Breaking Down the Unbreakable

You'd Think He'd Be Over the Cooties Stage

I don't know what I expected him to do, but he definitely didn't do that. I mean, I was thinking maybe he'd like push me away, or tell me I was dreaming, or anything but what he did.
But of course, there I was, in the arms of the 'badass' of my high school staring at his red cheeks. Yes! He was blushing!
"You think I'm adorable! And you're blushing!" I smiled and let out a small giggle which scared me. I mean, I don't giggle! I'm the type of girl who'll laugh so hard they cry, or snort or even squeak. But I don't giggle. Until now.
"Hey, take it easy. I'm new at this."
"New at what?"
"Being around a girl."
"You are surrounded and worshiped by girls every day pretty much all day. In fact I'm pretty sure there was a girl trying to scale the wall to your window last night." I laughed a little more like me that time.
"No, I mean being around a girl I want to be around."
"For someone who's new to being around girls, you're doing remarkably well." I pointed to the area around us. "I mean, in 2 days you managed to get a girl alone, in an amazing place like Evan's garden, and you got her in your arms."
I felt a small tug on my arms as he pulled me away from his body. But as soon as I saw his smile, I knew it wasn't bad.
"I know you think I'm a total jerk, but I want you to know I'm not. I mean, I'm just like that at school because I feel like I shouldn't be there. Those people don't care who I am. They just want the chance to say they're friends with me, or they know me, but they don't."
"Seth, I know you're not a jerk. I mean, if you were, I know you would have tried something with me out here alone. And I understand about people at school." I took his hand in mine. "I hope you know that."
"I do." He pulled me back into a hug and I smiled to myself.
"And you can trust me, right?" I looked up at him.
He smiled, but didn't respond. Instead he brought one hand from my back to brush a lock of hair from my face and held my cheek in his hand. I couldn't help but smile.
And before I could say anything, his lips were on mine. And my arms were wrapped around his neck. And right there, in Evan's garden, at my first party with my first friends, I was getting my first kiss.
And let me just say, it was amazing. Of course, I have nothing to compare to, but at that moment, I didn't want to compare it to anything.
The kiss ended, sooner than I would have liked, and I leaned back into his chest. I didn't know why, but I liked being right there. At that moment, it didn't matter about my family, or my life. And it didn't matter about his. It just mattered that I was there. Because for whatever reason, I felt like I was supposed to be in his arms, right then and right there.
"Your friends are going to wonder where you are." He whispered into my hair.
"Nah. They're fine without me."
"They noticed when you didn't come downstairs, I think they'll probably notice if you've mysteriously disappeared." It was his turn to laugh at his own joke.
"Wait. You noticed I wasn't downstairs?"
"Maybe."
"So you were the other one Ali said would miss me."
"I don't know."
"You're a bad liar. Well, they don't have to worry about me. I'm a big girl. I can tie my own sandals and everything." I knew he probably wouldn't get it, but it was one of my favorite lines.
"Hercules?" Oh my goodness. He's perfect!
"You know my movie reference?" I pulled away a little so I could look up into his face.
"My sister would make me watch every Disney movie on the face of the planet every time she got the chance. Hercules was one of her favorites."
"Was it her room we were in last night?" I didn't know if the question was too much. And I didn't want to make him mad with my questions.
"Yes." I pulled back into his chest and gave a tiny squeeze, which he returned. I wanted him to know I was there, and I wasn't leaving.
I had seen the sorrow in his eyes when he said the single word, and I wanted to ask a million questions, but I figured there was only 1 that wouldn't make him want to push me in the fountain we were standing next to.
"What was her name?" The words came out in a whisper. Almost like my brain was telling him he didn't have to answer.
"Lauren." He leaned his chin on my head. I'm not sure why, but I had a feeling he didn't want me to see his face for some reason.
"She looked really pretty in those pictures."
"She is." I could hear the smile in his words. "She's my light."
"How old is she?"
"12. She'll be 13 in June."
I pulled away to smile up at him. I could see his eyes were a little shinier, like his eyes were getting ready to cry, but he was smiling. And that made me smile even more.
Of course, nothing about my life is ever fair, and somehow I knew it would be ruined.
And I knew it because at that moment, I head Dominic calling Seth from down the path.
"Dude! Your mom's been calling me!" He was running down the path holding up his cell. I didn't know him very well, but the look told me something wasn't right. "She wants to talk to you."
Seth grabbed the phone and took a few steps away from me, speaking in a low voice.
"What's going on?" I turned to Dominic, who didn't respond, but stood watching Seth pace back and forth. "Tell me what's going on!"
That's when Seth slapped the phone shut.
"Dude. We've got to go. Now." Seth handed the phone back to Dominic, and the 2 started walking away, back down the path.
"What's going on?" I yelled as the 2 retreated. Seth turned back and hurried back to me.
"I can't explain it. I've got to go." He kissed my forehead and looked into my eyes. "I'm sorry. My mom needs me."
And then he walked away. Leaving me in the garden, by the fountain, under the stars.
I watched the 2 jog down the path and walk around the house escaping through the side yard, and once I knew they were gone, I dropped down on the edge of the fountain, holding my head in my hands.
Somehow I felt like I could have done more for him. I didn't know what, or how, but I could have.
And that's what brought the tear to my eye. The first tear I'd cried since that day 2 years ago.
It was like the stupid firsts would never end.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so there's the kiss everyone's been dying to see happen! I hope you like it.
Of course, there's the big twist! I hope you don't hate me! :)
Thank you a million time infinity for the comments!
Let me know what you think of this one too, ok!?
~Tracicita~