Break Down

04

“No you can sit down” I said putting away my phone.

“I think someone needs to eat…you can’t possibly survive in here with nothing in your stomach” Jake said pushing my tray of food in front of me.

“But I don’t want to eat that’s why there’s nothing in that tray” I said pushing the empty tray aside

“I tell you this…you’ll never survive…”

“I heard you the first time… I’ll prove to you that I can survive you’ll see”

“That’s what you think”

“Besides, I already know what happens when I don’t eat”

“And what happens exactly?”

“Nothing”

“Suit yourself.” Jake said taking a big bite into his sandwich.

“So how was trig?” he asked

I told him all about what happened when I went in Mr. Barker’s class and how my cellphone got confiscated and about Alex. He listened attentively and he didn’t but in. Not like Alex. I know its wrong to compare both of them but I can’t help but think that Jake would be way better than him in all the ways he’s not. I’m starting to think that I actually like Jake not only because he’s handsome and charming but also because he knows how to treat a girl. Unlike Alex…

“Wow…I’ve never had that much trouble ever since the first grade.” Jake laughed

“Well, I’m not like you Mr. Goody goody” I said sticking my tongue at him.

“Whatever Miss Trouble maker whose cellphone got confiscated” Jake said.

We laughed together and we talked about random things. Sadly, lunch break was over but he told me to meet him after school by the steps outside. I kept wondering what he wanted from me and I had this nagging feeling that kept my focus locked inside a box and left me day dreaming in class all afternoon.

“I see we have a new face today.” Mrs. Wilson said noticing that I wasn’t paying any attention in Chemistry.

“Thinking of your Chemistry partner I see Ms. –“

“Barakat, Heather Barakat” I continued for her. I heard everyone giggling at Mrs. Wilson’s comment but I didn’t think it was that funny but she was right though, I was thinking of someone who I hope to be the right one.

The bell rang for dismissal and I was free. Free from the prison they call school. I quickly packed my stuff and headed to my locker to put back my books. I grabbed my bag and went out to the steps where Jake told me to meet him.

“Hey!” Jake called out and all of a sudden, my heart was beating faster and my legs took bigger strides.

“Hey” I replied.

“You ready to go?” he asked.

“Wait…Where are we going?”

“You’ll see” he said taking my hand and dragging me to wherever he wanted to go.



He dragged me all the way to an empty park. We went inside and he led me to the playground.

“You dragged me all the way to a playground?” I asked. Why in the world would he drag me all the way here?

“Wasn’t what you expected?”

“Nope”

“Well, I like to come here to think and I come here to be alone or when I don’t want to be with anyone else.”

“And my being here helps you how?”

“Well is it impossible that I wanted to be alone…with you?” he asked and both my eyebrows rose.