Breaking Down the Unbreakable

As Close to Perfect As Anything Ever Was

That morning I had woken up to Mrs. Rider shaking me gently and some freakishly bright light coming in through the window across from me. Seth showed up a few minutes later with some bagels and orange juice.
As we sat eating on the couch, I told him part of my plan. At least the part that he needed to know for the time being.
"So I was thinking it would be cool if you sang with me at the concert." He looked up from his bagel mid bite. He had cream cheese on the corner of his mouth and I had to laugh.
"Are you serious? Riles that's your mom's song. I don't want to ruin it for you." I took a napkin and wiped his mouth like I was his mom.
"Ruin it? Seth, I wouldn't ask you if I didn't want you to sing with me. And I mean think about it. You've been harmonizing with me when we practice and it sounds really good."
"But Riley, it's your song. It's something between you and your mom."
"And now, it's between you and me too." I set my bagel down and took his hand. "You're the first person to see me as more than the army brat and you're the only person I've ever told about this song besides my family. This song connects you and me just as much as it does me and my mom."
"If you're sure you want this, then I'll sing with you." He smiled at me.
"I want this."
The next week was one of the best and worst weeks I've ever experienced.
Well, school sucked. Not just because of the classes, but think about it. The most sought after guy in my high school asked me to be his 1st official girlfriend ever. I was bound to be hated by about 95% of the female population. If not more.
I think even the female teachers on campus glared at me a little.
But none of that mattered as soon as I saw him smile at me. The smile every girl wanted to say was for her.
On top of that, Han was going crazy with concert prep. She was constantly on the phone with the caterer or the florist or the lights and sound guy. And when she wasn't snapping at someone on the other line, she was rearranging us on the risers or making sure we knew exactly what we were supposed to wear.
Evan had decided that she was going to dress me again for the concert. She said she had, "the perfect dress" for me to wear. The general wear was dressy black. And she said she had that covered.
Of course, she said she knew she also had the ideal outfit for my duet with Seth too. I didn't know what it was, and she wouldn't tell me, but she promised she'd make sure Seth and I matched. Which frightened me just a little.
But I didn't get much say in the matter. Evan's the kind of girl that gets an idea and goes with it.
So all I really had to worry about was the actual song.
Seth and I spent countless hours working to make it sound just right.
Ok, so half the time was spent flirting or laughing or making fun of something stupid I did. But other than that we were working to make the song perfect.
The concert was on Friday night. But by Wednesday after school, I knew we were ready. Seth had been thinking about the harmonies and the piano for days and I think if he tried to change anything else his head would explode.
"Seth, relax." I was standing behind him with my arms around his shoulders as he erased another note. I took the pencil out of his hand and threw it to the floor. "If you try to do one more thing to that piece of paper, I'm going to destroy it."
"You want to destroy my work?" He leaned his head back on my shoulder and looked up at me.
"Want to? No. But I'm the kind of girl that does what she has to in order to keep the people around her sane."
"I'm not going insane, I just want it to be perfect." He twisted around on the piano bench and pulled me onto his lap.
"Baby, I've been around long enough to know that perfect doesn't exist. The only thing we can do is the best we can." I kissed him. "And you are trying so hard that you're going to over think it."
He let out a sigh and brought me in closer.
"You know me too well. How did you do that in less than 2 weeks?"
"I'm just that amazing. I think Ali's powers are rubbing off on me." He laughed a little. "Which reminds me. Ali and Dominic and the rest of them going to be here soon to go get ice cream."
Seth's been hanging around with me and Ali a lot lately, and eventually Dominic decided being a loner wasn't much fun.
"Do we have to?" Seth leaned his head against my shoulder and I pushed him a little.
"Seth! Of course we do! She's my best friend."
"No, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant I like sitting here with you."
"Don't get any ideas mister." I poked his chest before leaning my forehead against his.
"Me? Ideas?" He smirked.
"Oh, that's right. You and thinking don't go very well together." I kissed him quickly before scooting out of the room as fast as I could.
And for good reason. It took him about 5 seconds to realize what I'd said and come barreling after me into the choir room.
"Hey! That's not very nice!" He chased me around the piano a few times before he finally got a hold on my waist and brought me back into his chest holding me securely so I couldn't escape.
"Crap! I'm dead! He's got me! Help!" I screamed like a crazy woman struggling against his hold. Of course, I knew how to get out of the hold, but come on. Why would I want to?
"Would you shut up?" He kissed my neck a few times. "You know, you're a pain in the butt."
"Yes, but I'm your pain in the butt!" I turned around in his arms and wrapped mine around his neck.
"Oh goody." He rolled his eyes, but smiled at me nonetheless before leaning down and kissing me right there in the middle of the choir room by the piano.
"Get a room!" We pulled apart and saw Ali standing in the doorway with the rest of the group crowded behind her.
"We have one. It's not my fault you chose to come into it." I winked at her and pulled Seth's lips back to mine, hearing the groans of annoyance from the door.
"Maybe we should just go get the ice cream without them." I heard Dominic's deep voice sigh.
"Yeah, obviously they don't want any." Chase piped up and I heard him drop his skateboard to the ground.
"Hey love birds! Let's go!" Ali was yelling at us. "You'll have plenty of time for that on the honeymoon. Right now I want my ice cream!"
I flipped them off behind Seth's head, but pulled away anyway and grabbed his hand pulling him along so we could pile into Seth and Dominic's cars are go get our ice cream.
Everything was set for Friday's concert. It was going to be the best!
And I couldn't wait.
But for now, all that mattered was where I was sitting. My boyfriend driving next to me and my friends in behind me.
Could life get any better than this?
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so I know it took me forever to get this out, but I had a super crazy weekend! Like SUPER crazy!
And thank you to Twilightdream for correcting me on my MS research. And though I'm not changing in the the story on here, if I ever use this anywhere else, I'll be sure to get it right!
And thank you a million and four to those of you who've been commenting!
There's 1 more for sure, and maybe 2 if I want to do like an epilouge thing, but it's almost over!
But no worries! I'm working on another idea in my head which should be out soon! so I would love it if you'd check it out when I put it up!
Let me know what you think, ok???
~Tracicita~