Clash Of The Rockbands

Option Three

Rayne’s POV

I stared up at the navy blue ceiling of my bedroom from where I lay sprawled across my bed. Outside my bedroom, I heard Melrose shriek before she laughed. Jimmy must have been tickling her or something. I heaved a sigh, my chest rising and falling dramatically. All my girls were happy again...except for me.

I played Brian’s apology over and over again in my head, just to hear his voice. I could see his face too, and his eyes, his sincere, sad eyes. It had been two days since he apologized, and I hadn’t thought of anything else since. I still hadn’t reached a decision, either. But I had decided I had three options.

Option one: Don’t forgive him at all.

Option two: Forgive him, but never start another relationship with him.

Option three: Forgive him, and start another relationship up with him.

I already decided against option one. I wanted to forgive the guy. His apology had been so heartfelt and sincere that I knew he felt horrible and ashamed of what he did. But my problem was between options two and three. Which one would make me happier?

I thought deeper about option two. I could just forgive him, and maybe become his friend again, but not let it escalate to girlfriend status. Then, I wouldn’t have to bother myself with his faithfulness. He’d find some other pretty girl, and we’d both move on with life.

And then there was option three. The option that appealed most to me, but could also just be a trap for more pain and suffering. I would forgive him, and hopefully things would go back to the way they were before: all kisses and hugs and love. You know, if it all went to plan. But if it didn’t work out that way, at least he’d be forgiven.

I sighed and rolled over, burying my face in my pillow. I hated making these sorts of decisions. The possibly life-altering ones. They always get me. But I knew I needed to come to some sort of decision.

Okay, let’s think this through again. Option two: just a friend. Did I want to be just friends with Brian, though? How could I be just his friend, when I knew what his kisses felt like? When I knew how warm his hugs were? When I knew how he made my heart pitter-patter when he got close?

Option three: girlfriend status. Wasn’t that what I wanted? Wasn’t that what I’d been waiting for over the past two years? Sure, he’d been a jerk, but I still loved that man. And now I loved him even more, because I knew he was ashamed of what he’d done.

I suddenly shot up into a sitting position, my hair flying everywhere as I did so. It was like I’d reached an epiphany or something. I took a moment to clap my hands excitedly before leaping off of my bed and bounding out of my bedroom. I had to share my good news with someone. I skipped down the stairs, turned 180 degrees, ran down the hall, and skidded into the living room. Jimmy and Melrose abruptly pulled away from each other, quickly acting like they totally hadn’t been making out.

I leaped into Melrose’s lap, which on any other occasion might feel awkward since she was sitting in Jimmy’s lap, but I didn’t care. I heard Jimmy grunt though as I landed heavily on Melrose’s lap. I ignored him, instead seizing Melrose’s face in my hands.

“Guess what!?” I exclaimed happily.

“What?” she said automatically.

“I came to a decision!” I informed her. “I know what I’m going to do about Brian now!”

“Good news, good news,” Melrose replied, nodding her head. I nodded gleefully back.

“I know! I’m going to celebrate with some ice cream!” I told her.

“Right-o,” she said. I bounded out of her lap and out of the room so that they could start making out again.


**********

A couple of days later, I rode with Melrose over to Brian’s and Jimmy’s house. My confidence from two days previously began to wear away as we neared their house. I tried to take deep breaths to calm myself down, but it wasn’t working that much. Melrose reached over and patted my knee in a sisterly way, shooting a bright smile my way. I attempted a smile back, but decided to just quit trying.

I began to worry. What if Brian wouldn’t want to be back with me? I couldn’t be positive that he loved me back. Maybe he just wanted to explain himself for some peace of mind. I would probably just forgive him, and then he would send me on my merry way without a second glance.

I voiced my concerns to Melrose, and she just scoffed.

“Rayne, stop worrying about it!” she exclaimed as we pulled onto their street. “What will be, will be. There’s no use worrying your head off about it.” She pulled into their driveway. “Now,” she turned and looked solemnly at me, “I want you to take deep breaths.” I inhaled and exhaled. “Clear your mind and relax.” I just gave her a look. “Okay, just relax then.” I continued to inhale and exhale and relax. A few minutes later, I felt better.

“I feel better,” I told Melrose. She beamed.

“See? Meditating helps. Now, come on. You have a man to get.” She climbed out of her Monte Carlo, and I quickly followed.

Upon entering the house, Melrose ran forward and vaulted over the back of the couch. She landed smoothly in Jimmy’s lap, shooting him an innocent smile.

“Heyloo,” she cooed.

“Hooloo,” Jimmy replied.

“Where’s Syn?” she asked.

“Since when did I get so popular?” Brian asked as he stepped into the living room. He looked a little shocked to see me there, but quickly wiped it off his face as he looked back at Melrose and Jimmy.

“We’ll leave you two alone,” Melrose said, aiming a wink my way. She clambered out of Jimmy’s lap, and they both brushed past Brian and into the hallway.

Brian and I just stood at opposite ends of the room, staring at each other. I fiddled with the hem of my shirt, attempting to gather my thoughts into a coherent sentence. I knew what I wanted to say; I just couldn’t figure out how to say it. I took a deep breath, deeply inhaling and slowly exhaling. It snapped my thoughts into place.

“You apologized, and I’m here to tell you that I’ve forgiven you.” I said, my mouth forming the words before I even realized that I was thinking them. Slowly, I extended a hand. “I solemnly forgive you, and hope that there are no hard feelings.”

Brian blinked a few times. I waited patiently, staring into his chocolate eyes. Then, slowly, he stepped around the furniture of the living room towards me. I watched him step slowly closer, and my heart began to thump violently against my ribcage as he drew nearer. My hand luckily didn’t waver and betray my thumping heart.

Brian stepped closer and closer. I could smell his cologne now. I breathed it in inconspicuously. He was close enough to shake my hand. I continued to stare into his eyes, waiting for the moment when I would feel his hand grasp mine. I couldn’t be sure of what I would do after we shook hands, but for now I was just winging it.

Brian reached out his hand. I felt my heart thump harder against my ribcage; I almost wanted to look down to make sure it wasn’t bulging out of my chest. Then, suddenly, Brian pushed my arm away. Before the shock of his action could set in, he strode closer, curled his hand around the nape of my neck, and dragged my lips to his.

At first, I froze, but then as his lips began to move against mine, I melted against him, wrapping my arms around his neck. Brian’s arms wrapped back around me, pulling me closer.

“YAY!” Melrose yelled. Brian and I quickly pulled away and looked around towards the doorway. Melrose’s eyes widened and she slapped both of her hands over her mouth. “Oopsies.”

“Melrose!” Jimmy exclaimed, stepping into view behind her. “You’re a horrible eavesdropper.” She dropped her hands and looked around and up at him.

“I’m sorry,” she peeped before looking back at us. “We’ll leave so you guys can...make up.” She twitched her eyebrows upward at me before giggling. Jimmy just rolled his eyes and seized her elbow before dragging her out of sight down the hall.

Brian and I looked back at each other. We still hovered in each other’s arms. Then, he smirked, a lopsided smirk that sent my heart slamming against my ribs again.

“Don’t have to ask me twice,” he commented before pulling my lips against his again.
♠ ♠ ♠
YYYAAAYYYY!

They're all back together again! YYYAAAYYY!

And I promise the next two chapters will, like, make you leap for joy. Honestly. Just gotta shrug the drama off. =}

Two chapters left. I'll post them...Saturday, most likely, because I'm spending the night at a friend's house tomorrow night. =}