Break Down

05

Jake Johnson wants to be alone with me? Is he serious…? I wanna be with him but I never thought he’d feel the same way about me…I guess it’s true when they say denial is the first step to acceptance…

“I –I didn’t think that you’d actually-“

“I do. I know this might seem a bit corny and it’s only been a day but I have this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach and it seems like there’s something fluttering in it”

“The butterflies?”

“Is that what they call it?”

“Yea…”

“Anyway…” he said taking a hold of my two hands

“I wanna be with you. Now until forever…wow I can’t believe I just said that” Jake said.

“Ya well I can’t believe I’d actually do this” I said leaning in to him. I kissed him and I couldn’t believe I did. That was a pathetic move but I guess I’m not the only pathetic one here because he kissed me right back. The next thing I knew, we were making out in a playground.

All happy moments have to end right? Thanks to my mother, my ended quickly. My phone rang.

“I’m really sorry Jake, it’s my mom” I said pulling away from his kiss.

“No its fine, go pick it up” he said and I did what he told me to do. Once I answered my phone, my mother was screaming in my ear as if I was deaf. She told me to go home and then she hung up.

“I have to go. My mom is getting angry” I told Jake.

“Ok. I’ll see you tomorrow then.” Jake said giving me one last kiss before I left.

I reached home in a matter of minutes. I opened the front door, put my shoes aside and went to the kitchen.

“Young lady, where the hell have you been?!” my mom said starting her speech.

“I was with a friend” I replied.

“Not even a phone call or a text message? Nothing to tell me that you were safe and you weren’t kidnapped by some maniac? Nothing? Nothing at all?”

“Why do you have to make this such a big deal? I was late for dinner, so what??”

“Don’t give me that attitude Heather. You know I don’t like to be treated as if I was anyone. I’m your mother for crying out loud! Of course I have to make this a big deal!”

“Stop treating me like a baby because I’m not like that anymore. I have changed and you need to know that I can take care of myself. Why don’t you trust me?”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, what’s going on in here?” Jack said entering the scene.

“I am so sick and tired of that attitude Heather!! Go to your room now!!” my crazy mom said.

I ran upstairs and I went in to my room. I crashed on the bed face down and I started crying. I always hated my mother for being such a control freak and for being so over protective. Sometimes I just can’t understand why she can’t let go and why she doesn’t trust me. Minutes passed but it felt like hours and I stopped crying. My head hurt and my eyes were stinging.



“What happened down there? It seemed like world war three.” Jack said barging into my room and ignoring the “please knock” sign on my door.

“Didn’t you ask your beloved mother?” Sarcasm filling the tone of my voice.

“I did”

“And? Wasn’t her side of the story enough?”

“Nope…it never is”

“How so?”

“She skips all the good parts.”

“I don’t get you. There were no good parts”

“Just tell me your side”

“Too bad I don’t wanna talk about it”

“Fine if you don’t want to talk about that then lets talk about why Alex is so freakin’ sad today”

“Why make it my problem. He’s your friend and it’s his life. We don’t make a connection”

“You had a connection”

“We HAD a connection. But we don’t have one now”

“Why can’t you just forgive him?”

“I don’t even understand why you two are friends”

“He cheated on you. Big deal. It’s been five months and you haven’t forgiven him yet?”

“Would you forgive someone who cheated on you?”

“It depends”

“Well too bad I’m not like you.” I said ending the conversation by walking out the door and down the stairs hoping to get out and get some fresh air.

“Where do you think you’re going?” my mother said feeling a bit calm.

“Out” I said still feeling mad at her.

“If you get out of this house right now, I will ground you for a week.” She said thinking she can stop me.

“Ground me all you want.” I said opening the door and walking out.

I was looking up at the sky when suddenly a hand touched my shoulder. I turned around to see who it was

“Can we talk?“