Tension's Like a Fire

Chapter 8

When Alex awoke Jazz was still holding him, only through the night as they slept it changed to her curling against him.

He was trying to decide how to best get out of bed without waking her when her eyes began fluttering open.

“G’mornin.” She mumbled out as she rubbed her eyes trying to wake herself up.

“Morning.” He murmured back.

They both rolled out of each other’s arms to lay on their backs staring up at the ceiling. They were still close, their arms touching.

Alex reached over and hit the little radio beside his bed turning it on.

The all to familiar opening to a song that everyone knows just by the first few bars came on.

As the lyrics came in Alex did what he does every time only surprised when his voice wasn’t the only one piercing the air.

“Just a small town girl,
Livin’ in a lonely world”

They looked at each other astonished at what was happening but neither of them stopped they harmonized beautifully.

“Just a city boy,
Born and raised in South Detroit”

They both kept the eye contact through the whole four minutes and nine seconds of song and it didn’t feel awkward for even the shortest moment.

After the song ended they broke their gazes both turning their attention back to the ceiling above them that now seemed like the best thing to look at.

“You have an amazing voice.” Jazz commented lightly, because now that the song was over the room was filled with awkward.

“Thank you.” He said with the same slightly awkward tone that she did. “Me and the guys had a band, what surprised me was your voice.” His honesty shone though the awkwardness.

She didn’t really know what to say so she just went on to one of her random musings; one of her favorite quotes. “We are all in the gutter just some of us are looking at the stars.” She didn’t feel the need to specify Oscar Wilde as the author of the quote.

Again the girl surprised Alex. He knew that quote. He knew a few Oscar Wilde quotes, so he decided to respond with one of his own. “A true friend stabs you in the front.”

She decided to continue the game. “Forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much.” Their eyes met again and this time they leaned closer subtly.

Alex noticed what was happening and decided he had to put a stop to it no matter how soft her pink lips looked. “Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.” He said sharply and stood up quickly.

He walked out of the room leaving her alone in her thoughts.

She sat up and put her head in her hands. ‘What the hell was that Jazz?’ she chided herself. ‘What happened to not liking him? Gah, this is just disgustingly cliche. God Can I just get out of this stupid teen drama? Really I don’t like the story line. I want to go back to my life of mediocrity. Wow I’m probably the only person to ask for that. I just don’t want to be the hansom hero’s prize for being heroic.’

She paused going over what she just thought. ‘Not that I think he’s hansom. He’s... He’s umm... Average I guess but not my type for sure. I don’t like him that way. I hardly like him at all.’

Again she stopped, this time she looked up to the ceiling putting her hand over her forehead. “I’m fighting with myself.” She spoke aloud in disbelief.

About the same time Alex was in the bathroom staring himself down in the mirror.

‘Why’d you let her get so close Alex.’ He scolded himself. ‘If you let her close she’d just do what everybody else does. She’ll leave, she'll mercilessly break what’s left of your heart.’

As Alex was pessimistically reprimanding himself Jack was still in his bed letting optimism fill him to the brim.

‘We could finally find her.’ He smiled to himself at these thoughts. ‘I could finally ride in on a white horse and save her, sweeping her off her feet in the process.’

His mind then began to go off into imagining swooping in to save her.

They barge into the stereotypical warehouse like in all the movies and there she is tied to a chair, gagged.

Of course as they barge in like 10 ninjas come from nowhere to prevent them from taking Sally.

Jack steps forward, strikes a heroic pose with his body that in this daydream is more muscular and better hung -I mean it was his fantasy- and stands like that for a moment before the ninjas decide to attack.

He fends them off, hardly breaking a sweat doing so, without the other guys help and once all of the ninjas are incapacitated he goes straight to Sally’s side.

Unties her and she instantly jumps into his waiting arms. She thanks him profusely holding him tight before they both pull away far enough to stare into each other’s eyes.

Jack’s memory of her beautiful brown eyes hasn’t faded at all. That was the clearest moment in the whole fantasy.

Before they close the distance enough to connect for a kiss.

That was perfect to Jack just thinking of that.

He brought himself out of his little ‘dream’ to remind himself that Sally was his best friend’s little sister and she never returned his feelings.

Even with those thoughts in his head he reached for the picture that was now resting on his nightstand. He gazed at it again just memorizing her every feature all over again, until his eyes fixed on her eyes.

He instantly sat straight up.

He made sure his mind wasn’t playing tricks on him and stared at the photo for a moment more before springing out of bed.

He ran right into Alex’s room where he found Jazz just sitting there in the center of Alex’s bed staring at his wall lost in thought.

“Jazz.”

She didn’t notice him.

“Jazz!” He increased his volume and she jumped and brought her attention to him.

“Hmm?” She looked at him curiously.

“Sally, does she wear color contacts?” He asked quickly.

“Not that I know of. Why?” She answered dully, she had expected something more interesting.

“What color are her eyes?” He asked raising his eyebrow in question.

She stopped. You could tell by her eyes that her mind had wondered off again. She couldn’t believe with how long she’d known Sally it was still this hard for her to think of an eye color.

She turned her head back to Jack slowly. “I don’t know.” She answered softly in a state of shock that she didn’t know her roommate’s eye color. “I never noticed. But we share a bathroom and there’s never been any contact case or anything like that. Why do you ask?”

With this confirmation he walked out of the room without answering her question.

Seeing Rian and Zack in the kitchen he knew Alex was in the bathroom.

So he went straight there and knocked on the door. “Alex open up, it’s important.”

Alex opened the door looking at Jack curious about what this could be.

“Sally’s eyes aren’t brown here, they’re like a crystal blue.” He spoke and thrust the picture at Alex.

Alex took the picture glanced at it. ‘This doesn’t seem that important.’

“Ok Jack, And?” He handed the picture right back.

“She has powers too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sooo sorry!
I've had some hardcore writer's block.
Thus a short crappy chapter

Plus I started another story.
But to be honest I wrote the other story first, but I didn't write it well thus (no I don't know why I keep saying thus) I have to write it again. It's a sequel to my old Bill Beckett story so I had to post it at some point because I promised two people I would.
And I've been playing around with some other story ideas, a Gabe one and the Oli one I mentioned

I'll show you the idea for the Oli story
Oli story sneak peek