Status: COMPLETED!

Shatter

The Motherless Children

“My mother was a Warrior of the Light. She served directly under the Great Archangel Michael, after whom I was named.” He paused and smiled at my stunned expression. “ At one time, I saw it as a bit of a burden to bear, but I’ve learned since then that you ‘forge your own destiny.’ ” He cleared his throat a little. “Where was I...? Oh, yes; my mother. Her name was Faera, and she held Michael in the greatest respect. She was out on an.... assignment.... when she met my father, Liam. He was a Tele, and on an assignment himself as well. To make an incredibly long story short, they fell in love, got married, and had me, their only child. No one had any objections, for the only forbidden union is that of a Warrior of the Light to a Descendent of Darkness.”

He had stated all this calmly, while my mouth had dropped open. “But, as you can see, I have no wings. My mother was disappointed, but delighted that I had inherited my father’s abilities as a telepathic and telekinetic. Though I imagine I’m not as strong as you are in those areas....” He admitted. “So now you know my life story.”

“But!” I protested, and he raised an eyebrow. “What happened to your parents?”

Apparently, it was the wrong thing to ask, because instantly, his face became filled with sorrow.

“I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have --” I backpedaled, but he interrupted me, shaking his head.

“No, no; it’s all right. My mother was killed in battle when I was at six years of age. My father was devastated. He... he couldn’t live without her. So,” He took in a deep breath, “I had his memories erased. I couldn’t bear to see him suffer, and he deserved the chance to live out another life -- to start over, if you will.” His voice remained emotionless, but when he turned to look at me, I could see fathomless depths of desolation in his golden orbs. I instinctively put my hand on his, as a comforting gesture. He smiled gently at me, but the chaos still dominated his eyes. “After that, I knew I had to get away. I couldn’t be near a constant war and an empty home. Thus, I left and fell here. They needed someone to be a doctor, and it just so happened that healing was the one talent I inherited from Faera. I’ve stayed here since then.”

Wow. A doctor at six years old.

“Amazing...!” I whispered, and he smiled genuinely in response.

My stomach growling killed the mood we’d created in those few minutes. I blushed, completely embarrassed.

Here he was telling me his life story, and all I can think of is hunger?

He chuckled. “I’ll let you eat.” He got up off the bed, and left the room slowly.

It was then that I realized that this place reeked of sorrow. Sorrow, and death.
♠ ♠ ♠
The title seemed to be so fitting for both characters. :]