Status: Hiatus: don't know whether I should keep or delete this story...I'm just not into it anymore, but it hurts to delete it :/

What Happens in Hollywood

All You Can Eat

Everyone went home to change after the very unsuccessful barbecue. We decided to go to a buffet, so no one was going to be dressy, it's just that everyone was very sweaty and decided to take a nice cold shower. At least that's what they said.

I wiped the bathroom mirror clean from the vapor with a small towel, and looked at myself. I sighed as I proceeded to remove the eyeshadow I just put on. Putting on make-up wasn't one of my best talents ever, due to the fact that my mom just recently decided I could wear it. And let me tell you, it wasn't easy to convince her. It took a lot of time, persuasion, responsibility, begging, and, when all else failed, whining to the point where she couldn't take it anymore and she cracked. So now here I was, a fourteen year-old girl, trying not to look like a clown. I just couldn't seem to get the shadow to go where I wanted it.

"What's wrong with me? It's just make-up not rocket science!" I yelled in frustration. I sighed and gave it one more try. I slowly closed my right eyelid and gently applied the light pink eyeshadow, moving the brush from one side to the other hoping not to mess up. I opened my eye again, and to my dismay, It actually looked fine. Professional, even. I grinned stupidly at the mirror, satisfied at my work. Then I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "OK, don't mess up. I can do it. I already did one eye." I said to myself. I picked up the brush and began applying the shadow to the other eye, when suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. Startled, I jumped, causing me to get pink shadow on my eyebrow. "Damn it!" I said under my breath so whoever was on the other side of the door wouldn't hear. One of my parents was outside that door and would scold me for swearing, though I really didn't consider it a swear word.

"Leah, honey, hurry up! I need the bathroom!" My dad yelled from outside the door.

"OK dad, I'll be out in five minutes!" I yelled back, slightly irritated.

"Leah, I haven't even showered yet!" He shouted with anger in his voice.

"I'm almost done I swear!" I shouted and frowned.

"You have five minutes!" He shouted back and stomped off.

"Like I didn't mention that before!" I retorted. I groaned loudly and removed all the make-up from my eyes, and decided that only wearing lip gloss was the best way to go.

I opened the door and went to the full length mirror while my dad walked into the bathroom. I stuck my tongue out at him behind his back.

I was wearing a pink and gray striped top with white skinny jeans. My flats were white and had rhinestones on them. They were my favorite. "Oh, okay. I look good," I said and smiled at my reflection. It just felt great that I actually looked decent. No pimples or anything to ruin my face.

My mom was on one of the beds, getting Mackenzie dressed. And let me tell you, Mackenzie was not happy about this at all. She doesn't like being awakened during her naps, and I don't blame her.

"NO! I don't like this! Is ugly mommy!" She screamed. And kicked.

"Stay still Mackenzie! Or you're staying here all alone with the scary monsters!" mom yelled back, attempting to button up Mackenzie's pink dress.

"Mommy you lie! There's no scary smonters here!"

Smonters. That's what she called them. Don't ask me why, I'm just her sister. I don't know what goes on in the brains of four year olds.

I grabbed my Ipod and left the room. Out in the hallway, I saw Liz walk out of her room and close the door behind her. Why was she wearing a dress? And heels? Ooh wedges! They were brown and matched her dress, which had ruffles on them. She even carried a brown bag with her. But we were just going to a buffet, right? No need to dress up, right? Or had I gotten it all wrong?

She smiled when she saw me, and I smiled back. I waited for her to reach me and we both walked down the hallway to the stairs. "You look pretty, I like your outfit," I said to her and she smiled and thanked me. "You're welcome," I replied with a smile. "Did you make it?"

"I had a lot of help, but yes," she replied.

"So, um, why so fancy to go to a buffet? I mean, no one said to dress up..." that was not how I wanted to ask her that.

"Oh, no. It's just that I like to dress up. That's all," she said smiling at me, like some kind of inside joke I didn't get. It wasn't until later that I learned that Liz liked to dress fancy. All the time.

When we reached downstairs, Some of my other cousins were there, running around and shouting things. The kids from the pool. "Are those your brothers and sisters?" I asked.

"Unfortunately. But I like to think that I'm adopted. Makes me feel better. Anyway, that's Lindsay, she's ten, and that's her twin brother, Logan. He's very annoying, so completely avoid him. And then there's Joey. He's nine, and nobody likes him. Not even my parents. So you don't have to pretend, it's okay.But you can refer to him as booger, because that's what he acts like. An annoying little booger"

I laughed. Liz was quiet, but when she spoke, everything she said was hilarious.

Suddenly my mom came down the stairs with Mackenzie. You knew they were coming too, because Mackenzie's voice drowned out other people's voices and even your own voice when she cried. I was used to it, of course, but now poor Liz will be deaf for the rest of the day.

"Mackenzie! Stop your crying this moment or...I'll put you in a time out!" Mom yelled, her voice slightly louder than the shrieking. But she didn't stop. She actually started thrashing about, making mom almost drop her. It wasn't until aunt Susan came in with a lollipop that she calmed down.

"That won't work forever," I warned aunt Susan."When she's done she'll go right back to crying. I should know."

"Well if that doesn't work, what does?" she asked.

"Nothing. Just hope she forgets she's mad. Quick, put her in the car! Maybe the scenery passing by will distract her!"

And it did. It distracted me too. And mom and dad. We were tourists, after all. I saw the Beverly hills sign as we were leaving the area and heading off to Hollywood. Then I saw the Hollywood sign too. I took a picture of it with dad's camera. I had a window seat.

All the windows were rolled down, allowing my brown hair to blow in the wind. It was supposed to look cool, but instead, my hair was whipping at my face, which was very annoying. So I tied it up in a loose ponytail.

Twenty minutes later, we turned into a parking lot. We were following the car ahead of us, with aunt Susan, Liz, my other cousins, and uncle Carl. I finally learned his name.

And in front of us was a buffet. "Home Town Buffet," I read out loud and un-clicked my seat belt, then Mackenzie's. Mom took her out of the car, and fortunately she was in a better mood. Maybe we would eat in peace after all.

Liz waited as I caught up to her and all of us walked into the buffet. It looked like every other buffet. Rugs of course, tables and booths, and the little stands where the food was. Overall it was nice. We walked up to the register lady, whatever you call it. The grown-ups were talking and debating on something. Probably on who would pay.

"I don't like this buffet," Liz said quietly to me, but she was looking at the food stands, watching the people take plates and put food on them.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "why?" I asked. She shrugged then looked at me.

"I don't like the food here, that's all." I nodded.

They let us sit down in a booth by ourselves. Liz was happy because she didn't have to eat with booger and the twins. I was happy because if Mackenzie started crying –which sounds more like thunder booming in your ears– then we could pretend we didn't know them. We chose a booth next to the windows so we could look outside. The sun was shining down on everything, making the cars shine. They hurt my eyes so I looked back inside.

I went over to the beverages and got a cup and filled it halfway with ice and coke. Then I grabbed a plate from one of the stands and started walking around, looking for what I wanted. 'Hmm, let's see.' I thought.

'Mashed potatoes, Spaghetti, fried chicken...I'll just get pizza and french fries. Maybe spaghetti later.'

When I walked back I saw that Liz had gotten the same thing. We both smiled. "So, Leah," Liz said and took a bite of her french fry. She looked so sophisticated while doing it, and I tried to copy her. I probably looked like an idiot.

"Yes?"

"Don't look now, but do you think that guy over there is cute? The one with the brown shirt and light blue jeans? He's two booths away from us, sitting in a table with his family. Oh look, he has brothers."

I laughed. I just found it funny how we just met and already boys were in our conversation. "I dunno, i'll tell you later when I get up again." She nodded, and looked past me again. It was killing me not to look, but it would give us away. He was probably already nervous with all the intense staring Liz was giving him. "Liz look away! He'll notice!" I half whispered, half said to her. But she ignored me.

Five minutes later she reached across the table and smacked my hand repeatedly. "He's getting up! He's getting up!" She yelled and bounced in her seat. Our parents looked over at us. They sat right next to us at a regular table. I rolled my eyes at Liz.

"Why is it that there is always that cute boy at a buffet, anyway?" I asked.

"Come on, let's go get some more food so you can see his face!" Liz yelled, completely, ignoring me.

"But i'm not even done yet Liz!" I shrieked and took a bite of pizza.

"Come on! Food is not important!"

"I think living is. And you need food to live."

"Leah. Come. On!"

"Ugh, fine. I'll go Liz, i'll go." I didn't know that boys made her this excited.

But he was cute. His hair looked cool, the top done up sort of like a mohawk, but the sides of his head weren't shaved. His eyes were a chocolate brown. Yum. I looked over at Liz, whose gaze was on me. I nodded and she smiled widely.

This time I got steak and fries. I like fries, so shoot me. I would have gotten fruit or dessert, but Liz made me leave my plate half full, and, as I had guessed, it was gone by the time I walked back to the booth.

From the corner of my eye, I saw the boy sitting down with his parents and his brothers. I think one was looking at me? Liz walked up to me from behind, and I jumped. "Gah! Don't frigging scare me like that!" I shouted.

"Teehee, sorry!" She giggled, and I saw the boys staring at us. And his parents. And our own family. In fact, practically the whole restaurant was looking our way. I blushed and looked down. I had dropped some of my fries on the floor.

"Yes, well, it's fine," I mumbled and shuffled back to my seat. "That was so embarrassing!" I said half quiet and half loud. I looked around and everyone went back to what they were previously doing. At least they wouldn't remember this. That's the good thing. I embarrassed myself but at least no one knew me. Well except my family, but they didn't count. They're family after all.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you," Liz said. She looked regretful, so she really meant it. I sighed.

"s'not your fault. I should have known it was you Liz." She smiled, and everything went back to normal. And by normal I meant we practically stalked the poor boy around the buffet. You know, teenage girl stuff. Hormones and what not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leah's outfit
Liz's outfit

I don't know, I just couldn't picture in my brain Liz as a casual dresser. So I just went with it.

Also, check out these AHMAZING stories. Seriously.
Vote For Nick, I Mean Nicole!
and this one I wrote with my bestestest friend,
Don't Give Up On Me