Status: Complete

Not up to Me, Not up to You

Chapter 6

Again Kelly found herself sitting in the quiet waiting area of the doctor’s office, reading the same out-dated magazines as the day before. She sighed and gently threw the magazine back onto the pile on the coffee table. She began to read the posters that were on the wall in front of her as Brian laced his fingers with her and pulled her hand up to his lips and kissed it with a smile.

“You’re going to be ok.” He whispered as she smiled and leant her head on his shoulder.

“Miss Stone?” the nurse called and Kelly jumped up and followed her through to Doctor Jacobs’s office.

“Good morning Miss Stone.” The doctor greeted her and Brian as they took a seat.

“Well, we have your results back and I can tell you that you are actually pregnant.” Doctor Jacobs said with a smile as Kelly’s jaw dropped. That was the last thing she was expecting to hear.

“Pardon?” she gasped hearing exactly what he said, her mouth suddenly becoming dry.

“You’re pregnant. Now we’ll need to do a scan to be sure but I would guess that you’re still very early on which is why you haven’t experienced any other symptoms.” He explained as Kelly’s heart rate began to quicken.

“Shit” Kelly sighed. “When can I have the scan? Could I be less than two weeks?” Kelly asked knowing that if she was more than 2 weeks it was definitely Matt’s. Anything fewer than two weeks and there was a chance of it being either Matt’s or Brian’s. She needed that scan.

“Yes you could be less than two weeks, and bear with me while I see how soon I can get an appointment for a scan.” He said picking up the phone and dialling a number.

“Didn’t see that one coming.” Kelly said quietly turning to face Brian while the doctor spoke on the phone. Brian silently shook his head and took a deep breath.

“Definitely a bit of a shock.” He replied quietly.

“Babe, if you can’t-“Kelly began but was cut off by the doctor hanging up the phone.

“Well, there’s been a cancelation so if you head over there now you’ll be able to have your scan today.” He said with a smile which Kelly returned.

“Thank you Doctor Jacobs.” Kelly smiled getting up.

“You’re welcome; I’ll probably see you in a few weeks for your routine check ups.” He said rising from his chair with a smile.

Kelly and Brian were silent until they got out of the car at the hospital. Kelly didn’t move once she was out of the car, she just watched Brian walk around from the passenger side with no readable expression on his face. He stopped when he noticed she wasn’t moving, but then took a step closer to her.

“Brian, I’ll understand if you can’t-“she began quietly but was stopped by Brian’s lips being pressed up against hers.

“Baby, what did I tell you yesterday? I’ll be here for you no matter what. I love you.” he whispered before placing another soft kiss on her lips.

“But what if the baby is Matt’s? It’s a very big possibility.” She whispered as tears welled up in her eyes.

“I know that. But you having Matt’s baby wouldn’t make me love you any less.” He replied with a smile which Kelly returned.

“I love you.” she whispered placing another sweet kiss on his lips.

Brian took hold of Kelly’s hand as they waited for the nurse to come and do the scan. She’d been waiting in the hospital waiting room for over an hour as she’d been told to drink two pints of water before he scan or they wouldn’t be able to get a clear picture.

She was led on the treatment table with a full bladder and she was starting to feel sick again.

“Sorry about the wait Ms Stone, but there was a problem with another patient.” The young bubbly blonde nurse said walking into the room.

“So have you drunk plenty of water?” she asked sitting on the stool beside the bed and turning on the sonogram machine.

“Just a bit.” Kelly said sarcastically as the nurse took a look at her file.

“Good, now then, this gel is going to be a bit cold, do you mind raising your shirt a little and rolling down the waistband of your jeans?” she asked. Kelly nodded and did what she was asked. She winced as the nurse spread the cold gel over the lower half of her stomach and gripped Brian’s hand as pressure was applied to her bladder and the need to pee became overwhelming.

“Right lets have a look.” The nurse said as she moved the scan wand over the cold gel.

“Well, you are definitely pregnant. See that small dot.” She said pointing at what looked like millions of white and black dots packed together.

“I can’t see it.” Kelly choked. The nurse smiled warmly and brought the screen closer.

“You see that bid black dot in the middle? That’s your womb. And that small little dot on the edge is your baby.” She explained and a large smile appeared in Kelly’s face as she nodded.

“Now judging by its size, I would say that you’re very early on. No later than 3 weeks.” She said.

Kelly breathed a small sigh and glanced at Brian who was smiling as he stared at the monitor.

“It could be yours.” Kelly whispered as he glanced up at her. Out of the corner of her eye Kelly saw the nurse shoot them both a look.

“Yes you heard right!” Kelly snapped causing the nurse to blush as she began to remove the gel.

“Sorry, I couldn’t help but overhear.” She replied blushing more.

“It’s ok.” Brian replied with a small smile.

“Here’s a picture of the scan.” The nurse said passing Kelly a small black and white image. Kelly looked at it and sighed deeply.

“Can I ask a question?” Kelly said quietly causing the nurse to stop what she was doing and turning to face her.

“How soon would I be able to do a paternity test?” Kelly asked.

“There is a test we can do, but you’ve got to be at least 13 weeks.” The nurse explained.

“Will I need samples from both possible fathers?” Kelly asked as she felt herself blush.

“No, one will be enough. Obviously then if the test shows that he’s not the father, logic takes us to the other guy.” The nurse said and Kelly and Brian both nodded.

“I can get some leaflets and information about it ready for the next time you come if you want.” The nurse added and again Kelly nodded.

“That would be good. Thank you.” she replied with a smile and another glance down at the scan photo.

“I’ve really got to go pee.” She said suddenly, letting go of Brian’s hand and going in search of the nearest toilet.

Kelly slumped down onto the couch, into Brian’s open arms and placed her head on his chest.

“Feeling better?” he asked, kissing the top of her head.

“A little. I guess it’s something I’m going to have to get used to for the next couple of weeks at least.” She replied

“And then there’s the getting fat, the stretch marks, the weird cravings, the mood swings.” She added with a chuckle.

“These next couple of weeks are going to be the worst though. Not knowing if the baby’s yours or Matt’s.” she said quietly as Brian played with her hair.

“I know. It’s going to be the longest 10 weeks of my life.” Brian replied.

“You do realise that there’s a bigger chance of it being Matt’s don’t you?” Kelly asked lifting her head to look at Brian who nodded.

“Yeah I know. And although every part of me is wishing that I’m the father, I’m preparing to help you bring up Matt’s child.” He replied leaning down and placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

“If it is Matt’s kid then I wouldn’t blame you if you kicked me out and wanted nothing more to do with me.” Kelly whispered.

“Baby, weren’t you listening to me earlier? I won’t love you any less just because you’re having Matt’s baby. I’m not going anywhere and neither are you.” he replied kissing her forcefully on the lips. Kelly moaned quietly into the kiss and slowly slipped down onto the sofa with Brian on top of her, his hand running up her side.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well I think most of you guessed that she was pregnant right? But whose is it? whose do you guys want it to be? Answers on a post card or in a comment please...............
:)