Status: Complete

Not up to Me, Not up to You

Chapter 18

Kelly waddled slowly up PCH with a smoothie in her hand. She’d just called into see the girls at the salon and was now on her way to the bar to see Matt. In simple terms she was bored. She’d started her maternity leave three weeks ago and was fed up of having nothing more to do than wait for the baby to make an appearance.

“Hey Aly how’s things?” Kelly said as she slowly made her way to where Aly was polishing the cutlery.

“Hey, same old, still no sign of the baby?” she replied as Kelly sat on the bar stool opposite her.

“I think he’s set up camp in there.” Kelly groaned rubbing a hand over her large stomach.

“Where’s Matt?” Kelly asked

“There.” She replied pointing to Kelly’s left. She turned to where she was pointing to see Matt walking towards them with a tray of empty glasses in his hand.

“Hey, everything ok?” he asked setting the tray down on the counter as Aly went to serve a customer who had walked up to the bar.

“I guess, just wish he’d come out already. Everyone’s been telling me that first time mom’s don’t usually go over their due date; trust my baby to be stubborn and want to be different.” Kelly chuckled.

“He’ll be out soon, you never know he may be out by the end of the day.” Matt replied.

“God I hope so, it’s really uncomfortable now.” Kelly sighed. Matt gave her a sympathetic look as he went to pour some drinks.

“So what you up to today?” he asked from half way down the bar.

“Just walking around really. I’ve been to see the girls in the salon and after I’ve had a rest here I’m going to walk over to the repair shop to see Brian.” She explained.

“That’s a lot of walking to be doing when you’re nine months pregnant.” Matt said concerned.

“I know, but I’m ok, and I’m hoping that it will get the little bugger shifting.” She said with a smile.

“But what if you go into labour on your way over there?” Matt asked the concern apparent on his face.

“Matt don’t worry, I’ve got this marvellous invention called a cell phone that I can ring people on if I do start going into labour.” Kelly said sarcastically, Matt just rolled his eyes.

“Is it fully charged?” Matt asked and Kelly nodded and smiled.

“Matt stop worrying about me, I’ll be fine, it’s not that far.”

“It’s far enough.” Matt muttered under his breath, but loud enough that Kelly heard him.

“It’ll only take me about an hour to get there and then Brian will be able to drive me home.” Kelly explained to Matt who just shrugged his shoulders.

“Just be careful, I don’t want my son being born on a sidewalk.” He said with a weak smile.

“Hey won’t don’t worry.” Kelly said softly with a reassuring smile.

“Ok, can I get you anything while you rest?” Matt asked knowing that he was never going to get her to change her mind. Kelly looked at her empty smoothie cup and nodded.

“Just a lemonade please.” She asked. Matt nodded and got her drink and placed it down in front of her.

Kelly finished her drink and said good bye to Aly and Matt before beginning her slow walk to where Brian worked. It took her a little over an hour to get there, waddling slowly down the various side walks, surprisingly only stopping twice for a pee.

“Hi, can I help you?” the receptionist asked cheerfully as Kelly walked through the door.

“Hi, um, firstly do you have a restroom I can use?” she asked shifting her weight quickly between feet in a kind of hopping motion.

“Sure, right through there.” She said with a broad smile.

“Thanks, and is Brian around?” she asked making her way over to the restroom door.

“Oh, you must be Kelly. I’ll go fetch him.” She smiled getting up from her chair.

“Thanks!” Kelly yelled her reply as she disappeared through the door.

“Hey babe, everything ok?” Brian asked as Kelly emerged back into the waiting area.

“Much better now.” She said with a smile as he walked around the counter, wiping his large hands in an oil-stained rag. Kelly smiled again as she looked up at him. The top half of his coveralls were wrapped around his waist, his top half was covered by a grubby white shirt with cut-off arms which showed off his tattooed, muscular arms. His messy black hair covered with a skull bandana.

“Babe?” he asked stepping closer to her.

“Hum?” she asked, all concentration lost.

“Like what you see?” Brian asked with a chuckle. A large smirk spread across Kelly’s face, which was mirrored by Brian.

“Damn, you look good in coveralls.” She said huskily as she leaned towards him for a kiss.

“Is that office free today?” she asked in a whisper. Brian gave a small chuckle.

“Sorry babe, you’re going to have to wait until we get home.” He whispered seductively and placed a kiss on her nose.

“How come you’re here anyway?” he added. “Is everything ok with the baby?”

“Yeah, fine, apart from the fact he’s refusing to get out. I just fancied a walk so I headed over here. I figured I’d get here in time for you to finish.” She explained. Brian looked up at the clock behind the desk.

“I’ve just got to finish off this one car, it should take me 20 minutes max.” he said with a smile.

“Ok, I’ll just wait here if that’s ok?” she asked and he nodded.

“I’ll be as quick as I can.” He replied pecking her lips and walking back towards the repair shop area. Kelly watched him walk away. Damn, even in grubby coveralls he still looked fucking hot! She was quickly taken out of her thoughts as a pain ripped through her stomach, as if something inside her was squeezing her insides.

“Kelly are you ok? Shall I get Brian?” the receptionist asked.

“No, I’m ok, the pain’s gone again now.” Kelly said with a forced smile, holding her stomach and catching her breath.

“Are you sure? You’re not going into labour are you?” she asked crouching down beside her.

“No, I’m fine, but I think I need to use the restroom again.” Kelly said. The receptionist, whose name Kelly found out by catching a glimpse of her necklace, was Stephanie, held out her hand to help her up.

“Thanks, if I’m not out in five minutes or you hear screaming, then you can fetch Brian.” Kelly said waddling into the restroom again.

“Shit” Kelly mumbled to herself at the sight of brown discharge on her underwear. “I guess that’s what they call a show?” she added to herself with a shrug of her shoulders.

“Everything ok?” Stephanie asked as Kelly sat back down in the waiting area. Kelly nodded.

“I think I’ve just had a show.” She said with a smile.

“Really? Ooh, he’ll be out before you know it now.” She replied with an excited smile.

“I hope so.” Kelly muttered picking up one of the car magazines and flicking through it without an interest in anything that was in it.

Twenty minutes past and Kelly looked up at the sound of Brian’s voice approaching.

“I’ll give Gary a quick ring now and tell him that he can pick it up in the morning.” Brian said walking into the reception area with his boss. Kelly pouted slightly noticing that he’d changed out of his work clothes.

“Don’t worry, I’ll get Stephanie to do it, you take Kelly home.” Kevin replied patting Brian’s back and glancing over to Kelly.

“Cheers Kev, I’ll see you in the morning, night Steph.” Brian replied before walking over to Kelly, holding out his hands to help her up.

“Come on baby, how about we pick up a take away on the way home?” Brian said kissing her cheek as he laced his fingers with hers.

“Yeah, that sounds good, how about an Indian?” Kelly replied and Brian nodded.

“Are you sure you’re going to be ok with something that spicy?” Brian asked for the third time as he parked the car outside their house.

“For the last time, yes, I’ll be, ooh.” Kelly said grabbing hold of her side as another pain, much like she’d experienced waiting for Brian earlier, filled her stomach.

“Babe? Are you ok? What’s wrong?” Brian asked with wide eyes, panic covering his face. Kelly breathed through the pain, taking hold of the car door and Brian’s hand.

“I’m ok, I think that was another contraction.” She said quietly once the pain had subsided.

“Contraction? You mean the baby’s com… hang on, another contraction?” Brian said his eyes bugging out of his skull even further.

“Um, yeah, I think I had one while I was waiting for you.” Kelly replied casually.

“Oh, and I’ve had a show.” She added opening the car door and getting out.

“Wait? A show? You mean that discharge stuff your midwife told you about?” Brian said loudly as he got out of the car and followed her to the front door.

“Yeah.” Kelly said quietly glancing up at Brian’s worried face.

“And you didn’t think to tell me this?” Brian replied loudly, raising his eyebrows.

“Babe, please don’t yell at me.” Kelly pleaded.

“Sorry babe, it’s just a bit of a shock. Should we go to the hospital or?” he began but was stopped by Kelly shaking her head.

“No, it’s too early. Right now we need to get inside and eat.” She said with a smile which Brian returned as he passed her the keys.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for Jinx, who started pestering me for an update, I hope you all enjoyed it! :)
I want to thank my dedicated readers who take the time after each chapter to leave a comment - it's you guys that keep me writing :) (You know who you are, you guys rock!)
More comments will be great, it'll increase the chance of another update when I get back from my weekend away ;)