Breaking Down the Unbreakable

I Wonder What it Would Be Like to Swim in Jell-o

"What took you so long?" Ali had her bag al packed up and was counting the second until class was over.
"Oh, I ran into Seth." I shrugged, trying to make her think it was no big deal. Even though it totally was! I guess my lying skills aren't what they used to be.
"Seth? Like Seth Rider? Tall, gorgeous, badass I'm-God's-gift-to-the-world Seth? Seth Rider who gave you a ride this morning?" She was pulling the sleeve of my sweatshirt like a 2-year-old.
"Yeah. Seriously it's not a big deal." Total lie. But no one needs to know that.
"Bull!" Except Ali. "I may have only known you a day, but you're not exactly the hardest book to read."
"I am to everyone else."
"But you forget." She struck a pose. "I'm amazing!"
"Oh right. You're like Wonder Woman reincarnated." I laughed at her superhero pose.
"Screw Wonder Woman. I mean she claims to be all woman power and the she goes to fight crime in a bathing suit. So Lame!"
"Oh, forgive me Ali the Amazing."
"Don't worry small citizen. I don't hold grudges against those I protect."
We kept pace all the way to the choir room laughing about Superhero women through history and debating whether or not Jean Grey could beat Superman. We think she could, but as soon as Ethan and Chase heard, they immediately came to save Superman's reputation.
We all sat on the back step discussing superhero wimps and winners when Ali suddenly remembered the source of the conversation and poked my side. I looked at her ready to smack her arm when I saw what had caught her attention.
Seth had walked in with Dominic.
Now normally this isn't a weird sight. Dominic wasn't here yesterday, as Ali had told me, when I asked why he was here today. But obviously something wasn't right about the situation, since Ali looked like her eyes were going to explode. That's when I noticed Evan behind Ali with a glow around her face I'd only seen when she had some really juicy gossip.
I looked back again, trying to figure it out. I mean I was at a slight disadvantage seeing as Dominic wasn't here yesterday, but after a few seconds, it was pretty obvious.
As they walked in and sat down where Seth had been sitting yesterday, Seth was smiling.
And not his stupid smirk. Like a real genuine million-dollar smile.
I was floored. I mean not only was Ali whispering how she thought his smile had to do something with me, but his smile was amazing.
Remember how I said Tom Cruise, Shane West and Chad Michael Murray together weren't as gorgeous as him? Well when he smiles, every gorgeous actor in the world looks ugly in comparison.
"Don't you think?" Ali had turned her observations to Evan, who was nodding profusely.
"Ali, I had nothing to do with anything. I didn't do anything."
"That's not what I heard!" Evan had so many ears working for her, it was like she was running a spy operation in the school looking for secret nuclear war plans. "I heard that you got a ride from him this morning, which no one other than Dominic who's been best friends with Seth since the 4th grade has ever gotten. And I have on good authority that you and him were seen talking in the office at the end of 2nd hour today."
"He said hello, so I said hi back. Not something to change the course of history."
"He said Hello?" Ali had the 2-year-old look again. "Was that it?"
"Ali, the guy hates me."
"He offered you a ride!" Evan seriously didn't know when to keep her mouth shut.
"His mom forced him." I rolled my eyes.
"How? She's a schoolteacher at Robinson Elementary. She leaves for school at 6:30 every morning." Seriously, it's scary how much this girl knows!
"I don't know how! I didn't ask for details. He said I'd be late if I didn't take up the offer, so I said ok."
"He's concerned with you being at school. And on time. He's definitely interested." What? Does she speak boy?
"Only because without me here, he can't torture me."
"Or admire you." Ali pointed discreetly behind me, where I knew Seth was sitting with Dominic, but I didn't want to turn around.
And not only because I didn't want Ali and Evan to be right, but because I didn't want to know that he was looking. I didn't want him to be interested in me like that. I just wanted to figure out why he was so cold inside and fix it so he'd leave me alone.
"Fine, Riley. Don't look. But at least take my word that he's totally watching you." She smiled like that was a good thing.
"Ali! I don't want him to be looking at me." I widened my eyes for emphasis. "I don't need the guy every girl wants to be with to like me. I don't need that on my plate with everything I already have to deal with. You know, like the fact that he's my neighbor and you didn't warn me!"
"He's your neighbor?" Evan was immediately engaged in the conversation. It was like she attracted gossip. "As in he lives next to you?"
"Yeah, that's what neighbor means."
"Riley! This is huge!"
"No, this isn't! Because I'm not going to get involved with the school's badass! And he doesn't need to be involved with me. The relationship we have is strictly platonic. As in no intention of being anything more than neighbors."
"Not having intentions doesn't mean something won't happen." I think Evan was planning something but I was afraid to know what, so I left it alone.
"Nothing will happen."
"That's what you think." Ali smiled as if she knew some big secret I didn't know.
And of course, before I could mutilate her with questions and pound the answers out of her, Han walked out of her office singing something about music and shows and auditions.
She was safe for now.
The class proceeded with some new music for our dinner theater show thing and some review of old songs we (they) had for the past week. I was still fumbling, but it's ok.
By the end of class, I was ready for something easy, like art. I loved singing, but it really did take a lot out of a girl! Plus I didn't like people being able to hear me, which sort of defeats the purpose.
Ali and I were grabbing our things, when she leaned over to me.
"Please, just look to the door right now."
And, not realizing what was going on, I looked over and saw Seth waiting for Dominic who was getting a drink at the water fountain.
Only he wasn't glaring at Dominic for making him wait. He was looking at me. And smiling.
And suddenly I knew exactly what it was like to be Jell-o.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so I'm sorry it took so long...I had finals and stuff going down, so I hope this makes up for me not writing for a few days!
And thank you to Imagine... and heartonsleevex3 for leaving me wonderful comments after the last update! Let me know what you think! it helps me write faster!
I love you ALL!!!
~Tracicita~