One More Night Is All We Need

Pastel

I’d love to be able to admit that I knew what John needed to show me. Unfortunately, I had the short end of the stick. Not a clue.

“If you know what John is going to show me and you won’t tell me, I am going to kill you.” I articulated to Tina as she laced up the back of the dress that she insisted I wear for whatever reason that is still unknown to me.

“Well, then, I’m hiding in the bunker ‘cause John made me promise not to tell you.” She smirked. Now why did I even ask her?

I grunted, “I hate being left out of all the good secrets.”

“Oh, boy. Aren’t you in for a night.” She put her hands on her hips, studying the threads.

“Can’t I at least have a hint to what it is?” I questioned hopefully.

“Not in the slightest.”

“I hate you.”

She laughed, “Don’t worry. You’ll find out soon enough.”

Luckily, John came shortly after that discussion that lead me no where. He wouldn’t tell me what was going on either, not that I expected anything different than that.

“When are you going to tell me this big secret that everyone seems to be in on?” I asked John as we walked though the park.

The moonlight reflected in the little pools of dew on the concrete, almost smiling up at us as we sent ripples right through them. The crickets surrounded us, humming a solemn tune, helping me calm down.

It seemed that, in this single moment, this one night, I was completely content. Life was perfect. I had my life and a reason to live it. I had John. I had love. What else could make me smile at this very given second?

I almost smiled to myself as the butterflies began to flutter around in my stomach.

John stopped walking. He held a firm grip on my hand. I could tell he was nervous about something. His hands shook.

He sighed, “I love you. And you know that, right?”

“Of course I do, and I love you, too.” I pushed the stray strands of hair out of his face.

John scratched his head, “No matter how many times I’ve rehearsed this in my bathroom mirror, it just never comes out right.”

I laughed, “What are you talking about?”

He took both of my hands, “You are… the only girl that I would ever dream about waking up next to. My sunrise won’t ever be pure without your eyes there. And I just---I just…”

“Just what?” I whispered. My nerves rushed to my voice as his eyes caught my stare, two perfect glass pastels that gleamed in the dim light.

“I just want to be able to hold you in my arms and say that you’re mine without having the doubt of losing you to someone else.” He said quietly.

I put my hand on his cheek, “John O’Callaghan, you could never let me go. And ever if you tried, I wouldn’t let you. You’ve claimed my heart. It’s yours, always have, always will be.”

John released my hands and fished for something in his pocket, then he… got down on one knee.

Oh, sweet Jesus, say it isn’t so.

He smiled, “I think you know what I’m about to ask.”

I nodded as my tongue became a jumble mess.

“Kyra Dean, will you marry me?”

“Of course.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Damn, this is short.