Clash Of The Rockbands

One Of The Lucky Ones

James’s POV

I’d nearly forgotten how beautiful Melrose was.

The golden sunshine streamed through the window, splashing right onto her. It turned her fair skin to shimmering gold and caused golden streaks in her hair. I couldn’t see much of her skin because whatever wasn’t covered by covers was obscured by her wavy hair. She lay on her stomach beside me, her arms up to her elbows shoved underneath her pillow. A thick lock of hair fell across her face, and it fluttered as she breathed out.

Gently, I reached over and tucked the lock of hair behind her ear. She stirred a little bit, but didn’t wake up. I propped my head against my palm and just watched her sleep: a luxury I hadn’t had for two years. Melrose looked so peaceful as she slept; I always hated waking her up.

“So, who’s the chick?” I looked over to see Syn standing in my doorway, leaning against the doorframe with his hands in his pockets. “And did you two have sex last night?”

Before I could answer, Melrose’s cell phone rang. Without even opening her eyes, she dragged an arm out from beneath her pillow and reached out towards the end table beside the bed. Her hand brushed over the cool wood, clearly searching for her phone. She scrunched her face up in confusion before opening her eyes.

At first, she looked alarmed to see me lying next to her. But then her alarm left her emerald eyes and she quickly turned over and leaned down over the edge of the bed. She seized her shorts and pulled her phone out of its back pocket—which was still miraculously ringing. Melrose appeared to not notice Syn as she flipped the phone open and answered in a grumpy voice.

“Bitch,” she greeted. She paused as the other person responded. “Yeah, I just called you a bitch.”

Another pause.

“Why!? You woke me up, that’s why.”

Another pause, a longer one.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

A short pause.

“James’s.”

A WAY short pause.

“Sullivan.”

I even heard the person’s scream. Melrose made a face and pulled the phone away from her ear. I could clearly hear Rayne screaming now.

“HE KIDNAPPED YOU, DIDN’T HE!? I KNOW HE DID! HE’S PROBABLY TELLING YOU WHAT TO SAY RIGHT NOW, ISN’T HE?” Rayne shrieked.

“No!” Melrose exclaimed, putting the phone cautiously back to her ear. “He didn’t kidnap me. We got back together, hun.”

Rayne’s scream was louder this time. Melrose scowled and pulled the phone away from her ear again.

“Oh my God, I interrupted sex, didn’t I?” Rayne moaned. Melrose chuckled as she put the phone closer to her ear.

“It’s too early in the morning for sex, dear,” Melrose said. “If we had sex, it would’ve been last night.”

She paused for a very short time.

“No, we didn’t.” She paused a little bit before saying, “Bye bye, Rayne.” and hanging up.

Melrose finally noticed Syn standing there. Her eyes widened, and she quickly dragged the covers against her chest. But he looked just as shocked as she did.

“I think I need more coffee,” Syn announced before turning and heading towards the stairs. Melrose sighed and rubbed her forehead, placing her phone on the end table.

“I should get dressed,” she mumbled, more to herself than to me. She released the covers and rolled out of bed, and I couldn’t help but stare.

Melrose dragged her black shorts on, leaving off the fishnets. She grabbed her shirt and slipped it back on. As she buttoned it back up, she turned around, only to find me staring at her.

“What are you staring at?” she asked, tilting her head to one side. She continued to button her shirt up, covering more and more skin with each button. “I know my bra matches my shirt, but that’s no reason to gawk at it.” I actually hadn’t noticed that her bra was zebra-print, just like her shirt.

“I’m staring at you,” I answered honestly. There really wasn’t any reason for me to say that I wasn’t staring at her, because I was. Why should I be ashamed of it or try to hide it anyway?

“Why?” she asked with a little laugh. She buttoned the last button of her shirt before folding the collar neatly down.

“Because you’re gorgeous,” I replied sincerely. Melrose instantly blushed and shot me an embarrassed smile. She sank down onto the edge of the bed, turning her flushed face away from me as she grabbed her Chuck’s and began to drag them on. I slid over to position myself beside her. Her hair hid her face as she tied up the shoelaces on her shoes, but I reached out and tucked her hair behind her ear.

Melrose looked over at me, pausing in tying her shoes. She grinned at me, her face paling back to its normal complexion.

“I love you,” I told her for the first time in two years. I stroked her cheek gently with my thumb. She smiled wider before leaning forward and kissing me gently on the nose.

“I love you too,” she cooed before going back to her shoes. I framed her face in my hands and pulled her lips against mine. She momentarily forgot about her shoe and curled her hand around the back of my neck. She smirked as we pulled away and then went back to tying her shoe.

“Ready?” I asked as she tied the shoelace into a neat bow. She looked at me and nodded. We stood up, and I led the way out of the room.

Syn sat at the kitchen table when we entered, drinking a cup of coffee. He looked up as we stepped in. As his eyes fell upon Melrose, they seemed to flash with faint anger. I guess he hadn’t forgotten all those times she kicked him in the back of the knee.

“Oh, it was funny, and you know it,” Melrose told him, sitting swiftly down in the seat across from him. She smiled, but Syn’s expression remained cold. “Don’t be that way! Sometimes you just need to laugh at yourself.”

“Now is not one of those times,” Syn answered in a voice just as cold as his expression. Melrose’s smile didn’t falter in the slightest.

“I apologize for kicking you in the back of the knee all those times...And throwing my shoe at your head...And slapping you that day you broke up with Rayne; I know that had to hurt,” she said, her smile still there but her voice sincere. She extended a hand. “No hard feelings?”

Syn’s eyes flickered from her hand to her face. Melrose just looked calmly at him, an easy smile adorning her lips. I hovered in the background, waiting to see what would happen.

“Sure,” Syn said. “No hard feelings.” He shook Melrose’s hand. “Besides, I got you back anyway.” He paused before continuing. “So, what happened last night?”

“Well,” Melrose began casually, “we met on the beach. We made up. We kissed, we hugged, he sang. Then, we went back to his car and had crazy sex in the backseat. You were right, by the way. He does like it kinky. I’m surprised I’m not limping, wincing, and bruised. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.”

Syn choked on his coffee. He coughed, looking at Melrose wide-eyed.

“Too much information!” he exclaimed. Melrose laughed.

“Nah, it didn’t go down that way,” she corrected. “We met on the beach. We made up. We kissed, we hugged, he sang. We got back here. We slept. We woke up. And this is where you find us.”

I walked over to the coffee machine and poured Melrose and I both a cup of coffee. She accepted the cup I offered her, putting a couple spoonfuls of sugar in it. She took a slow sip.

“Rayne will probably murder me if she finds out I told you, but she really misses you.” Melrose told Syn. “I can tell. She rarely says it out loud, but I can tell she really misses you.”

“I miss her too,” Syn admitted.

“You two should get back together!” Melrose told him excitedly. “Everyone else has gotten back together! I think it’s fate. I’m pretty sure you two are meant for each other.”

“I doubt she would take me back,” Syn replied. Melrose gasped.

“Of course she won’t take you back, if you have that mental attitude!” she cried. “And besides, she might be more willing than you think.”

Syn just sighed and shook his head.

“Don’t worry,” Melrose said brightly. “I’m sure you two will meet again.”

If only she knew how right she was.
♠ ♠ ♠
=}

I love Melrose's account of the night before. And Brian's reaction. haha.

Comments?