Tension's Like a Fire

Chapter 9

“How does one picture of her with blue eyes tell you she has powers?” Rian asked seriously from his spot at the table.

They were all sitting around the table except Jazz who was standing away awkwardly wishing she could help more; provide more information about Sally that could do something for them.

“Her eyes were brown, like Alex’s. Remember?” Jack said back hastily. “She left for the same reason we did.”

“Dude haven’t you heard of colored contacts?” Zack asked skeptically.

“I’ve never seen a contact case anywhere in the apartment. So I’d go so far as to say she doesn’t have them; although that’s pure speculation.” Jazz paused as she played with the hem of her shirt still wishing she were more help. “I’m not observant. I wish I was because I’d be more help to you guys but I’m pretty much useless.”

They -save Alex- watched her wanting to say something helpful but they didn’t know her well enough to really know the words to console her.

She looked up to them seeing them watching her with their looks obviously concerned.

She changed her frown to a smile. “Guys it’s not that big of a deal, someone’s got to be useless right?” She joked.

They chuckled lightly and turned back to each other.

“I still can’t believe she has powers based on one photo.” Rian said honestly.

“I’m with Rian.” Zack agreed simply. “You can’t say someone has powers based on a picture.”

“But it would make sense!” Jack argued vigorously. “It would suggest that it was a genetic trait rather than some freak occurrence! I mean now that we have solid proof that we’re not the only ones out there why wouldn’t it be possible for it to be hereditary?”

“Because no one else we’re related to has powers.” Zack said back logically.

“Maybe it’s a new genetic development. Maybe it’s new to our generation. That guy in Jazz’s apartment didn’t look that much older than us; it’s possible.”

Alex scoffed. “This sounds as ridiculous as everything that comes out of your mouth.”

Jack’s look turned to a glare. “What do you need to believe she had no real reason for leaving so you can go on hating her and continue your pity party?”

The boys stood up and were standing toe to toe like they had been in Jazz and Sally’s apartment only this time there was no danger to stop them.

They’re glares were intense they were standing so close they’re chest were touching.

Rian and Zack were just going to sit back figuring if the two of them threw a few punches this little feud they’ve been having recently would clear up.

“Hey!” Jazz didn’t agree.

She came up and pushed her way between them, not strong enough to really push them apart she was sandwiched between them.

“This isn’t helping anyone! It’s a waste of time! We don’t know what they could be doing to her right now, so we don’t have the time to waste! And Alex as much as you act like you don’t care I know that deep down somewhere you’re still worried and acknowledging the fact she’s your sister. So sit back down so we can figure this out.” Her voice had softened to a reasoning tone by the end.

The guys both sent each other one final glare before returning to their seats.

Jazz had stepped up to the table deciding the testosterone fest needed some estrogen just so they wouldn’t be at each other’s throats anymore.

“So whether or not she has powers why would somebody kidnap her and why would-we assume-the same people want me too?” She asked from her new position.

“Maybe it would have something to do with her having powers?” Jack continued on with his theory.

“Why would they want Jazz she doesn’t have powers?” Rian challenged.

“So far as we know.” Jack said and looked at Jazz as if waiting for her to divulge some huge secret.

She just smiled. “Yeah right. I have some snazzy cool power and I’m the total wimp I am. Sorry I’m just your average chick.”

“Well, lets say Jack is right.” Zack decided to run with the idea no matter how unlikely it was. “Maybe people like us inadvertently surround ourselves with other people with powers. So maybe they just assume Jazz has powers because Sally does.”

“If they’re after people with powers wouldn’t they logically come for us first seeing as there’s more of us and we flaunt our powers more. I mean really we’re as well known here to our ugly underground as Batman was to Gotham.” Rian countered.

“Well that would make you guys more of a challenge, right?” Jazz added. “I mean the four of you have some crazy strong powers, plus you’re men, and there’s more of you. I’d go for the easy targets first.”

“Well why are they after us to begin with.” Alex spit having not calmed down from the fight.

They all paused.

This was the hardest question.

Why would people be after these gifted people?

If it had been only normal humans there would be a good explanation. Much like in X-Men the humans would be afraid of these more powerful people.

But with the “Jumper” they disproved that theory.

“Maybe someone’s using their powers for evil instead of good.” Rian offered. “Maybe even Sally.” He said that slower than the first part fearing the tempers that could flare with that statement.

“Sally wouldn’t!” Jack shouted as he slammed his palm against the table.

He wasn’t necessarily the one whose temper they expected.

They all stared at him in awe, except Alex who eyed him suspiciously.

“Jack we don’t know her anymore-” Zack began calmly only to have Jack cut him off.

“No there are some things that never change! She would never do anything like that!”

“Like what Jack?” Alex’s look of suspicion hit it’s peek and turned back to anger. “You have feeling’s for my baby sister!”

“Just a minute ago you were talking about her like you didn’t give a damn.” Jack spit back.

You would have never known that they had once been best friends.

“This is why you always hung around my house huh?” Alex said getting up again walking to Jack’s chair. “Hoping that my sister might not realize you were there and get a quick peek?” Alex shoved Jack while he still sat.

“It wasn’t like that at all!” Jack finally stood to argue this.

He stood just in time for Alex’s fist to knock him to the ground.

Alex’s fist slammed into Jack’s jaw with enough force not only to knock him down but there was enough heat on it to leave a minor burn too.

Jack’s hand instantly went to his jaw.

Alex stood above Jack looking down at him his anger making his breathing heavy before he stomped off again.

Jazz leaned down and offered her hand to help Jack up.

He took her hand and removed his other hand from the burn to push himself up.

“Oh shit, he burned you too.” Jazz said as Jack moved his hand revealing the wound. “Come ‘ere.” She said as she pulled him to the sink. “Grab a clean rag please.” She said politely as she moved away turning to grab something else.

She stepped away from him grabbing a bottle that the guys couldn’t see until she turned back to Jack and sat it next to him after taking the clean rag from him.

She turned the cold water on and stuck the rag in it.

“Mustard?” Zack’s voice dripped with confusion.

She put the cold rag to Jack’s face.

The heat that remained beneath his skin from the burn instantly cooled.

“Yeah.” She began.

“Sally told me”

“Sally told you.”

Jack and her spoke the words at the same time. They looked each other in the eyes and both gently smiled. Speaking silently. They didn’t need to say anything they understood each other.

She sat the rag down and grabbed the mustard putting a little on the tip of her finger. “You’re going to smell like mustard though.” She said and wryly smiled up at him.

“I’m gonna be hungry all night.” He joked back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok I don't know if that mustard thing really works Stephie-Vengeance -Who Sally is based on- told me that so I threw it in.
By the way forgive any errors. I wrote the end as quick as I could so I could get it out so I haven't checked for errors but I will edit it.

I’m sorry that I totally suck at getting updates out.
I'm having a little inspiration shortage lately but I think if I stop and get a better idea of exactly where I want this story to go things'll get easier. Blame my lack of planning on the lame lack of updates.
The next chapter will be back to Sally and her captors I know that.

By the way, I HAVE 20 SUBSCRIBERS!
You guys have no idea how awesome that is. I've never had that many before. You should all comment so I can thank you all for subscribing. Those of you that have already commented, comment again! lol Just kidding.
But if you do comment it does help. Tell me what you think, what you love, what you hate, anything!