As Matt began to sing, all of the lights flashed dramatically on.

(Okay, you’ll need a key for this. The plain words are what Matt sings; the italic words are what Rayne sings; the bold words are what they sing together; and the bold and italic words are what various other band members may sing.)

Before the story begins, is it such a sin,
for me to take what's mine, until the end of time?
We were more than friends, before the story ends,
And I will take what's mine, create what
God would never design

Our love had been so strong for far too long,
I was weak with fear that
something would go wrong,
before the possibilities came true,
I took all possibility from you
Almost laughed myself to tears,
conjuring her deepest fears

Must have stabbed her fifty fucking times,
I can't believe it,
Ripped her heart out right before her eyes,
Eyes over easy, eat it, eat it, eat it


She was never this good in bed
even when she was sleepin'
now she's just so perfect I've
never been quite so fucking deep in
it goes on and on, and on,
I can keep you lookin' young and preserved forever,
with a fountain sprayed on your youth whenever

'Cause I really always knew that my little crime
would be cold that's why I got a heater for your thighs
and I know, I know it's not your time
but bye, bye
and a word to the wise when the fire dies
you think it's over but it's just begun
but baby don't cry

You had my heart, at least for the most part
'cause everybody's gotta die sometime, we fell apart
let's make a new start
'cause everybody's gotta die sometime yeah
but baby don't cry


Now Rayne took the center stage as Matt just sort of hovered around.

Now possibilities I'd never considered,
are occurring the likes of which I'd never heard,
Now an angry soul comes back from beyond the grave,
to repossess a body with which I'd misbehaved

Smiling right from ear to ear
Almost laughed herself to tears


Must have stabbed him fifty fucking times
I can't believe it
Ripped his heart out right before his eyes
Eyes over easy
Eat it, eat it, eat it


Now that it's done I realize the error of my ways
I must venture back to apologize from somewhere far beyond the grave

I gotta make up for what I've done
'Cause I was all up in a piece of heaven
while you burned in hell, no peace forever


Before the next part began, they both stepped back into the center, staring into each other’s eyes, like apologetic lovers.

'Cause I really always knew that my little crime
would be cold that's why I got a heater for your thighs
and I know, I know it's not your time
but bye, bye
and a word to the wise when the fire dies
you think it's over but it's just begun
but baby don't cry

You had my heart, at least for the most part
'Cause everybody's gotta die sometime, we fell apart
Let's make a new start
'Cause everybody's gotta die sometime yeah
But baby don't cry


Now, Rayne and Matt stepped apart from each other, standing five feet apart or so, still singing, now with earnest looks on their face. It played out a bit like a movie.

I will
what will you do?
suffer for so long
not long enough!

Rayne shook her head disbelievingly. As they sung each line, they inched towards each other. They only had eyes for each other, seeming to sink into the moment and away from the crowd. They’re pretty good actors, I must admit. Just think of how awkward this is for them: it’s like looking at and treating your brother like he was a lover. Yeah, awkward.

To make it up to you
I pray to God that you do
I'll do whatever you want me to do
Well then I'll break you unchained

Rayne and Matt stood close together now, and Rayne reached up towards his neck and tugged downward, almost like she was unlatching a chain around his neck.

And if it's not enough
If it's not enough, If it's not enough
If it's not enough
Not enough
Try again
Try again
And again
And again
Over and over again

By the end of that part, they were super close. Their bodies almost touched, and they stared deeply into each other’s eyes, looks of apology and forgiveness flashing across their face. Suddenly, as they growled out the next part, they turned their bodies toward the crowd, their eyes wide and evil. Their hands linked together, swinging back and forth a little bit.

We're coming back, coming back
We'll live forever, live forever
Let's have wedding, have a wedding
Let's start the killing, start the killing


As the instrumental part began, brought on by Matt and Rayne’s evil, triumphant laughter, they rushed towards opposite ends of the stage. Rayne slid a black lacy veil connected to a headband onto her head, dragging her bangs out from beneath it. Matt dragged off his jacket, revealing a black dress shirt complete with bow tie. Rayne seized a bouquet of black roses before they rushed back to center stage, linking hands again just in time for Zacky to begin.

Do you take this man in death for the rest of your unnatural life?

Rayne giggled darkly before answering sweetly.

Yes, I do.
Do you take this woman in death for the rest of your unnatural life?

Matt growled out his answer in a frightening snarl.

I do
I now pronounce you...

Matt’s and Rayne’s eyes softened from their maniacal, evil glares as they sang the last chorus of the song.

'Cause I really always knew that my little crime
would be cold that's why I got a heater for your thighs
and I know, I know it's not your time
but bye, bye
And a word to the wise when the fire dies
you think it's over but it's just begun
but baby don't cry

You had my heart, at least for the most part
'Cause everybody's gotta die sometime, we fell apart
Let's make a new start
'Cause everybody's gotta die sometime yeah
But baby don't cry


Once the song was over, they turned, hands still clasped, and bowed to the loud screaming of the fans. Then, they let their hands fall away from each other before wrapping the concert up.

“That was amazingly fun.” Rayne said. “I didn’t know I could act so well.”

“Yeah, it was definitely fun.” Matt agreed. “But what did you guys think?” The crowd screamed. “Yeah, that’s what I thought.” Rayne laughed.

“Well, it was amazing to play for you guys tonight, and I’m glad you took the time to make it out here!” she exclaimed. We all waved before rising to our feet and floating off the stage on a river of applause.
♠ ♠ ♠
A Little Piece Of Heaven.
Listen to it.
Fall in love with it, as I have.

Comments?