Tension's Like a Fire

Chapter 14

This time Sleeper brought his hand up to knock with no hesitation.

“Come in Sleeper.” The boss’s voice rang through the door.

Sleeper opened the door just as easily.

“Coming to brag about your catch?” He asked as he saw the pleased look on Sleeper’s face. “I already knew. I’m a power thief, I have more powers than you can imagine, and you think I need you to come in here and give me a play by play.” He hissed.

Sleeper’s face fell. “You’re not happy? We got both of our targets now.” That huge deep voice rang through the air with confusion obvious.

“Because my foolish friend, they were prepared for us, just like you had to snag her at just the right moment. It still seemed to easy.” He said with his head propped up on his laced hands his dark eyebrows knitted together in thought. “Those guys aren’t done with us yet. They still have a plan. Check the new girl.”

Sleeper nodded his head before going out to do the task at hand.

***

Jack laid flat on his back staring up at the stars that seemed to be sending him pointed glares, until Rian found him.

“Shit dude! What happened is Jazz ok?” He rushed the words out.

He just shook his head “no.”

“Fuck.” He muttered. “I’ll get the rest of the guys.” And he was gone with his usual speed.

He returned in no time at all not so closely followed by Zack and Alex.

“Are you ok man?” Alex asked as he asked peering down at Jack. “What happened?”

“She started running too fast for me to keep up with and I lost her for a minute -only a minute- and some big ass guy tossed her into a car.” He said softly not taking his eyes off the stars. “I saw that and came crashing down.”

“How high were you? Are you gonna be alright?” Zack asked hoping Jack didn’t break anything.

“We lost her!” Jack said as he totally panicked. “I can’t believe we pressured her into this. All because I was thinking of how much I wanted Sally back.”

“Jack, it’s not your fault we couldn’t have known she‘s get away from you.” Rian said in attempts to ease Jack’s guilt.

“Guys, calm down. There’s always a plan B.” Alex said with a smirk.

His thumb caught the edge of her jeans pulling them down just enough for her thong and a little of her ass below it to show.

She expected him to grope her ass but instead she felt a sudden sharp pain to that bit of her ass he’d managed to reveal.

Her teeth clamped down once the pain hit her causing her to bite Alex’s lip for a moment before she pulled away.

“Shit!” He muttered after her teeth released his lip.

“Ouch! What the hell was that?!” She put her hand over the now sore spot.

“That’s plan B. No one can know about it okay.” He said softly as his hands released her and he brushed some of her hair from her face. “It’s a tracking device. This is my way of guaranteeing we won’t lose you.” He said as he pecked her lips one last time and helped her toss the last few things into the bag.


“Now get up Jack, we need to get back to the apartment.” Alex said after he explained the existence of the tracking device without going into the specifics.

Jack looked up at him in disbelief. “You thought this wasn’t going to work, but this was your idea. Why did you keep us in the dark?”

“Jack we don’t know what their powers are like. I thought that the less who knew the less any psychic would pick up on the plan so this was the safe way to go. I wouldn’t have even told Jazz if she wouldn’t have felt it.” Alex said honestly.

“What exactly did she feel?” Rian asked with his eyebrow up in curiosity.

Alex blushed a little. “Umm... You see the part of the device that is attached to her was like a needle. There’s only a little bit that shows and it’ll just look a little freckle.”

Jack had calmed a little and smirked at Alex‘s vagueness. “So where is this freckle?”

The crimson in Alex’s cheeks glowed brighter. “We shouldn‘t discuss this, who knows who could be watching.”

They caught a cab so they’d get back to the apartment as fast as possible... Well Rian ran that way they wouldn’t have to wait for a big cab.

Rian was back first to no surprise to him. He was sitting jiggling his feet impatiently, he had no idea what to do.

Once the door opened he was instantly to his feet.

“So what do we do now?” He asked quickly as he watched Alex run to his room.

Alex came back out with the handset that connected to the tracking device to show them where it was.

“She’s still in the car with that guy.” Alex said with his eyes glued to the screen. “She’s still moving.”

They all look at each other not sure what they’re supposed to do.

“Ok, our neighbor Jenny, the one that has the huge crush on Zack,” Zack’s cheeks reddened just by Alex’s simple mention. “She has a car. Zack try and see if she’ll lend it to you. Explain it’s an emergency but don’t go into to much real detail. Lie if you have to.”

Zack nodded and walked out.

“We’re gonna need to be ready for a fight.” Alex said as he finally took his eyes off the screen. “Where ever they’re taking her is their base of operations, I’m sure they won’t be arrogant enough to think that nobody would be able to find them.”

***

“Damn it Sight!” He yelled at the tall frail woman in front of him.

She cringed back fearing he was going to strike her. Her cold gray eyes clamped shut not wanting to see the hand fly at her if it was going to.

“Your power is useless!” He spit venom like a cobra.

She looked up at him only slightly her 5’10” frame only shorter than his by two inches. Tears slipped through the ducts despite her best efforts to hold them back. “My power isn’t like the rest,” She said shakily. “There is no controlling it. You see only what whatever greater power that holds the universe together wants you to see.”

He grabbed her long mess of curly dark red hair in his palm. “There has to be a way to control it.” He hissed. “Tell Me!” He demanded as he shook her by her hair.

“I don’t know!” She cried.

He fumed. Breathing heavily out of anger. He wove his fingers through her hair even tighter.

“Please let me go.” She begged.

“Why can’t I see what those guys are planning?” He didn’t care about her begging.

She knew he wasn’t going to like her answer. “You’re not supposed to.” She braced herself for the pain he was going to inflict upon her.

“Yes I am!” He screamed as he slapped her and let her go for her to fall to the floor. “I’m supposed to know everything! That’s the whole point of this stupid fucking power!” The angrier he got the harder he was to understand through his accent.

She didn’t understand him when he said that, so she just fixed her watering eyes on the white Grecian styled gown that fit loosely over her model-like figure.

He looked at her just disgusted by the “uselessness” of her power. “Why did I even waste my time finding you to get this power?” This was clearer, he’d stopped yelling and calmed a bit.

She looked up to him though her glassy eyes after wiping away some of the excess tears. She hoped she looked pathetic enough for him to feel pity for; but she doubted it.

His stare remained hard fixed on her.

Then he saw something he approved of her eyes changed the pupils dilated big enough to take over her whole eye. Her eyes were black and she wasn’t seeing anything in that room.

She was seeing something else, something worth seeing, he was sure.

But then again this angered him. Why didn’t this vision come to him?

“Damn it! Why didn’t it come to me?!” He shouted again in frustration and knocked the lamp off his desk watching it fall apart as it hit the wall.

Her eyes slowly changed back, the blackness retracting back to the center.

“Whatever greater power there is didn’t want you to.” She spoke softly as her eyes stayed wide and she re-watched everything she’d just seen in her memory.

“So what the hell’s going on?” He hissed.

She looked up at him slowly not wanting to say what she’d seen.

“They’re here.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy crapsticks Batman! I got 6 comments on the last chapter! 6 on one chapter! That never happens to me!
I'm up to 33 subscribers 107 readers and 30 comments.
I fuckin' love you guys!
If you keep doing this I may never stop writing this! I've had a tiny bit of writer's block on this chapter but I knew I had to get it out for y'all.
So Alex had ulterior motives to the kiss, such a shame.
By the way there's a slight time difference in this chapter. The stuff happening at the big bad's place of business -so to speak- is after they get Jazz there obviously and the stuff with the guys is before. Just in case you didn't get that. I don't know why I wrote it that way but it's just the way it came out.

More shameless promotion!

Sometimes Resisting is Easier Than Giving In
By CatherineMary
I'm lovin' this but I'm not caught up yet because she writes really long chapters which is always a good thing

Remembering Sunday
By Stephie-Vengeance
I have a part in hers and I have finally been debuted. Oh and I'm about to leak a spoiler because she did the same to me in the comments on this story. She's about to add another character based on another person on mibba who I can not disclose as of yet.