Status: COMPLETED!

Shatter

Lycan

“Peridot!” I heard Tristan’s voice from behind me. I turned and saw him emerge from the forest. He ran toward me, faster than any human could. When he finally got to where I was, he said, “I’ve been looking for you! Why weren’t you in your room?” He demanded.

Instantly, I became defensive. “What? I am not allowed to explore the place? Go where I please? Am I a slave already?”

His face turned stony, and it made me want to bite back my words. “I was going to tell you that the auctioning is tomorrow. Good luck.” He said through stiff lips.

And then he was gone. I sighed. I hadn’t meant to hurt him.

Something moving along the edge of the forest caught my eye. It was a person -- the tall form looked like Tristan.

I guess I’ll go and apologize.

I picked up my book and strode off toward the forest. I got halfway there before the figure disappeared into the towering trees. I sighed. I was halfway across the meadow already; might as well go check it out. Following my decision, I resumed my walking. After a while, I reached the forest and sat down at the base of a tree.

Might as well get some reading done.

I sighed once more, opened my book, and began to read.

A Brief History of Vampires

Introduction.

They have lived alongside mankind for centuries upon centuries. Many a legend has risen from encircling rumors of their past and habits. This book is written for one specific purpose:

to put out the truth.

A shadow loomed over me, obscuring my light source.

Aka, the sun. Duh.

“Hey!” I started to complain, and looked up, ready to scold whomever was the cause of my conflict....

...and drew in a sharp breath.

A man with shoulder-length, black hair (which was currently tossed in disarray), with glowing blue-violet eyes stood, or rather, towered, over me. His expression was curious. “What are you reading?”

I blushed and handed the book to him, squirming like a child who’d just been caught with their hand in the cookie jar. “Erm... here.”

His face changed from curious to amused in a matter of seconds. When he read the title of the book, he barked a laugh.

Which, of course, made my blush deepen.

“If you wanted to know about vampires, you could’ve asked your vampire friend.” He said, grinning.

“Well... um....” I stuttered.

“But you two aren’t on the best of terms right now, are you?” He continued to grin from ear to ear at me.

How did he know...?

He laughed again, this time at my befuddled expression. Offering to help me up, he extended his hand. I took it and stood. I noticed that he was a great bit taller than me.

“What’s your name?” He asked suddenly, interrupting my thoughts.

Caught off guard, I managed to stammer out, “P-peridot.”

Why do I always get so scatterbrained around hot guys?

I inwardly cursed the male race for making me act so silly.

“Well, I’m Ben. It’s nice to meet you.” He smiled.

And what is it with these people and their obsession with perfect teeth?

Desperate for a change of topic, I asked, “So, why were you in the forest?”

Apparently, it was the wrong thing to ask, because his eyes darkened at my words. “No reason. Just out for a walk....” Then his eyes twinkled, “I’m just lucky that I found you.”

Was he... flirting?

No. I
must be mistaken.

Guys like him don’t flirt with wallflowers like me.

Why
were all these guys paying attention to me I mused.

It just makes no sense at all.

While I was immersed in my thoughts, we had started walking back toward the huge mansion and had reached the bridge.

“Penny for your thoughts.” He teased.

I looked at him and smiled. “No thanks. You don’t want to know what goes on in my mind.”

He looked surprised at that, but didn’t press the matter any further.

We climbed the stairs in silence, and when we reached the top, a gust of wind came from the direction of which we came.

Ben stiffened, the crossed the “porch” hurriedly and opened the door. I stood where I was, eyebrows raised. He hastily beckoned for me to walk over to him, but I shook my head. “Not until you tell me what you don’t want me to see out here.”

He sighed, then crossed the “porch” again. Upon reaching me, he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder in one fluid motion.

“Hey!” I started to protest. He turned and walked toward the open door.

It was then that I saw him.

As soon as our eyes met, Ben froze.

Fathomless silver eyes with matching shoulder-length hair that seemed to sparkle in the sunlight.

I gasped.

Now he was gorgeous.

A curious expression lit up his features.

“Where are you going, wolf?” He asked, smiling politely at me.

...

...

...

Huh?

Was he talking to me?


A rumbling seemed to come from within Ben, and with a shock, I realized that it was a growl.

“That’s none of your damn business. Stop sticking your nose where it doesn’t belong, Matic.” He managed to growl out.

Matic looked at the cobblestone and chuckled, showing no signs of fear whatsoever. “No worries, wolf. I’m just... curious... about her. As we all are.” I stared at him, and he met my gaze, still chuckling.

I blushed like the idiot that I am.

Ben’s growl turned into a snarl. “Leave. Now.” He said through clenched teeth.

Matic made a mock bow. “As you wish.” He turned back toward the stairs.

What happened next was indescribable.

His shape changed, bones visibly shrinking and skin bubbling like it was on fire. I watched in horror, but found that I couldn’t turn my eyes away. All the while, not a scream escaped from his lips, yet the whole process looked excruciating.

The end result was an adorable silver fox with intelligent eyes.

He winked, then scampered down the stairs. Ben practically sprinted inside.

“What do you have against Matic, Ben?” I asked him after he’d closed the door.

“He’s a fauna. That’s reason enough.” He spat out. I guess I still looked confused, because he took a deep breath and explained. “Fauna and people like me don’t get along.”

“People... like... you?” I was still confused. He gave me a look.

Then it hit me.

Matic called him wolf.

People who don’t get along with other animals.

People who have nasty tempers.


I gasped, my late burst of intuition practically slapping me in the face.

Lycan.

Ben is a werewolf.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Aha! So now you guys finally get to meet Ben. Surprised? Yes? No? Maybe?

One thing I am going to get on you about, my dear readers (save for Moonlit Runner, who has bore with my awful writing and stuck with me on this since the beginning, and anyone else who has commented before now), is that my comment numbers? Yeah. They're sad. Seriously. 55 people have read this story and only 5 comments? So please, tell me what you think if you're reading this story. Otherwise, I have no idea about what I should improve on.

SO PLEASE! Comment. :]

Love you all,
~Chez<3