Shameless

The Merrick House

We arrived at Zack's parents' house about five minutes later.

When we pulled into the driveway, I could hear Holly crying, and a few people shouting. I yanked my keys out of the ignition, and ran into the house, Alex right behind me.

I was immediately faced with quite a scenario.

Holly was sitting on the floor sobbing, muttering incoherently. Zack would try to comfort her, stroking her hair, but she would just push his hand away and cry harder. Zack's father was sitting in a cushy chair, muttering curse words. Zack and Jace were both sitting on opposite couches. They were both bleeding, their clothes covered with red spots, faces swelling and bruises forming. Jace looked 5 times worse than Zack. Zack's mother continually yelled at him about "cruelly treating the poor boy" as she multitasked, taking care of both Zack and Jace, but paying Jace more attention.

And just about every time Mrs. Merrick yelled at her son, Mr. Merrick would counteract by yelling at Zack about "Well if she didn't completely take after her mother, this wouldn't be a problem." and stuff of that sort.

Alex put a protective arm around my waist.

"Holly?" I choked out.

Her head shot up and her tears came harder as she ran at me, wrapping her arms around my neck. "Mommy, I want to go HOME," she said, her tears soaking my shirt.

"Ohkay," I replied, "Alex would you please take her to the car? I want to talk to Zack."

Alex nodded his head, and Holly released me. I handed Alex the keys and he led her outside.

I turned to face the livingroom of people.

"I'm so sorry this happened, sweetheart," Mrs.Merrick comforted towards me, handing Jace an ice pack, "Zachary just has some protection issues."

"It's fine, Mrs. Merrick," I replied, "She's both of our daughter, and he has the right to take care of her in the way he sees suitable." I turned to Zack. "Zack, I just wish you had a better sense of what was proper."

"Well if you had a better sense of what was decent, we wouldn't be having this problem in the first place," Mr. Merrick mumbled in my direction.

I turned to face him, my face reddening with anger and embarrassment. Zack's father never liked me or how his first and only grandchild was concieved.

"JOHN!" Mrs. Merrick cried. "You could at least be decent to her, Good Lord. Zachary must get his manners from you."

"Thank you, Mrs.Merrick," I said, "I think I should be going." I turned to Jace. "Would you like a ride home?" I asked him.

He tried to nod and winced.

Mrs. Merrick helped him up from the couch and we walked out the door.

Jace and Holly sat in the back, Holly still sniffling and Jace holding the ice pack to his eye.

"I'm so sorry, Jace, so sorry," Holly kept saying throughout the ride to Jace's house. And, every time, he replied with, "It's not your fault Holly, and I'm never going to blame the best thing that has ever happened to me for anything bad that comes my way. I love you."

"I just don't understand why she can't stick with someone as nice as him." I whispered to Alex.

"Four years older, Lily," he replied.

I rolled my eyes and focused on the road.
♠ ♠ ♠
ok, i dont know zacks parents names.

if i got theyre totally wrong, sorrrry! hahah if you know them feel free to inform. lol

COMMENTS PLEASE. xo.