Tell Me Why, You're So Hard to Forget

03

When school was finally over, Summer couldn’t have been happier. She began on her journey back to her home. That summer camp that her teacher suggested she attended was suddenly starting to sound good after all.

She was tired of being insulted and teased by her classmates. Maybe this camp could change her. It was supposed to help her handle herself after all. Maybe when she came back after the summer holidays, she would be different, and hopefully, she could start over.

Summer was still deciding between going to this camp or live with the teasing and insulting of herarse-faced classmates. Summer was so engrossed with the topic, that she almost walked into her front door, but managed to stop right before her face met the wooden door leading to her sanctuary.

The moment Summer closed the door, she heard a squeal and a smile came across her face. She bent down and rested on her knee and opened her arms, ready for her little sister, Maya.

“SUMMER!” squealed her eight year old sister Maya.
“Hey, kiddo,” Summer replied while ruffling Maya’s hair.

Summer dumped her school bags in a corner and started walking to the kitchen to grab a VitaminWater, with Maya holding on to her hand. Summer looked down at her little sister and couldn’t help but let out a soft chuckle. Maya looked up in return to her big sister and her face creased into a smile. Summer just shook her head, smiling, and continued walking towards the kitchen.

Down the hallway, she heard her mother’s voice calling Maya’s name. Maya let go of Summer’s hand and dashed down the hallway to their mother. Turns out, Maya had her ballet lesson soon so she had to get ready.

Summer just continued towards the kitchen. Once she got her bottle of VitaminWater she went up the stairs and into her room. She would just have to discuss the summer camp matter with her parents tonight after dinner.

---------------------------

“Great food, mom,” Summer commented, but just continued poking at her dinner.

“But you haven’t even touched your food, honey,” her mom responded. “Is there something wrong, Summer?”

“No, mom. Nothing’s wrong,” Summer replied, a tad of annoyance in her voice, and put down her fork.

After a short moment of awkward silence between the Donovans, Mrs. Donovan cleared her throat and moved around a little in her seat and was the first one to start talking.

“Summer, could you go put your sister to bed, please?” Summer’s mom smiled.

Summer looked up to her mom with raised eyebrows and obediently got out of her seat and gestured Maya to follow her upstairs back to her room.

After a few minutes, Summer padded down the stairs and sat back down in her seat at their dining table. She couldn’t stand it any longer and started fidgeting in her seat. She was waiting for her parents to say something first.

When she heard her father’s fork clink against his dinner plate, Summer felt herself starting to talk really fast saying how she didn’t want to go to the summer camp that her teacher suggested she attend to.

When her rambling finally stopped, she saw her parents just sitting there, chewing their food nonchalantly, while her eyes were darted around their dinner table waiting for a response from her parents.

“So, your school called me at the office this afternoon. They said something about a camp?” Mrs. Donovan looked at her daughter.

“Yeah,” Summer replied almost in a whisper.

“You wanna give it a shot?” her dad asked her.

“NO!” Summer answered back almost before he could finish what he was going to say. “No,” she repeated once more.

“This can be good for you,” Her dad said.

“No,” She replied him coolly.

“It’ll help you get better,”

“No,” Her voice was on the edge and she felt like crying. Nobody was listening to her.

“If it doesn’t, we’ll bring you back. I promise Summer,” Her mum cooed at her. “I promise,” She repeated before Summer turned to look at her. Her mum who looked nothing like her, was straining herself just to help her daughter. The look on her mum’s face made her nod.

---------------------------

Five days later, Summer stood outside alone with a black suitcase resting by her leg. She looked up and down the street and stopped when she saw a yellow car stopping in front of the house. She lifted the bag slowly and walked in the car.

She spared a last glance to see her mother and her sister with tears streaking down their faces. Her father hugging the two girls by his side and holding them tight. She gave them a small smile and got in the taxi.

Half an hour later and making sure not to watch the driver she stepped out from the taxi and walked alone into the airport. The airport was almost empty save for groups of tourist and business men.

Summer walked up to the check-in counter and received her boarding pass from a lady who looked like she was falling asleep. She chuckled to herself as she checked herself in. As she boarded the plane, she caught someone wit blond hair and immediately jumped and hit a glass, making it shatter on the floor.

She blushed red and recited sorry a few times before she got into her seat. Someone sat behind her and she dare not look over to see who. She clutched her hoodie closer to her and hugged her legs close. “Hey,” A voice deep sounded but she didn’t turn to look, only replying by giving a stiff nod.

Hours later, Summer’s legs were numb being curled up to her since take-off. She stood up and stumbled but someone wrapped their arm around her waist, stopping her fall. “Thanks,” She said hastily before she walked away with her hand carry luggage.

After customs, she looked around the airport searching for someone that was looking for her. She spotted a man in all black holding a paper with her name on it. “Summer Donovan?” She nodded and followed the man to a black car. She politely refused his offer of leaving her back in the boot and got in the car. Looking around, there were three other girls and one man with loose curls and a nice face.

“Name?” The man said. “Summer Donovan,” She whispered loud enough for him to hear. He nodded curtly and she sat down next to a girl whose eyes were closed and her mumbles inaudible to Summer’s ears. After another wait of an hour, Summer got out of the car to smell salt from the lake and fresh air from the trees. She grabbed her bag and walked to the lake to look at the landscape.

“Nice isn’t it?” Summer nodded to the unknown person. “Well, I’m Kevin Jonas and you’re Summer Donovan. I’m your guardian for the camp,” He said and she opened and closed her mouth while trying to think of an answer. Kevin droned on about things they were meant to do while Summer didn’t listen. She turned for him to stop but lost her balance when she said someone with blonde hair go past her.

She fell back into the water and made a big splash. The water splashed to Kevin and he immediately turned to look at the lake. He saw Summer threading helplessly he jumped straight into the water. He brought back a coughing Summer and laid her down on the ground. A crowd gathered around them. “Summer, are you okay?”

“I...,” And her eyes closed while people gasped around her.
♠ ♠ ♠
wooh! :D
anywhos, half was by me, and the other half was by my awesome co-writer, Natasha. (bellsneversing) teeehee.
COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE!

x.