Status: Complete

Not up to Me, Not up to You

Chapter 9

“If the doctor takes much longer my bladder is going to burst!” Kelly said loudly as she, Matt and Brian waited to be seen for her sonogram. “The little fucker is right on my bladder.” She mumbled just as the nurse called her name.

As Brian and Matt both got up to join her Kelly noticed the nurse give them all a confused look.

“He’s my lover, he’s the baby’s father.” Kelly explained bluntly pointing at Brian and Matt in turn.

“They can both come in can’t they?” she asked and the nurse nodded and blushed as she led them through to the treatment room. Kelly positioned herself on the bed ready, rolling down her waistband of her jeans and pulling up her top over her ever growing bump.

Brian sat down beside the bed and took hold of Kelly’s hand while Matt stood silently at the end of the bed, staring blankly at the scan monitor.

“Good afternoon Miss Stone. How are we feeling today?” The young ginger nurse said asked as she walked into the room and sat on her stool beside the machine.

“In desperate need of a pee.” Kelly muttered.

“Sorry, I’ll try and be quick. I’m Leanne; I’m going to be your midwife.” She said with a warm smile.

“Thanks.” Kelly muttered.

“Ok, Let’s get started.” She said squeezing out the cold gel onto Kelly’s stomach.

“May I ask who this other young man is?” she asked turning to smile at Matt who shifted uncomfortably on his feet.

“This is Matt. The father.” Kelly explained as Leanne switched the scan machine on and placed the wand on her stomach.

Before any more comments could be made the room was filled with a loud, strange noise. Everyone’s eyes fell on the screen as an image appeared clearly.

“Well, there’s a strong heartbeat.” Leanne said with a smile.

“Let’s see where he or she is hiding.” She added searching her bump with the wand.

“Now, do you want to know what you’re having or do you want a surprise?” she asked with a smile that said “I already know.”

Kelly looked up at Matt and then across at Brian, the doctor’s eyes following her, and then smiled back at her.

“We want to know.” She said simply.

“Ok then, let’s have a look.” She said happily.

“Can you see that mark there?” she asked moments later pointing at the screen. Everyone moved their head closer to the screen to take a look. Kelly nodded as the doctor looked up at her.

“That tells us it’s a boy.” She smiled.

Kelly’s heart rate quickened as she gave Brian’s hand a squeeze. She looked up at Matt who had a beaming smile across his face.

“Everyone happy?” the doctor asked looking at the three smiling faces.

“Now the rest of him looks well developed, the right size, have you felt him kick yet?” she said looking up at Kelly.

“Just small flutters so far, no real big kicks.” Kelly replied.

“That’s probably because he seams to have a lot of water around him and because of the way he was laying. He’s moved position since the last scan though so you’ll probably start to feel him the next time he’s active.” She explained.

“Right, well he’s doing great. A nice healthy size, no problems. I’ll get you a print out and then you can be on your way.” The doctor said handing Kelly some paper towels to wipe the gel off her stomach.

“Can I go to the toilet while you’re printing those photos off?” Kelly asked and the doctor nodded. “Two copies. Matt needs one too.” she added running through the door towards the restrooms.

“Do you really have to go back to work?” Kelly whined as the three of them made their way through the hospital parking lot towards their cars.

“Sorry babe, it’s only for a couple of hours, and you’ve got to go back as well.” Brian replied with a smile. He knew why she didn’t want to go back to work.

“But I’m really-“

“I know babe, but I guess you’ll have to wait until we get home.” He said as a low growl left her throat.

“Come on, the quicker I get you to work the quicker I can get back to the garage and finish working on that car and then I can pick you up.” Brian replied ushering her towards the car.

“Where do you work?” Matt asked.

“Maxed Performance repair shop, just like five minutes away.” Brian replied and Matt nodded.

“I could give Kelly a ride if you don’t mind.” Matt suggested. “I mean I have to pass the salon on my way to the bar and it’ll save you doubling back on yourself.” He added. Kelly turned to Brian and smiled.

“It would make sense.” She said as he smiled back at her.

“Yeah, I guess it would. Cheers dude.” Brian said with a nod of his head in Matt’s direction.

“Ok, I’ll see you later.” Kelly said turning to face Brian, stretching up to kiss him.

“Just don’t get too horny in the car. I don’t want him to take advantage.” Brian smiled as he placed another kiss on her lips.

“Babe, you don’t need to worry, just don’t work too hard, you’re going to need plenty of energy for when we get home.” She whispered with a smirk as she placed another kiss in lips before turning to walk with Matt to his car.

“So he’s a mechanic huh?” Matt said breaking the silence as they drove out of the hospital parking lot.

“Yeah.” Kelly replied simply with a smile.

“I’ve been thinking.” Matt began timidly causing Kelly to turn and look at him.

“If it’s ok with you, I want to open up a savings account for the baby and start putting money into it for him.” He added. Kelly beamed at him.

“Of course that’s ok with me. Matt, that’s one of the nicest, sweetest things anyone could do.” She said as they pulled up outside the salon where she worked.

“I just want to make sure that he never has to go without. With that money, if you ever can’t afford something for him, it’s there for him.” Matt said. “I don’t want Brian to have to resort to anything drastic again.” he said turning to face Kelly with a weak smile.

“Matt, he- Wow!” Kelly yelled quickly placing her hand on her bump.

“Kelly? What’s –“Matt yelled.

“Matt quick give me your hands!” Kelly yelled reaching for his large hands and placing them on top of her bump. They sat quietly in that position for a moment before Matt spoke.

“Did he kick?” he asked looking up at her as she nodded. She opened her mouth to say something but stopped as the baby gave out another strong kick. Matt’s hands would have flown off her stomach if it wasn’t for Kelly’s keeping them in place.

“Oh my god, that’s amazing.” Matt whispered.

“That’s just made everything a million times more real.” He said quietly with his hands still on her stomach. Kelly nodded as she smiled at him and took her hands off his. Matt took this as a hint and removed his hands as well.

“I haven’t got another appointment for a while.” Kelly said grabbing her purse from beside her feet.

“But maybe we could meet up for lunch or something?” she added with a warm smile.

“Yeah, I’d like that.” Matt said returning the smile.

“Ok, so I’ll give you a call.” She said getting out of his SUV. “Try and think of some names. The only good ones I’ve come up with so far have been for girls.” She added with a smile, which again he returned.

“So? Do we know now?” Gena yelled as Kelly walked into the salon.

“Yes we do.” Kelly said simply as she hung up her jacket and purse.

Gena and the other girls in the salon just stared at her in anticipation.

“Oh, you guys want to know too?” Kelly questioned innocently.

“Kelly Stone tell us, oh so help me I’ll fire your pregnant arse!” Gena yelled. Kelly was about to answer when a ringing noise came from her purse.

“Well, are you going to tell me? Am I having a niece or a nephew?” Jimmy yelled down the phone.

“Jesus Jimmy are you trying to deafen me?” she replied cautiously placing the phone back to her ear.

“Just tell me woman!” he yelled.

“I’m having a boy.” Kelly said smiling and quickly pulled the phone away from her ear and Jimmy began to cheer loudly down the phone. She was then met with a hug from Gena and a few of the other girls and almost forgot about Jimmy until she heard him yell her name down the phone.

“Sorry honey, I was mobbed my excited beauticians.” she said.

“That’s ok, I was only trying to tell you to call him Jimmy or Owen?” he replied causing Kelly to giggle.

“Hey don’t laugh! Those are two great names!” he yelled.

“I wasn’t laughing. I’ll think about it and talk them over with Matt and Brian.” She said.

“But honey, I’ve got to go, I should do some work today, I’ll call you tomorrow.” She added.

“Ok, love you.” Jimmy cheered.

“Love you too Jimbo.” She replied hanging up and taking a seat behind the reception desk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments take less than a minute to make - Surely you can spare that seeing the amount of time this chapter took to write...... And they make me smile :) and get me updating quicker! Although I've currently got a bit of writer's block on this story.... :(
COMMENTS?